shape
carat
color
clarity

New dilemma(s)

ctvr6

Rough_Rock
Ok, long time since I've posted so hello everyone! From my last .91 ering, I upgraded to a bigger size: 1.72 K non certified diamond. I was in love with the stone at first because it's big and sparkly..and who doesn't like that! :)

However..when I look at it in different angles..I see blocks of light (aka no sparkly)..Is that light leakage? can you all see it or is it just me?

Anyways, the heaviness of the platinum ering is also driving me nuts and I am loving the http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/basket-set-Engagement-Ring.html

Both diamonds were from a local reputable shop who have a trade-in policy and my husband and I like doing business with them as much as I read great things about JA, GOG, etc. Plus, I don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of trying to sell my current e-ring privately so it's just easier to continue working with our jewelers.

So...I am thinking about changing both the diamond and the ering setting. The jewelry store has the JA setting that I love which is not an issue, but I have a certain budget and know that I can't afford to get a 1.72 ring with a great cut. I am debating if I should just go down in size to a 1.25-1.5, same K color, better cut? It was nice having a big diamond but I think I'd be ok with a smaller diamond.

What do you all think? Should I change both? Or just change the setting or just the diamond? Or just do nothing? LOL.

2010-12-01_15-47-47_40.jpg

2010-12-01_15-39-53_543.jpg

2010-12-02_12-28-54_806.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on how much the lack of sparkle bothers you.... Me personally, I would drop down to a 1.3-1.5 K SI1 clarity and bump up in cut. The better cut will have better sparkle AND the color will be hidden better.

Truly it depends on your priorities.

ctvr6

Rough_Rock
Thanks amysbling! That is kind of what Im thinking. The jeweled seems to think that I will be happier with a better cut AND color but I am perfectly content with my K!

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
I am loving how everyone is posting about the exact dilemmas I am going through now LOL! It's nice I don't have to post a million topics for answers ;-) & I don't feel so alone HEHE

I am beginning to agree more and more that dropping down in size with an amazing cut will make me happier then a larger stone with less flash. I figure, I can save on the stone & splurge on a setting :naughty: If I go up in size & want the same out of the stone then I have to hold off and save up more money or not get it...

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

XOXO

ctvr6

Rough_Rock
Lol...yes people I tell will say "GO DOWN IN SIZE?????" And look at me like Im crazy. But I think I will be happier with a better cut stone..

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
ctvr6|1292416659|2797465 said:
Lol...yes people I tell will say "GO DOWN IN SIZE?????" And look at me like Im crazy. But I think I will be happier with a better cut stone..

There is a case to be made for both sides: Size or performance.

I can completely understand your wishes for better performance. Having my fiance smile while adoring her ring truly warms my heart.
Get something you love!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah just make sure you love the new diamond before you trade in! in some of the pics of your current one it looks like there may be the "ring of death" but it is hard to tell. does your jeweler have a good trade in policy?

ctvr6

Rough_Rock
Lol...ring of death? What is that and you are probably right! Yes I can trade my diamond up...not sure about the setting though...now looking back I should have kept the .91. I found the gia cert# yesterday and plugged it into the HCA and results showed it was indeed a great stone..

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what are the numbers for this stone? "ring of death" is a term to describe leakage under the table, I am not an expert so your diamond may or may not exhibit this

ctvr6

Rough_Rock
This current stone is non certified...all I know is that its 1.72 k, I1 (crystal blocked by the prong) .

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh right, you said that earlier :)

ctvr6

Rough_Rock
Heehee..its ok

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results