shape
carat
color
clarity

New Blue Nile 5 stone - love it but OVER-bling??

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Fellow Bling-Lovers,

I really value your opinions and need your help now. I just received my 5 stone from BlueNile and I'm not sure if I should keep it. It's really beautiful, super sparkly. I have always wanted one to wear with my band if I am not wearing my solitaire or to wear on my right hand. I am also at the same time trying to figure out what I want to wear with my plain band and solitaire because I think I want to go with a stacked look for a while before I consider a reset.

I wanted to know if you all think I can get away with wearing it on my left hand with my solitaire and e-ring, cause that is really what I want to do. But if you all think it's too much, please just tell me.

Admittedly, my need for bling has been a bit extreme these days, so please forgive me if some of the pictures below are a bit OTT. I thought I might be able to get away with wearing them together. When I look at them, it's clear that the look is not that of a matching set, but I honestly think I prefer the blinginess over the matchy-matchy look. I tried on a diamond and sapphire legacy eternity band at Tiffany to wear in between. I originally wanted this look, something small and sparkly between the platinum bands. But now that I have the 5 stone, I think I really want to go with the bigger bling.

Some specs:
Solitaire, F, VS1, 2.59, excellent cut

5 stone - all F, VS2, .30, excellent cut

I am posting all the various permutations. I unfortunately cannot just wear the 5 stone with the solitaire since the girdle of one of the 5 stones runs right into the solitaire prong. My wedding band acts as a spacer. I think it works if I wear the 5 stone first and the solitaire on top.

solitaire_on_top.jpg

solitaire_and_band.jpg

5_stone_and_band.jpg

5_stone_only.jpg

all_3_side_view.jpg

tiffany_legacy_sapphire.jpg

The other option is to go with a small stacking band like the Tiffany jazz or some baguette or asscher cuts in a channel set eternity band, and to wear it between the platinum bands.

Honestly I love the blinginess so much I can't see straight and just want as much bling as possible. :love: I cannot be trusted to adhere to tastefulness or discretion. :lol:

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I love the first photo. Solitaire, band and 5-stone. :love: :love: :love: Gorgeous!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
When I read your description I was prepared to think it was too much but I actually love the look! Your wide wedding band gives each piece the room it needs to breathe so to speak. Beautiful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, you have a killer engagement ring!!! :love: :love: :love: I love it with your wide platinum band! I also love the 5 stone ring with the wedding band. But I am going to say that I think the 5 stone band is too much to wear with your engagement ring. Yes, it is a lot of bling, but I think maybe it doesn't let your engagement ring be the star. We've been through this scenario with other people, and I just think smaller diamonds are going to be more complimentary to your diamond..such as 10-15 pointers max. I think the band with the diamonds and sapphires is too small to wear with your rings because it is dwarfed by the wide platinum band. I feel like you need something in between these two sizes!

(Looking again, I do like the Tiffany band, but I think you'd have more bling from a smaller band if it was all diamonds!)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
+1 for the blingy 5 stone/WB as spacer/ROCKIN' engagement ring! I love the over blinged look you have going there or even the single bling of the 5 stone alone.

Would you ever consider not wearing your WB (HORROR! :-o ) But getting a thinner spacer instead? Just a thought - I have been wearing my set that way (not using my original WB) and quite like it, but my stones are no where near the size of yours! Yours is a killer set! :love:

stci

Ideal_Rock
Your 5 stones is absolutely gorgeous but I prefer your ering with plain band. Just a matter of taste and just my 2 cents.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *do* love all three together as you have them in your 1st pic - it is super-Bling but somehow it works to my eyes - I think your fingers are long enough to accommodate all 3 rings together. I actually prefer these 3 rings together over just your ER+WB. And I'm not keen on the 5-stone + WB, or the Tiffany with your ER+WB.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I love the first picture with the e-ring, w-ring, and five stone. No problems there for me, but I like übersparkle.
Can we have a picture with the Tiffany ring as the spacer between e-ring and five stone please?

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
all beautiful rings. If it were me though (and I'm admittedly not the most blingy person in the world, so take this for what it's worth), I would wear the 5 stone as a RHR, and leave the ER with the plain WB. I think your Ering is classic and beautiful and it looks very classy (and still blingtastic - let's be honest, that's an impressive stone!) with just the platinum WR. I think the 5 stone + WB + Ering detracts a bit from the beauty of your Ering. I'd love a 5 stone like that as a RHR though!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stones are a tad too big. Maybe 15 pointers would be better?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
All of your goodies are gorgeous! I think you can do that look for super blingy days but do second Enerchi's suggestion to get a smaller spacer for in between. I also love the band as a RHR so my vote is Keep It!

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
I love the look of the 5 stone all by itself. I also love the look of your e-ring with the plain band. I feel each piece really gets to shine when separate but that's just my opinion. You have some beautiful pieces :love: :love: :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what...you love the blinginess, so I say wear your rings in whatever way pleases you! It's a very pretty look on you - it would probably be a bit too much for me, but you're not me so I think you should wear your rings however you like.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally love the blingness, you can totally carry it off!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PS'ers,

Thank you so much for sharing your many and varied thoughts. I really, really appreciate them. What I can tell that in this case, it is truly a matter of opinion. On the bling scale, some are at a higher number, and some less. However, I think I am safe in that it doesn't look ridiculous to wear them all. And I will give it some more days and see how quickly my eyes get used to it, or not... I'm lucky that BlueNile has a very reasonable return policy.

In the meantime, I am on the hunt for other options. I will try to post other options if I come across them. And thank you so much for those who liked the thick band and the solitaire. I was thinking it was really boring (especially with the wedding band being so thick) when I saw all the super blingy bands on PS.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1353554561|3312660 said:
Hi PS'ers,

Thank you so much for sharing your many and varied thoughts. I really, really appreciate them. What I can tell that in this case, it is truly a matter of opinion. On the bling scale, some are at a higher number, and some less. However, I think I am safe in that it doesn't look ridiculous to wear them all. And I will give it some more days and see how quickly my eyes get used to it, or not... I'm lucky that BlueNile has a very reasonable return policy.

In the meantime, I am on the hunt for other options. I will try to post other options if I come across them. And thank you so much for those who liked the thick band and the solitaire. I was thinking it was really boring (especially with the wedding band being so thick) when I saw all the super blingy bands on PS.

I think they all look great! The blingy band is just big enough to compliment your gorgeous solitaire so I don't think there are any problems there, however, your solitaire will look amazing with whatever you put next to it, or on it's own. I'd keep the blingy band if possible and maybe wear it on the right hand? Whatever you decide, I think it looks great with all the options!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1353540398|3312467 said:
First of all, you have a killer engagement ring!!! :love: :love: :love: I love it with your wide platinum band! I also love the 5 stone ring with the wedding band. But I am going to say that I think the 5 stone band is too much to wear with your engagement ring. Yes, it is a lot of bling, but I think maybe it doesn't let your engagement ring be the star. We've been through this scenario with other people, and I just think smaller diamonds are going to be more complimentary to your diamond..such as 10-15 pointers max. I think the band with the diamonds and sapphires is too small to wear with your rings because it is dwarfed by the wide platinum band. I feel like you need something in between these two sizes!

(Looking again, I do like the Tiffany band, but I think you'd have more bling from a smaller band if it was all diamonds!)

Hi DS2006, Thanks for the sweet comments about my set, especially that old-school, wide wedding band. The rock is actually a 15 year (I survived this long) anniversary gift. I have always loved my wide band, but have just been unsure about how it looks with the skinny platinum band on the e-ring. I have seen everyone's skinny pave bands and love the delicate look of them.

I was on quite the same wavelength as you too. I had already tried on a seven stone at Tiffany, which I quite liked b/c it fit better between the two platinum bands. However, the girdles of the stones touched the prong of the solitaire. Bummer. If I had to find one that didn't, the stones would be smaller than I would like, thus less bling effect. Or, I could go the route of channel or bezel set band/eternity ring, so I don't have to worry about rubbing. And I have been looking up a ton. Single Stone bezel set emerald cuts, Tiffany jazz band, etc. Hard to find the right size, low enough not to hit the prongs, big enough bling, etc.

tiffany_seven_stone.jpg

I saw a seven stone asscher on Blue Nile that I thought would make a great contrast to the roundness of the solitaire, but again I am uncertain if the stone would rub against the prong. And it's a one carat total weight, and this 5 stone is 1.5. Unfortunately, I am addicted to the bling. :roll: I would really like something that can quench this thirst for bling, at least for the next couple of years. ;-)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1353540478|3312468 said:
+1 for the blingy 5 stone/WB as spacer/ROCKIN' engagement ring! I love the over blinged look you have going there or even the single bling of the 5 stone alone.

Would you ever consider not wearing your WB (HORROR! :-o ) But getting a thinner spacer instead? Just a thought - I have been wearing my set that way (not using my original WB) and quite like it, but my stones are no where near the size of yours! Yours is a killer set! :love:

Hi Enerchi, thanks for the compliments! I also just considered that today. I actually have been thinking about wearing my w-band on my right hand b/c it's super tight on my left, which has a bigger knuckle. Which means I need yet ANOTHER thinner ring as a spacer between the 5 stone and the solitaire. My husband told me to put this face :angryfire: as I respond to my fellow PS'ers. Of course he's joking (a little) since he is now well versed on the language of diamonds, but it never hurts to have a goal! ;-) (Oh no!! You've got me planning for the Tiffany jazz ring.) Enerchi, I think you've just set me on a course for the next ring. :lol:

What do you think of this one?
http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=9&pID=125&startRow=1

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lorrissey|1353539398|3312448 said:
I love the first photo. Solitaire, band and 5-stone. :love: :love: :love: Gorgeous!

Thanks Lorrissey. I'm learning to love the look very quickly myself. :D

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all three together, with your WB acting as a 'spacer'. I'm actually curious if you can try on a thinner band/spacer with the e-ring and 5stone.. so that it doesn't reach as "high" on your knuckle. Does that bother you? It looks BEAUTIFUL, and I think you should wear the whole set with pride. It's def not over the top ;))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1353539811|3312457 said:
When I read your description I was prepared to think it was too much but I actually love the look! Your wide wedding band gives each piece the room it needs to breathe so to speak. Beautiful!

Thank you Rosebloom! I do agree. I realized that I don't need a spacer with that fat old-school band. :razz: I'm not used to wearing bling so this still a lot to me. But PS is curing me of that in short order.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stci|1353541678|3312497 said:
Your 5 stones is absolutely gorgeous but I prefer your ering with plain band. Just a matter of taste and just my 2 cents.

Thanks stci!! Thanks for liking my fat old school band. I feel much better about it now. Silly huh? But I see the skinny paves and feel so out dated! :geek: I will wear the two boring old bands with pride. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1353542941|3312509 said:
I *do* love all three together as you have them in your 1st pic - it is super-Bling but somehow it works to my eyes - I think your fingers are long enough to accommodate all 3 rings together. I actually prefer these 3 rings together over just your ER+WB. And I'm not keen on the 5-stone + WB, or the Tiffany with your ER+WB.

Hi marymm, I like your eyes. ;-) It is so interesting to see what other people prefer. I thought everyone would prefer the band and 5 stone, but surprise surprise. Thank you... :)

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
I am a firm believer that bling is in the eye of the beholder!! If you love it (and clearly you do!) then GO FOR IT!!
Yes, it is true, that the 5-stone may not let your e-ring be the "star", but it makes one magnificent, eye-popping, show-stopping SET!!

I am in the same boat... I have a 6-stone band that I am wearing with a cushion halo e-ring. I do believe that my beautiful AVR halo would show off more if it were with a plain band... but I also LOVE my wedding band and I really enjoy the super blingy look of them together. I am also currently having a yellow gold spacer ring made (from melting down my original wedding ring) and I can't wait to have a 3-ring set!!

It is not everyone's taste. But that is OK!! If it makes your heart sing when you look at it... then wear it with pure JOY!!
I think your set with your wedding band as the spacer is AMAZING!! :love: :love:
And you can always switch it up later on.

Here are a couple pictures of mine so you can see that you're not alone in the BlingFest!! :naughty:

I think you have a beautiful set... but you need to LOVE whatever you choose. Good luck, thank you for sharing, and keep us posted on what you decide!!

img_314.jpg

img_315.jpg

img_316.jpg

img_1143.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1353543293|3312517 said:
I love the first picture with the e-ring, w-ring, and five stone. No problems there for me, but I like übersparkle.
Can we have a picture with the Tiffany ring as the spacer between e-ring and five stone please?

Hi JaneSmith, ubersparkle girl, thanks for loving the blinged out look. :razz: I would love to take a pic of the e-ring with the five stone and the Tiffany, but I couldn't bring Tiffany home without paying for it first! ;-) Next time I'm in the store I will take a pic. You weren't kidding when you said you loved the sparkle! :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mjertl|1353543622|3312522 said:
all beautiful rings. If it were me though (and I'm admittedly not the most blingy person in the world, so take this for what it's worth), I would wear the 5 stone as a RHR, and leave the ER with the plain WB. I think your Ering is classic and beautiful and it looks very classy (and still blingtastic - let's be honest, that's an impressive stone!) with just the platinum WR. I think the 5 stone + WB + Ering detracts a bit from the beauty of your Ering. I'd love a 5 stone like that as a RHR though!

Hi mjertl, thanks, i totally agree with you about the 5 stone being a great RHR. That is one of the reasons I really want to keep it. Like I was telling others, I thought the WB was looking so Blah with the ER band. Band on band. You never see that anymore. It's all pave these days. I was feeling very dated... :wink2: Thanks for liking them together. I will wear my two old school bands together with pride.

And, I was worried that it does detract from my ER, but that will probably be something I have to accept when I wear it that way. It does, yet it's a different look altogether. I think you confirmed that the 5 stone gives me more options.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1353544995|3312544 said:
I think the stones are a tad too big. Maybe 15 pointers would be better?

Hi Laila,

Too big right?? :) Aesthetically, I think the seven stone from Tiffany (which is much closer to 15 pointers) makes all three rings look like a more cohesive set. That is the word I was looking for. Yeah. Less an of assault on the senses. But I can't help but just love plain old bling more. I think I would sacrifice visual cohesiveness for BLING!! :love: :love: :love:

Well, I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if DSS or the opposite sets in. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1353547089|3312580 said:
All of your goodies are gorgeous! I think you can do that look for super blingy days but do second Enerchi's suggestion to get a smaller spacer for in between. I also love the band as a RHR so my vote is Keep It!

Thanks woofmama! YOu and Enerchi have me on a path to a single stone or Tiffany bezel set as a "spacer". My husband is going to KILL me if I bring home more bling in the next 12 months. :angryfire: OMG. Major addiction issues!! :D

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemmy123|1353551321|3312626 said:
I love the look of the 5 stone all by itself. I also love the look of your e-ring with the plain band. I feel each piece really gets to shine when separate but that's just my opinion. You have some beautiful pieces :love: :love: :love:

Hi Gemmy, thank you very much. At this point, I am loving my plain bands together too. :) People have been so nice about it. I will wear them together and not feel as inadequate...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1353552153|3312635 said:
You know what...you love the blinginess, so I say wear your rings in whatever way pleases you! It's a very pretty look on you - it would probably be a bit too much for me, but you're not me so I think you should wear your rings however you like.

Thanks Junebug, I'm feel pretty empowered right now. ;-) You all are so awesome!! I guess here, BLING is OK. None of my friends understand. They all want me to get some professional help. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results