shape
carat
color
clarity

new and have a few questions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone! like a people i have been lurking around ps for a while, i love anything that sparkles
9.gif
. i finally was able to register and i have plenty of questions. my boyfriend and i are looking at engagement ring and have been for a while. i tend to be attracked to very unique and/or antique pieces. in my search to give him ideas of what i like ( he wants to do the actual shopping and buying by himself ) i have come across some very unique diamond cuts, they may be propietary cuts but i was wondering if any one else had information on them. i have researched as much as i could but was unable to find much info or good photos. the cuts im in love with now are the cushion ( found plenty of info on this one), the northern lights cut, and the lozenge cut.

This is the only photo I have found of the northern lights:

Northern Lights 963.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I assume the northern lights and lozenge cuts are proprietary, and so I don't know anything about them.

But we recently bought a cushion, so I did a TON of research on that and would be happy to answer any questions for you about cushions.

Welcome to PS!!!

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
this is the lozenge cut- its called modified lozenge brillant on nelsonrarities.com

love the whole ring 963.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohh that''s really pretty. Maybe the lozenge is like an antique version of a marquise? The facet arrangement definetly looks antiquey. If you like that look also check out Old European diamonds and Old Mine Cuts/Old Mine Brilliants.

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
im pretty sure the northern lights is atleast, i think through the same company who does the polar bear diamonds....
I fell in love with cushion cuts a several years ago when i was 14 i still have the photo of the ring, my dream ring of course. and i love it because the diamond is rectangular, probably with a ratio between 1.20 and 1.40 but its also a 5 carat diamond. i was curious as to whether or not i could get a similar effect with a small carat size .75- .95? the long rectangle is necessary for the setting, or at least the way i like it.

here is my dream ring

dream ring963.jpg

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
i love it because its so different im actually not a big fan of marquise but i love the shape of the lozenge... im just picky i guess
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a ring like that would look really gorgeous even with a smaller size. BUT it won''t look like that ring because there will be much more metal visible and much less finger coverage with the diamond.

For reference, my ring is a .81 cushion on a size 5.75 finger. You can see that even if you turned the diamond so it were set E/W you would still see the sides of the split shank. But I don''t think that''s a bad look at all, just different.

I say go for it! It''s gorgeous!

calliecushion543543.jpg

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
i actually like smaller stones on my finger... im a 4.5 when my fingers are biggest during the summer, im more worried about getting the very noticable rectangular shape rather than a square shape. a week or so ago i actually found what i think is the setting in another thread here in ps.

the one on the left. i dont like it as much with the round but i love it with the e/w cushion

dream ring setting.jpg

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
your cushion is one of the ones i really admire here on ps! i think is gorgous, and i love that its not supersize like so many others.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww thanks! I love it too, it''s a perfect size for me right now. I think you can''t go wrong with a cushion set E/W in a split shank setting (BTW, that''s what to tell your BF when he goes out looking because that''s jewelry speak for what you want!). I highly recommend your BF call Mark at Engagement Rings Direct if he''s open to online shopping (or if you are in New York). Mark is amazing to work with no matter what size stone you want and he also does a lot of custom work, so he could easily make a setting to your exact specifications.

We got my ring from Mark and I just ordered my wband from him too. He''s great!

With a 4.5 size finger that ring will be gorgeous!

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help! yea i have told him to check out pricescope when he gets a chance... right now he is on deployment and he was waiting on his signing bonus to buy the ring but it didnt come until he had shiped out
7.gif
so he said he would look at places over seas and to send him ideas... he was pretty bummed he was unable to leave with out being offically engaged. but i have told him to come here when he gets a chance to really start looking
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid I know nothing about the proprietary cuts you listed (or cushions for that matter), but I just looove the dream cushion ring you posted. The look is really unique and gorgeous. It might be hard to find a cushion like that, but certainly worth the effort!! That ring is just gorgeous!

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
Is custom work really expensive? im not sure of his buget, i think its bigger than when we first started looking a year ago... under $2000.... but im not sure what it would be now, probably not much bigger than $4000 at the most, if that. but from looking at diamonds on ps and a few other sites i have found diamonds i like for around 2500, but for that to work the setting couldnt be too much... but thats ok i dont need a bunch of diamonds on the setting, with the slpit shank setting 4 or 5 to each shank. do you think that is do-able? oh and white gold also.

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
thanks! i really love it, i hope he chooses something similar. i dont want to push too much and i know i will love anything he does get, i love the jewelry hes already bought me!
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 11:13:55 PM
Author: _Sarah_
Is custom work really expensive? im not sure of his buget, i think its bigger than when we first started looking a year ago... under $2000.... but im not sure what it would be now, probably not much bigger than $4000 at the most, if that. but from looking at diamonds on ps and a few other sites i have found diamonds i like for around 2500, but for that to work the setting couldnt be too much... but thats ok i dont need a bunch of diamonds on the setting, with the slpit shank setting 4 or 5 to each shank. do you think that is do-able? oh and white gold also.
Yes, *quality* custom work is quite expensive. A nice setting of this type alone will probably be about 3k and up. With your budget you can get about a .7-.8 stone in a simple setting. Then maybe later on you could upgrade the setting to your dream setting.

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 11:24:02 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Date: 5/14/2007 11:13:55 PM

Author: _Sarah_

Yes, *quality* custom work is quite expensive. A nice setting of this type alone will probably be about 3k and up. With your budget you can get about a .7-.8 stone in a simple setting. Then maybe later on you could upgrade the setting to your dream setting.

ok good to know, thank you. its truly up to him what he gets and i know that i will love it simply for the symbol that it is.

_Sarah_

Rough_Rock
im curious to see other e/w set cushions. i havent seen that style of setting on someones hand and i would like to. so please feel free to post photos of e/w cushions... or for that matter any kind of unique settings.... im still not completely decided and i always love seeing other peoples gorgous sparkly rings
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results