shape
carat
color
clarity

New Diamond - Colour vs Clarity, which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am searching for a replacement diamond (original is chipped!!). I am looking at the 1.5 to 2 carat range in a round brillant.

The question I have for the experts here on PS, is do I scarifice clarity for a better colour?

For example, am I better having a E or F, SI stone or a G or H, VS1 stone?

I know it does come down to viewing a stone and making sure a s1 is eyeclean, but I also wanted you FANTASTIC PS experts advice before I let a jeweller make the decision for me!

Any advice much appreciated, Thankyou!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 4:05:06 PM
Author:bugaboo
Hi,

I am searching for a replacement diamond (original is chipped!!). I am looking at the 1.5 to 2 carat range in a round brillant.

The question I have for the experts here on PS, is do I scarifice clarity for a better colour?

For example, am I better having a E or F, SI stone or a G or H, VS1 stone?

I know it does come down to viewing a stone and making sure a s1 is eyeclean, but I also wanted you FANTASTIC PS experts advice before I let a jeweller make the decision for me!

Any advice much appreciated, Thankyou!
1.gif
It would come down to cut for me in any case, so I would check out each diamond very carefully for the proportions etc before making my choice and I would INSIST on a well cut replacement. As to colour and clarity if an SI grade was eyeclean to my satisfaction then I would probably choose G or H SI to be awkward
9.gif
, but really if the cut is great and the diamond eyeclean you can''t go wrong, it is down to personal preference.

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Hi again Lorelei!

Thankyou again for answering one of my posts!

Can I ask why would you chose a G or H SI over a E or F SI? Is it because there is very little difference between the colours in these stones?

Thankyou again!
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 4:13:28 PM
Author: bugaboo
Hi again Lorelei!

Can I ask why would you chose a G or H SI over a E or F SI? Is it because there is very little difference between the colours in these stones?

Thankyou again!
2.gif
Most welcome bugs!

I would choose the above because a reliably graded G or H colour is plenty white enough for me, so that leaves more in the budget for size! I also can't see much if any difference between these colour grades when viewing diamonds. Thats just me but I would not go out of my way to buy a colourless diamond as it isn't a priority for me but if it is for you then go with what makes you happiest!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again Lorelei!

Thankyou again!
2.gif
only you can decide on the color . i''ll take a G SI1

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 4:15:31 PM
Author: Lorelei

Hi again Lorelei!

Thankyou again!
2.gif
Most welcome bugs!

I would choose the above because a reliably graded G or H colour is plenty white enough for me, so that leaves more in the budget for size! I also can''t see much if any difference between these colour grades when viewing diamonds. Thats just me but I would not go out of my way to buy a colourless diamond as it isn''t a priority for me but if it is for you then go with what makes you happiest!
I agree with Lorelei :) As long as it has a good cut I would go G or H and down to SI1 so that I could increase size and still have great color/clarity.

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much everyone for the sound advice!!!

I am now going to search for a G/H S1 to increase the size, taking in mind a great cut stone.

thankyou for helping me make a decision!
18.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
You asked, "am I better having a E or F, SI stone or a G or H, VS1 stone?"

What is better, vanilla, chocolate or strawberry ice cream?
There is no universal answer because it is personal preference.

Go see some diamonds in person in these color and clarity ranges and find YOUR comfort zone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results