shape
carat
color
clarity

New and need advice on engagement ring

hey196884

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I'm wading into the world of diamonds as I'm looking into buying an engagement ring for my amazing girlfriend. It doesn't have to be the craziest rock, but I want it to dazzle her as much as she dazzles me.

Price range: $5000-7000 with setting

With that price range, is it realistic to look for a really nice .9 to 1.3 or so carat diamond? She also likes the look of settings with some side stones, but doesn't have any preference between natural or man-made.

Where would I start to look at buying a diamond like this, and at what stage would I then look at the setting? Any advice you have is very, very appreciated!

Has she given you any suggestions on what type of setting she likes? There are so many options for jewelers and you will definitely get more for your money if you go with a lab-grown diamond.

Has she given you any suggestions on what type of setting she likes? There are so many options for jewelers and you will definitely get more for your money if you go with a lab-grown diamond.
She’s given a couple ideas for settings: typically something with smaller side stones inlaid though, as opposed to a plain band.
IMG_5577.jpegIMG_5576.jpeg

What shape are you looking for? Do you have a color preference for the diamond?

There is huge discrepancy in price between natural and lab. Some people want a natural diamond for an engagement ring and some don’t care. You probably need to give this some thought in terms of which way you (or she) want to go.

What shape are you looking for? Do you have a color preference for the diamond?

There is huge discrepancy in price between natural and lab. Some people want a natural diamond for an engagement ring and some don’t care. You probably need to give this some thought in terms of which way you (or she) want to go.

Thanks for the advice, that is good to know! I feel like for shape she likes rounds and ovals, and for color I think anywhere from D-G or so? But I don't know if that works with the price range.... The good news is I don't think she has any attachment to natural diamonds, so lab would be fine.

It might be good to make sure she's okay with lab-grown. Your budget will buy a large lab grown, but this is a good time to buy mined diamonds as well, prices are low. I bought a (dirty) E 1 ct princess for 1K.
Not recommending I1 for an engagement ring!

It might be good to make sure she's okay with lab-grown. Your budget will buy a large lab grown, but this is a good time to buy mined diamonds as well, prices are low. I bought a (dirty) E 1 ct princess for 1K.
Not recommending I1 for an engagement ring!

That's a good point! I asked her and she said she doesn't have a preference... what would the advantages be of going with natural vs. lab besides price difference that you mentioned?

That's a good point! I asked her and she said she doesn't have a preference... what would the advantages be of going with natural vs. lab besides price difference that you mentioned?

Well, I'm one of those for whom lab diamonds are not mind clean so take my comments with that in mind. But it does seem to me that the price of lab diamonds keeps dropping in more than minimal amounts. That is also driving down the cost of natural diamonds, but my guess, and it's just a guess as I'm not an expert by any means is that natural stones will not loose value as fast as lab grown. Not that you can sell a natural second hand for what you paid, but if you want to trade up at any point in the future, natural will probably be a better bet. But of course, that's a "bet" as none of us has a crystal ball. And although neither of you may now think that you would never trade up, it does happen. And around here, it happens quite a lot.

Well, I'm one of those for whom lab diamonds are not mind clean so take my comments with that in mind. But it does seem to me that the price of lab diamonds keeps dropping in more than minimal amounts. That is also driving down the cost of natural diamonds, but my guess, and it's just a guess as I'm not an expert by any means is that natural stones will not loose value as fast as lab grown. Not that you can sell a natural second hand for what you paid, but if you want to trade up at any point in the future, natural will probably be a better bet. But of course, that's a "bet" as none of us has a crystal ball. And although neither of you may now think that you would never trade up, it does happen. And around here, it happens quite a lot.

That makes sense, so buying a natural diamond helps maintain some of the value and lets you trade up at a better deal! So if I wanted to get a natural diamond in this price range, what should I look for?? I'm generally aware of the 4 Cs from poking around this forum for a couple days, but I feel like there are so many advanced considerations that I don't understand yet that I look at a diamond online and like it has the right Cs but I can't tell if it would be good.

For your budget, I would honestly focus the majority of the money on the diamond. The diamond I have linked is from Whiteflash - a super ideal cut diamond vendor featured here. These stones are well vetted and take the guesswork out of good or bad. You can go to Whiteflash.com and read about their diamonds and process of choosing. You can also browse their inventory. You can take advantage of the wire price listed for each diamond if you wire the money.
Just a suggestion but there is a lot of information on their website that will help you learn more about diamond cut. Their A Cut Above diamonds are just gorgeous! Even in a less expensive, plain setting they are sure to wow!
Another possibility and a bit larger: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...olor-vs1-clarity-round-ideal-cut-sku-a4437171

If $7000 is your absolute max with setting, then take a look at this. An H color would be fine with most people, unless they are very color sensitive. This leaves a little wiggle room for the setting. I agree, that you should dedicate the majority of your budget to the diamond. If you want a setting with diamonds on the sides, you'll be spending more on the setting and going down on the diamond.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP