shape
carat
color
clarity

New, Confused, Lost -- Please HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vivosogno

Rough_Rock
I need some major help. My boyfriend and I would like to design our engagement ring. I am so confused. Please excuse my ignorance about diamonds but I don''t really know that much so I need help on how to choose a diamond and still get a great price. I know EXACTLY what I want my ring to look like. I have to say that I am EXTREMELY picky and I can''t seem to find anything on the net that I like. What I want:

White gold or platinum
2mm micro pave eternity band with a solitaire square cut radiant (with cut corners). I would also like the prongs to be covered in micro pave diamonds.

My problem is: I don''t know what anything means when looking at a diamond. I dont know what depth, table, etc. is. And I fear that my ignorance is going to be a problem and we will get a horrible diamond and deal.

I also dont know if I should/can buy a diamond on line and then take it to a jeweler to have a piece designed around that. Or do I buy the diamond with the jeweler? I''m just clueless and really would love all the advice I could get on buying diamonds (radiant cut stones) and where I could design a ring in the DC area with experienced people and still get a great deal.

If anyone has any pictures that sound similar to what I want please post!

Please help!!!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The first thing to do is read the tutorials under the "Knowledge" drop down menu at the top of the page. That will give you the basics to get you grounded.

In addition, www.gemappraisers.com has parameters for radiant stones that will help you weed out the ugly ones. Also, you should go around to jewelers armed with the Gemappraiser parameters and see with your own eyes what stats are important to you.

If you''re in DC, many on this forum have been happy with the custom work down at Quest Jewelers. Do a search for Quest on these boards and you should pull up the threads.

Good luck!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
What you like sounds similar to the Vera Wang setting. Have you seen it before?

vwang.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I purchased my diamond online from USA Certed (who I would definitely recommend) and then completely designed my ring with Whiteflash. Good Old Gold is also extremely popular around here for both settings and diamonds. I drew pictures and faxed/scanned them over along with pics of rings I had found online that had aspects that I liked. My ring turned out phenomonally and WF was a dream to work with. Many others here also have custom rings by WF and are very, very happy. It is often easier to buy both diamond and setting from the same company but not necessary. Just ensure that if you buy the diamond from a different jeweler than the one who will set it, that the setter will take full responsibility for your diamond while he/she is in possession of it. Get it in writing. Many jewelers will not do this so make sure you know for sure. If the jeweler were to chip your diamond while setting it, you would be out of a diamond if he doesn't have the insurance to cover it. WF and other vendors here will set other's diamonds but will charge a small ($50-$100) setting fee.

I don't know a heck of a lot about radiants but I can say that you should definately try to see the diamond prior to purchase b/c radiants cannot be judged by numbers alone. My diamond is a fancy cut as well and so I know that sometimes a diamond with so-so numbers can turn out to be beautiful. If you go with an online vendor, choose one who will let you see the diamond before you purchase it if at all possible. They will send the diamond you are interested in to an independent apprasier in your area so you can see it in person. You are not obligated to buy, but you may have to pay shipping costs if you decide not to buy it.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hello, and welcome!!

Your post and description of your "future e-ring" remind me of an old post...I think it is exactly what you are looking for....everyone''s suggestions are good, get as much knowledge as you can, and then give one of the recommended vendors a call. By buying online you will save some serious $$$. Then, post on here to get the experts opinions before you decide for good on one stone...they will walk you through this whole overwhelming process.

But, seriously, check out this post....her ring is gorgeous!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-love-my-new-radiant-engagement-ring.29538/=

dani13

Ideal_Rock
From what I hear, Dirt Cheap Diamonds (aka James Allen-same company, just changed their name)- are great to work with.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hi vivosogno!

I would recommend Quest in Dunn Loring, VA if you want something done custom at a very reasonable price. I''m currently using them to reset my e-ring. Here is my thread Jubilee Halo Design also there is a whole thread dedicated to their work here called Show me your Quest Jewelers Masterpieces or something like that.

I primarily chose Quest because of the proximity and great policies. You could get Quest to get some radiants in to your liking if you want to view some before deciding. (I got to view a Royal Asscher this weekend as they had ordered one in for one of their customers and it was beautiful!) Quest doesn''t charge an extra setting fee the quote that they give you for custom work is all inclusive. Also, they will insure your stone during the setting process if you decide to use them for the setting but buy the diamond from someone else. I believe even in Kaleigh''s case (another PSer that used Quest to set her stone) they covered her shipping costs and insured the stone during shipping.

Another policy I really like is that Quest has a lifetime guarantee with their work especially with the micropave. If any of the little diamonds were to fall out they replace it for free no matter what.

Anyway I think the biggest advantage to going through Quest is that they will be able to order in some radiants for you to see in person and if you decide you don''t like any of them you don''t have to worry about shipping the stones back long distance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results