shape
carat
color
clarity

New Blue Moonstone Earrings

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Today I picked up a pair of custom earrings I had made using oval blue moonstone cabochons I purchased recently from Barry Bridgestock at ACStones. The earrings were designed and made by Stephen Vincent Design in Minneapolis. The moonstones are bezel set in 18k red gold and hung from 18k red gold hoops. The posts and backs are palladium. The moonstones are 9x7 mm and the 3/4 oval hoops are 12mm x 18mm x 2mm.

I love these. The blue sheen is gorgeous and the movement is great. I love how you can see the moonstones peaking out of my hair. These earrings have a matching pearl pendent coming along soon. I expect the pendant will be ready in a couple of weeks.

Some pictures. First the vendor photo.

Acstones-Blue Moonstone Pair 02012012a.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
In the box.

Ear_2489.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I love them! Such a gorgeous blue and I also love the red gold!! Awesome earrings! Sorry if I am posting in the middle of your posting pics but I couldn't wait- beautiful earrings! Wear in health and happiness!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A few ear shots. I was worried that you would never see the blue sheen when the earrings were being worn. Silly me. ;))

Ear_2446.jpg

Ear_2461.jpg

Ear_2470.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Peaking through the hair. I love how the stones pop. They move, too, thanks to the design.

Ear_2469.jpg

Ear_2466.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
missy|1334878159|3175603 said:
Ooh, I love them! Such a gorgeous blue and I also love the red gold!! Awesome earrings! Sorry if I am posting in the middle of your posting pics but I couldn't wait- beautiful earrings! Wear in health and happiness!
Thank you so much, missy. Glad you like them, and thank you for the good wishes. :wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Really lovely! I am a big moonstone fan. The red gold & blue stones are a great combination!

--- Laurie

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yummy!!!! :love: Nice new moonstone's flygirl!!! I love the RG and blue combination - and that shimmer is gorgeous - "the traveller's stone" - how perfect for "flygirl"!

Great choice!!! :appl:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh WOW. Those are right up my alley! Do you happen to be a fickle pickle ... because If you ever wanna sellllllllll :naughty:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are fantastic!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh pretty!I love that blue color. Do the moonstones come off of the hoops?

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
they're enchanting - like something from another galaxy. Gorgeous earrings. You just have to love moonstone, it's so lovely!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you JewelFreak, Enerchi, decodelighted, MTG, innerkitten, and Tanzigrrl.

Yes, the red gold and blue moonstone is a lovely combination. deco, I'm not planning to sell these quite yet! :lol:

Innerkitten - another photo for you. I didn't pick it initially because the moonstones are moving and out of focus (a good thing, I guess), but you can see that the moonstones will come off. Yes, I'm already plotting to use these hoops for other dangles. Suggestions for drops are always welcome! :bigsmile:

Ear_2481.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful! I love the simplicity of the design, and the fact that the stone moves.

May I ask, how different is red gold from rose gold? I'm not familiar with red gold at all... I guess it's pretty specialized?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
first, know that i mean the following as the ultimate compliment: i love them! my fav thing is something that is "of this world' yet could have been dug up at an ancient site by an archeologist. seriously! elegant and timeless. well done! :appl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1334885599|3175759 said:
Beautiful! I love the simplicity of the design, and the fact that the stone moves.

May I ask, how different is red gold from rose gold? I'm not familiar with red gold at all... I guess it's pretty specialized?
The designer calls this alloy "red gold". Here is a picture of a red gold ring from his web site. http://www.svstudio.com/

To my eye his alloy looks to be a deeper red than other rose gold or pink gold alloys.

svd-3.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1334886626|3175777 said:
first, know that i mean the following as the ultimate compliment: i love them! my fav thing is something that is "of this world' yet could have been dug up at an ancient site by an archeologist. seriously! elegant and timeless. well done! :appl:
I love that way to looking at it, MZ. A classic. I have been a fan of this local designer for nearly 30 years and I love everything he makes, but I always thought of them as modern pieces. We nearly lost him to cancer a couple of years ago, so I am delighted he is now well and busy designing beautiful jewelry again. :))

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The red gold was a great choice! Thanks for the link.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything about it is just perfect. The moonstones are the perfect size to be worn alone at the ear and the colouring is good and they are very clean. Not only that, the bezel setting is well made and so classic. The design also allows movement and can be worn with either something dressy or simple. As you know, I am incredibly fond of moonstones so perhaps I am just a tad bit biased. :bigsmile:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your lovely comments, Chrono. I'm a huge moonstone fan as well, so I jumped when I saw this pair on Barry's website. They didn't sit around at all before being taken in to be made into earrings.

You are welcome, GemFever.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, dressy and yet casual!
the use of red gold was brilliant!
they look fab on you!

downstairs in the legion of honor museum in san francisco there is a glassed exhibit near the cafeteria entrance. i always linger there admiring the very high carat gold from roman digs......and there is a pair of earrings very similar to yours in that case. again, timeless.

your earrings are one of my fav pieces.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Wow, flygirl, I definitely noticed that pair of moonstones when Barry dropped them. They were gone quick, congratulations! They look amazing on you. I hope you showed him the finished product?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I love moonstones.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
very pretty earrings, the red gold is interesting? any idea what mix he uses for that?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! They are stunning. They are elegant. They are timeless. They should be mine. 8)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! I love the design on those.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Beuatiful! I have been eyeing Stephan Vincent Studio for their modern settings. Did you work with them long distance? Did you find them reasonably priced? Would you work with them again?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you again MZ, and thank you to bluebirrd, chel180, minousbijoux, and Kismet.

Bluebirrd, I will be sure to send Barry thanks and photos. Barry had a single moonstone in his last drop and my finger was twitching to pick it up, but I let it go. I hope it shows up on PS in a beautiful setting.

Chel180, I have no idea about the metal mix. I do recall purchasing a rose gold setting from LOGR and being soooo disappointed that the color wasn't like the red gold color on my SV pieces.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1334932911|3176134 said:
Beuatiful! I have been eyeing Stephan Vincent Studio for their modern settings. Did you work with them long distance? Did you find them reasonably priced? Would you work with them again?

Thank you pregcurious. SV is local to me. For about 25 years he had a store on the Minneapolis skyway system and I would drop in at lunch and eye and try on the goods. My guilty pleasure. All the sales clerks knew my name. My husband and I both wear SV diamond wedding rings that we had him design many years ago. This was pre-PS, and I never heard of anyone getting new wedding rings without getting a new spouse, but we figured why get a new spouse just because we want new rings? For years I kept a list at the store, and DH could just call up and say, it's Fly Girls birthday, what would she like? Right now I have some peridot and tourmaline brios at the shop to be woven into a necklace by Catherine (she does the 522 pieces). So it is safe to say that I would use them again. :bigsmile:

Prices are not cheap, but are reasonable considering what you are getting. Top materials (he has always sourced the most sparkly melee, both white and colored), personally designed by a talented designer and completely handcrafted. If I am just looking for a stock Stuller setting, I go elsewhere. Frankly, they used to send that sort of work out, and I know where it went and just went there to begin with. I think that you could use him long distance. I worked through Michelle for the designs and I give them a lot of freedom in the design process. My input is basically, here are my stones, I'm looking for earrings, I don't like big and heavy, I love red gold, this current design here is appealing, but make me something awesome. I simply know that I love what they do, and I trust their eye. Of course, after all these years, he probably has a good idea of my taste. :wink2:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzigrrl|1334880872|3175688 said:
they're enchanting - like something from another galaxy. Gorgeous earrings. You just have to love moonstone, it's so lovely!

What a fabulous description. I was looking at them and thinking they were ethreal (sp?). You can really see the blue sheen in all the photos. They're gorgeous.

As they come off the hoops, what would they look like with tiny studs above them? Maybe a pearl??????

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results