shape
carat
color
clarity

New BB Malaya

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I fell hard for this pretty Malaya Garnet in Barry Bridgestock's latest drop. It looked like it would be a good match to some of my day lilies. So, when she arrived, I took her for a photo shoot in my garden.

malaya_descbb.jpg

bbmalaya_3227.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
More photos.

bbmalaya_3224.jpg

bbmalaya_3230.jpg

bbmalaya_3225.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Looking at my new Malaya in some different lighting.

bbmalaya_3234.jpg

bbmalaya_3236.jpg

bbmalaya_3238.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Another shot of the new Malaya. Then, I pulled out my 10 mm BB Umbalite to join the fun.

bbmalaya_0.jpg

bbmu_3242.jpg

bbmu_3247.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wait, I have another BB garnet! :naughty: I got out my 5 mm BB Spessartite to join the photo shoot.

bbums_3271.jpg

bbums_3267.jpg

bbums_3266.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for dropping by, and have a great weekend! :wavey:

bbgarnets_3254.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
YUMMY!!!

Lori

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooooh! They look amazing together! I see a detailed pendant in RG by Sally at heart of water.... That would be incredible if all 3 were set in descending size. Yummy!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous garnets Fly Girl!! I love the Umbalite :love: :love: :love:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! I love the malaya in all lights! Great saturation, also the umbalite, mmmmmmmmm!

--- Laurie

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Great score! Congratulations!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for starting this thread! Loving it! :love: :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the colours of all 3 of your garnets- they just work PERFECTLY with your day lily!!! (What is the name of that lily? I have several (was totally insane one year and planted like 50 different strains!!!) so just curious as to what it was!)

What are your setting plans? It will be gorgeous no matter what you do! (but seriously, I am LOVING all 3 set together, they just flow so beautifully together on your hand! :love: )

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so happy you got that stone as you make such lovely jewelry with your stones. I LOVE the three of them together. The colors are gorgeous and so rich. The Malaya is beautiful as well and an uncommon, lovely color. Three stone pendant, three stone pendant, three stone pendant...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! Can you tell me how this stone performs in all lighting conditions? The reason I ask is that I bought (and returned) a lovely pink Malaya garnet that shifted from pink to peach pink because it went dull in low lighting. By dull I mean it still looked pink but did not have a sparke or glow to it. I don't know if this was the right decision and if I just expected too much from the stone. Thanks!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
LisaRN|1342302572|3233981 said:
Beautiful stone! Can you tell me how this stone performs in all lighting conditions? The reason I ask is that I bought (and returned) a lovely pink Malaya garnet that shifted from pink to peach pink because it went dull in low lighting. By dull I mean it still looked pink but did not have a sparke or glow to it. I don't know if this was the right decision and if I just expected too much from the stone. Thanks!
Lisa - Like every other darker garnet I own, this one goes dark in low light conditions. That's a big reason the Umbalite isn't set yet. I just pulled my raspberry red garnet ring out to wear today, because I was going to be out in the sun, and it is absolutely stunning in those conditions. Red flashes like crazy. But, I never wear it in the winter, when I'm indoors most of the time, because it doesn't do much then.

Compared to the Umbalite, however, the Malaya is a bit brighter, partly because it is a slightly lighter color. The spess, however, looks good in just about any lighting, because the color is much brighter.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Lori, Enerchi, Stargurl, JewelFreak, colorluvr, NKOTB, and minousbijoux.

I don't remember the name of the day lily hybrid. I picked up about 8 varieties from a local grower a few years ago when they had to go out of business due to being rezoned. When I saw Barry's photo, I thought the Malaya would be the color of my pinkish day lily and it is pretty much spot on. One thing I've learned from the Colored Stone forum is that the easiest way for me to spot a grey or brown modifier in a gemstone is to compare it to a flower. Any dullness in the stone is apparent to me then.

I'm not sure about setting plans. I'm currently kicking around the idea of setting some of my larger, unset stones, such as the Umbalite, into a "Ginger Dery" bracelet. There is a picture of Roger Dery's wife's bracelet on his website, and I have also seen it in person. The gems are bezel set with loops at one end and a clip at the other end. You can wear it as a bracelet, or clip a couple of the stones together and wear them as a pendant. http://www.spectralgems.net/christopher.html

I also want a T Lee XO Ring. I'm looking for the right stone(s). Maybe a combo of the Malaya and the Spess, sort of like this version of the XO RIng? http://tleegold.com/complete-jewelry-collection/rings/

tleegold-01497.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love the bracelet idea and I can envision that piece on you. I have a Malaya and an Umbalite garnet from BB as well but they go a cognac brown in certain lighting so it was tricky to set these. The Umbalite remains unset. Looking forward to more set pieces from you.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW - thanks for linking to the Tlee site!! Love all of those designs!!! Totally creative and funky and very unique - that will be incredible, no matter what you select from there!!! Enjoy the design and setting process!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
What gorgeous stones! And they perfectly match your flowers! :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, the first two times around visiting this thread, I really didn't notice the flowers despite the comments of others. Those stones, particularly the Malaya, caused total myopia to set in. But now I'm back for a third look and I have to say Fly, that your lilies are stunning. I love them for being the perfect, saturated, color of its own. Not red, not pink, not orange, not violet, but kinda a mix of them all? Anyway, the stones and the lilies are beautiful and I wish I had either growing in my backyard. :bigsmile:

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous stone,the color reminds me of fruit punch :love:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1342361149|3234285 said:
WOW - thanks for linking to the Tlee site!! Love all of those designs!!! Totally creative and funky and very unique - that will be incredible, no matter what you select from there!!! Enjoy the design and setting process!
Glad you enjoyed T's work, Enerchi. I've had a chance to see some of her designs in person and they are amazing. Such a creative genius.

Roger Dery comes to town in three weeks for a T Lee round table. If I don't buy a new Roger stone, setting the Malaya will be at the top of my to-do list. So excited to see Roger and his rocks again. Handling a hundred gorgeous precision cut gemstones in one evening is truly one of life's sweetest pleasures. :tongue:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, LG, erinl, minousbijoux, and Chicago.

I think one reason I went for this stone is because I was pretty sure from Barry's picture that it was a match to my flowers in my garden. It really is a neat shade of pink. The stone will coordinate well with the orange or lavendar or dark red colors that I also enjoy.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yummy!!!! I love them all! :naughty:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1342274738|3233791 said:
I love the colours of all 3 of your garnets- they just work PERFECTLY with your day lily!!! (What is the name of that lily? I have several (was totally insane one year and planted like 50 different strains!!!) so just curious as to what it was!)

What are your setting plans? It will be gorgeous no matter what you do! (but seriously, I am LOVING all 3 set together, they just flow so beautifully together on your hand! :love: )

o.k., I went on a search to try to figure out what hydrid that "pink malaya garnet" daylily is. I'm pretty sure it is a "Vera Biaglow" (or "Vera Bigalow", websites vary).

In the first set of three pictures, the first two are identified as Vera Bigalow (or Biaglow) and the third, somewhat imperfect specimen, is mine. I put another picture of my daylily below. The flower size of 6" matches, as does the stem height of 34".

Of the 6-8 different day lily hydrids I planted several years ago, the Vera Bigalow has done, by far, the best. It has spread robustly, and has the longest blooming season. A keeper. :bigsmile:

verabigalowdaylily.jpg

flygirlsdaylily_3284.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVING the day lillie pics!!! Oh my! that Vera Bigelow is a charmer!!! Glorious colour - you really did find a pretty awesome match in the Malaya!!

Um... a Roger Dery gem evening??? ah... INSANE!!! Lucky you! think you might take a pic or two just to spread the love to other lonely PSers who weren't invited to the party? (ok, maybe EVERYONE else was, but I'd sure love to see pics!!! :appl: )

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1342746488|3236950 said:
LOVE LOVE LOVING the day lillie pics!!! Oh my! that Vera Bigelow is a charmer!!! Glorious colour - you really did find a pretty awesome match in the Malaya!!

Um... a Roger Dery gem evening??? ah... INSANE!!! Lucky you! think you might take a pic or two just to spread the love to other lonely PSers who weren't invited to the party? (ok, maybe EVERYONE else was, but I'd sure love to see pics!!! :appl: )
Last year's purchase from the Roger Dery evening is this 5.59ct pear citrine. I posted the vendor photo on page 101 of the catch-all thread, about 1/3 of the way down the page.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/catch-all-thread-talk-or-better-yet-show-us.118956/page-101']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/catch-all-thread-talk-or-better-yet-show-us.118956/page-101[/URL]

Earlier this year I worked with T Lee to design this pendant in 14 kt yellow and white gold, with her signature 24kt gold weaving, and including three small brown diamonds (not to mention the Kamoka pearl that I already owned). I love wearing this piece. I know I won't see another one like it coming down the street.

rogerderycitrine.jpg

pendant_2405.jpg

pendant_2422.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:cheeky: :love: :appl: HOLY COW! That is super cool!! What an amazing design - you're right, that's awesome and you'll never see another like it! What incredible weaving detail. Wow. Just ..... Wow! So how do you think you might set this Malaya garnet? As a single or with the other gems??

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'll wait and see what happens after the Roger Dery evening. I'll probably set up an appointment with T after that to set the malaya. I like to take along some of my favorite unset gemstones, and see where T takes it. She is the design genius, not me, so things never end up like I envision. Either she loves them, and tries to work them into the design, or she ignores them. I try to keep an open mind. Working with her on a design has always been a lot of fun. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results