shape
carat
color
clarity

New buyer and first purchase

ahmedwk

Rough_Rock
I spent yesterday learning about diamonds and went yesterday evening to diamond shops to check some diamonds. I am looking for the biggest, more spread diamond I can get for 4k USD and it should be eye clean. I am willing to compromise on other parameters.
So what do you think of the following:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=6137549707&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547
The diamond above has flaws (of course), but are they visible for the non-experienced seer? The diamond will mostly set in a Prong setting (not sure yet)! and will be worn indoors only.

Here are my parameters that I used to search pricescope.com with:
Color: J at least (or should I go for I?)
Clarity: SI2 at least
Cut and HCA Cut: Very Good at least
Symmetry and Polish: Fair-to-good at least.
More spread: preferably following the 60/60 rule
Fluorescence: None
Carat: the biggest I can get
Price < 4000$ (but I am willing to push it to 5000$ if I found a good deal).

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the text wall. But this is my first time and I don't want to commit newbies mistakes. :)

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi - i'm in the trade so i can't comment on your choice. But I will say that if size is your number one priority, you might want to reconsider fluorescence - - you can usually get a fairly good discount on a stone with strong/very strong fluorescence - and if you confirm with the vendor that there isn't any visible affect on the diamond outside of direct UV light, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference. This will allow you to get a bigger diamond.
Hope this helps

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking for a well cut gia ex diamond,$5000 should get you a 1carat I VS2/SI1. You can downgrade color and clarity to get higher carat weight.
What is the absolute minimum carat weight you are considering?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I am going to suggest some other parameters for you!

Stick with GIA Excellent cut only. That is a very broad range and we don't even recommend all of those. Polish and symmetry excellent or very good only. You want the HCA score to be 2.0 or lower with Excellent for light return, fire, and scintillation, and very good or excellent for spread.

table for spreadier diamonds: 57-59 (maybe 60)

depth: 60.0-62.0

crown angle: usually 34-35 (but many 60 table stones seem to have lower crown angles, so maybe down to 33)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

You will get more for your money buying online in most cases. Would you like us to post some stones for you?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding the stone you posted above:

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=6137549707&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

Did you see the stone? I think one thing that kicks it out of Ex cut is the thick girdle. A thick girdle can make a stone have a smaller diameter for the weight as compared to one with a thin to medium girdle. You cannot choose an SI diamond without seeing it in person and looking at it carefully, examine the inclusions with a loupe so you know what you are looking for, and then seeing if it is eyeclean from all directions. When buying online, it is very helpful to either have video or magnified images of the stone. I set clarity to SI1 when I was searching for you, and I had to eliminate a lot of stones because of inclusions right under the table.

If that stone is very eyeclean, it might be a decent stone if the price was close to $4k. It's hard for us to say without seeing pictures. If you can't get magnified images or see it yourself, I'd eliminate it.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ADN|1453601577|3980532 said:
Hi - i'm in the trade so i can't comment on your choice. But I will say that if size is your number one priority, you might want to reconsider fluorescence - - you can usually get a fairly good discount on a stone with strong/very strong fluorescence - and if you confirm with the vendor that there isn't any visible affect on the diamond outside of direct UV light, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference. This will allow you to get a bigger diamond.
Hope this helps

Great point here from ADN, reference this page for more information:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results