shape
carat
color
clarity

New baby, Band Doesn''t Fit

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvn2oxfrd

Rough_Rock
Advice needed...

Two years ago I purchased a beautiful asscher cut, ceylon sapphire, eternity wedding band from Signed Pieces. Since then, I had a beautiful baby boy. Now my lovely wedding band no longer fits.

I called Signed Pieces today to see if they would re-make me the same band using my stones and adding additional. They will not.

They gave me two options...neither of which I am thrilled with:

1. Buy back the ring (for obviously less than I paid for it.); or
2. Use the purchase price as a credit toward a new band costing at least double the original purchase price.

Frankly, I am willing to just buy a plain ''ol band to wear along side my engagement ring and pray my fingers eventually lose the pudge. My husband, on the other hand, is sentimental and liked my original sapphire band.

The only thing I can think of to do is find a jeweler willing to use my stones to make me a custom 11 stone ring (I think I will forego the eternity band this time!) Any suggestions?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Do nothing yet. I also gained a bit for a while. There is also a hormone at work in your body during and shortly before birth that makes joints looser and bigger. Also works on hands and feet. Give it some time. I gained so much bulk in my hands that my size 5 band did not fit (I had it sized up from 4.5 after first one was born) around the year and a half mark I was able to start wearing it again. I also am back down to 4.5 in a thinner band.

shay

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and congratulations on your baby boy!!!

How long ago did you have your baby? Was it quite recent? It can take up to a year - maybe longer - to lose the baby weight. Don''t rush into changing your ring as there is every chance you will lose weight.

If its been a long time then you will need to consider what to do next. I apologise that I don''t know the technical stuff surrounding having your ring sized so I can''t help you there.
1.gif

Maisie

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a 19 month old son. I gained 70+ pounds with him. Needless to say, my old jewelry did not fit for MONTHS. However, I lost all the weight (took 6-8 months of diet and exercise, sheesh), and now am back to normal. Actually, my finger is now 0.5 sizes *smaller* than before (4.5 down from 5). I still weigh the same as I did pre-pregnancy. I think my finger shrank because I gained so much weight that the flesh stretched out and lost volume, hence the smaller ring size. Also happened to me with my chest, which is less than fabulous. Hope that''s not too much info. ;-)

Anyways, all to say...if you can, wait 1 year to see what your body will do. And then decide on a new ring or not. Maybe buy something cute and inexpensive for now to wear in between.

Congrats on your baby. :)

Anne

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I agree that you should wait for right now. Put the ring in a drawer, buy a plain metal band, and get on with life and with raising that baby. Your ring might fit again some day. If it doesn't, it makes sense to have it remade into a ring that is sizable.

My original wedding set fit again some months after my first baby, but my knuckles stayed enlarged after my second baby, and I have never been able to wear that set again. I'm a little surprised about the popularity of non-sizable eternity bands. I'll bet there will be a lot of them consigned for sale in a few years, and you might be able to pick up a slightly larger replacement band for a song.
26.gif

Congratulations on that new baby!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree to wait, and I also hope the younger ladies reading this will consider buying 1/2 and 3/4 eternity rings that can be sized. Not many of us stay the exact same size over 20-50 years.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 12:40:40 PM
Author: anne_h
Hope that's not too much info. ;-)
Anne
Anne, you are a riot!
9.gif

Luvn, maybe you could wear the ring on a chain for a while? Just as a pendant, until you see if your body re-adjusts.

I'm so jealous of those women who, aside from the belly, hardly look pregnant! How do they do that??

Congrats on the birth of your son!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
WAIT. You will go back to your prepregnant state.
1.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 4:13:32 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I agree to wait, and I also hope the younger ladies reading this will consider buying 1/2 and 3/4 eternity rings that can be sized. Not many of us stay the exact same size over 20-50 years.
The very reason I chose a 1/2 eternity for my new wedding band. I still can''t decide whether it''s a bit loose or not. I''m driving my jeweler crazy because I keep calling to have it sized and changing my mind
14.gif

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Ditto. I love the look of full eternity bands but will not commit to it and have been telling all my friends to go 1/2 or 3/4 eternity.

I put on 40 pounds during pregnancy and took me about 6 months before I lost all my pregnancy weight, and could wear my e-ring and wedding band again on my left hand. Can''t say the same about the fingers on my right hand. They got about 1/4 to 1/2 sizes bigger
5.gif

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 8:46:35 PM
Author: Jewels

Ditto. I love the look of full eternity bands but will not commit to it and have been telling all my friends to go 1/2 or 3/4 eternity.

I put on 40 pounds during pregnancy and took me about 6 months before I lost all my pregnancy weight, and could wear my e-ring and wedding band again on my left hand. Can''t say the same about the fingers on my right hand. They got about 1/4 to 1/2 sizes bigger
5.gif
I didn''t gain much weight while pregnant (18lbs with my first pregnancy and 22 lbs with my second), I gained weight while being a stay at home mom!
23.gif
Anyway, I too noticed my right hand getting bigger than my left and it hasn''t gone down with my weight while the left hand seems to get smaller.

Anyway, I totally agree with DS on the 3/4 eternity!

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
Definately wait - at least a year to year and a half. Your shape will change post baby, even if you lose weight, so you need to see how your body settles IYKWIM. It took me a good year to be able to wear my rings again. On the plus side, when you wear them again, it is like having new rings as you havnt seen them for a while
26.gif

D2B

ringplease

Shiny_Rock
I am in the process of searching for the perfect engagement ring with my boyfriend and I have been struggling with the size issue. For me it is my knuckles that are the limiting factor such that rings that go over my knuckles spin on my fingers... but that is another story...

However, I spoke a lot with my mom about the size issue and her thoughts echo what most people have said on here- Her fingers were too big for her rings for about a year after nad then it was like they went back on as if nothing had happened. So, I would too say wait. Don''t change your eternity ring quite yet!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with just waiting. you''re body will continue to change for some time after you have a baby and you could very well be able to wear it again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results