shape
carat
color
clarity

New (double sided) star sapphire project

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t yet have this stone in my sticky little hand but it’s paid for.

I’m now debating exactly how to set it.

The colour of the stone isn’t exciting and it’s not very big (about 10.5mm by 7mm) but is rather unique because it has a star visible on both the top (very sharp) and the bottom (less so). I just couldn’t resist.

Vendor pics:
Front
IMG_3360.jpeg

Back
IMG_3361.jpeg

Given this rare double star feature I was going to set it as a pendant so it could spin both ways. But I’ve really had my heart set on a more art deco style ring.

So I’m thinking of combining the two - an art deco style frame with a spinning / flip centre. I may be mad and not sure this is even doable. But am going to try.

This is the inspiration ring.
IMG_3344.jpeg

But instead of that claw set centre I want a swivel built in (either horizontal or vertical) - so the centre can flip - kind of like this
IMG_3346.jpeg

IMG_3362.jpeg

Think this will work?!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if it can work but that is an awesome stone! I really hope someone knows how to do this.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes! There are plenty of Victorian watch fobs that spin like this. Usually it's two different sides--two stones set back to back or a seal on one side and a mourning piece under glass on the other, or some such--but there's no reason you couldn't do that with a star sapphire, is there? The only issue I can think of is making sure the bezel is deep enough to hold.

I LOVE that sapphire!!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So cool! I love the idea of a ring that can spin!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
What about setting the stone in the 'mid-spin' position? If it was possible it means you'd see both sides of the star, instead of one side always being against your finger. Beautiful stone.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool stone!

A reversible ring is certainly possible. A while ago I was looking for a double-sided crystal opal. I talked to a jeweller about a reversible ring. He actually had an existing design. (Sorry, I can't find pictures.) But I never found the opal...

Some thoughts:

How thick is the stone? The mounting will have to be high enough for the dome on either side.

Both sides of the stone are pretty similar. So, in a reversible ring, the double-sidedness won't be so obvious. Maybe you could make the spinning part removable and/or useable as a pendant. Then you could take it out and play with it and have the best of both worlds. Of course, you would want to be confident that the mechanism was secure.

I've never seen a double-sided star! @Starstruck8 Is this a rare phenomena?

Well, I just love this wild idea and also prefer the bezel. Will the "flip" mounting click into place? That's the only thing I would worry about... that the flip would be in a constant state of "in-between." But if you can figure out a way to keep it secured on either side, I think this is going to be impossibly cool.

Very cool stone!

A reversible ring is certainly possible. A while ago I was looking for a double-sided crystal opal. I talked to a jeweller about a reversible ring. He actually had an existing design. (Sorry, I can't find pictures.) But I never found the opal...

Some thoughts:

How thick is the stone? The mounting will have to be high enough for the dome on either side.

Both sides of the stone are pretty similar. So, in a reversible ring, the double-sidedness won't be so obvious. Maybe you could make the spinning part removable and/or useable as a pendant. Then you could take it out and play with it and have the best of both worlds. Of course, you would want to be confident that the mechanism was secure.

Jinx...
martini.gif

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I've never seen a double-sided star! @Starstruck8 Is this a rare phenomena?

Typically, the 'starriness' (the rutile needle inclusions) goes right through the stone, so most stones could be cut to show a star on both sides. But because of inclusions, zoning and other issues, one side will be better than the other. So usually only the best side is cut and polished. In translucent/transparent stones, the bottom is usually roughened, to prevent distracting reflections. At least, that's how I understand it.

Typically, the 'starriness' (the rutile needle inclusions) goes right through the stone, so most stones could be cut to show a star on both sides. But because of inclusions, zoning and other issues, one side will be better than the other. So usually only the best side is cut and polished. In translucent/transparent stones, the bottom is usually roughened, to prevent distracting reflections. At least, that's how I understand it.

Interesting, thank you! My opal is considered double-sided, but the back is solely blue and green and rather inferior.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t yet have this stone in my sticky little hand but it’s paid for.

I’m now debating exactly how to set it.

The colour of the stone isn’t exciting and it’s not very big (about 10.5mm by 7mm) but is rather unique because it has a star visible on both the top (very sharp) and the bottom (less so). I just couldn’t resist.

Vendor pics:
Front
IMG_3360.jpeg

Back
IMG_3361.jpeg

Given this rare double star feature I was going to set it as a pendant so it could spin both ways. But I’ve really had my heart set on a more art deco style ring.

So I’m thinking of combining the two - an art deco style frame with a spinning / flip centre. I may be mad and not sure this is even doable. But am going to try.

This is the inspiration ring.
IMG_3344.jpeg

But instead of that claw set centre I want a swivel built in (either horizontal or vertical) - so the centre can flip - kind of like this
IMG_3346.jpeg

IMG_3362.jpeg

Think this will work?!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So it has arrived.

I’m honestly blown away by this stone.

It’s the most clear, transparent, delicate star sapphire I’ve ever seen. It’s almost like a Moonstone with a star. The star is SO sharp, all the way to the edges of the stone and rolls across it smooth as silk. And the star on the back is almost as good as the one one the front.

Usually I have high hopes and end up being lightly underwhelmed. And I immediately see all the issues (not as big as I thought, too deep, I can see that inclusion when I hold the stone one inch from me eye etc.), then it takes me some time to fall in love with it again. The exception is my OEC three stone which I adored on sight and still do.

I will post pics tomorrow in the daylight as it arrived after dark. I hope I can do it justice.

Now I’ve seen it I just can’t bear to experiment with a technically complicated setting. I’m still very keen to be able to see both sides of the stone but I think I will achieve that by having a fully open back.

I almost don’t want to set it because it’s just so purely gorgeous. Just so unusual to have a stone which doesn’t have an “ugly side”. I want to keep playing with it but am terrified to drop it. Might have to take it to bed tonight!

How exciting! I can't wait to see your pix/vids!! A PSer recently said he just carries his stones around in his backpack and periodically takes them out to enjoy. Was it you, @musicloveranthony? :)

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on finding the perfect star sapphire for you. It does sound amazing and looking forward to your pics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results