shape
carat
color
clarity

New Diamond Buyer - opinions, everyone has a different story

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondheathen

Rough_Rock
Hi all, this is my first time posting to the forum. Great stuff here, but I would love some feedback on a few things.

Specifically, I have been looking for a diamond (and settings) for the past 2 months.

I originally (almost) made the mistake of getting the first ring we liked, with the one of the first few diamonds we saw. I was dazzled by the flash of Robbins Brothers in California. I have since seen the light.

I have spent a lot of time trying to get an idea of what kind of diamond would work for us, and what would be the best way to obtain it. I am still working on this but I have read lots of feedback and am still a bit confused.

What I am looking for is to spend about 7.5K on a engagement ring. What we liked were the following: ( I would appreciate your opinions/suggestions)

Floating or tension setting customized to match wedding band (see below)

The following are the stats on the diamond that we 'were' going to get from Robbins Brothers:

Diamond: (GIA)
Shape and Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.07 - 6.15 X 4.18 mm
Weight: 1.00
Depth: 68.4
Table: 54
Girdle: medium to very thick, faceted
Polish/Symmetry: Exc/good
Clarity: VS2
Color Grade: E
Culet: none

Pictured: 9 tiny crystal pinpoint type inclusions

They had this marked as a 'special buy' at $6400 + tax - we thought this was a good deal. The diamond looked good to us. But ppl are saying that the diamond is too deep.

The thing I really thought was a rip off was the setting and wedding bands:

http://www.robbinsbros.com/productSearch/productDetail.asp?prod_id=21464&pType=ring&intIsJewelry=0&set_shape=1012

or

http://www.robbinsbros.com/productSearch/productDetail.asp?prod_id=21479&pType=ring&intIsJewelry=0&set_shape=1012

* we were considering the tension because they supposedly warranty it.
I.E. It breaks or falls out they replace it.
But I am a bit weary of it because they can't be resized easily.

* we were planning on getting the setting customized to match the Jeff Cooper bands we liked.
i.e. set with 4 diamonds (2 on each side of the center) and sandblasted / beveled

The Jeff cooper bands are style #2949d Sizes (Women 4.5, Men 7.5) - http://jcplatinum.com

The platinum float setting (url above) from them was priced at: $1295 plus customization costs
The bands were: $1495 and $2495 respectively! 8 stones each (1pts)

Also:

From another diamond store we found these 2 GIA stones we liked:

Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurement: 6.54 - 6.63 x 3.94 mm
Weight: 1.02

Depth: 59.8
Table: 59
Girdle: very thin to medium, faceted
Polish/Sym: vg/g
Clarity: SI1
Color: E
Flor: none
Comments: none
Price: $6243 + tax

AND

Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurement: 6.45 - 6.63 x 3.96 mm
Weight: 1.01

Depth: 60.6
Table: 57
Girdle: thin to slightly thick, faceted
Polish/Sym: g/g
Clarity: SI1
Color: F
Flor: none
Comments: none
Price: 6783 +tax

I am also planning on checking out http://www.icestore.com since it is local.

I know this is a lot to digest but I just want to get a feeling for where we are now. And some suggestions on what to do next.
I am running out of time to settle on something and I would like to if possible do all my business in one place.

Thanks

Troy

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Troy, 68.4% total depth is very deep indeed. Look at the measurements of this stone - it has much smaller diameter. 0.82 carat well cut stone will look much better and just as big.

Two last stones sound much better. And of course check out Ariel from Icestore.

diamondheathen

Rough_Rock
Leonid,

I appreciate you confirming my suspicion.

I am visiting Ariel this Saturday.

Thanks,

Troy

:appl:

scaasi

Rough_Rock
Troy,

Not only is this diamond too deep, it is also over priced!
Absolutely no reason why you cannot find same diamonds with Ideal-cut proportions for less.

Need some more help?
Let me know.

Isaac
www.dSCAASI.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results