shape
carat
color
clarity

New 7ct eternity band has a loose stone:(

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
I received my 7.17ct eternity band from WF end of March, upon receipt there were 2 loose stones so it went back right away. I received the ring back beginning of April. Today, I noticed one for sure, maybe 2, loose stone again.

Here is the link to the thread that I introduced the ring: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/7ct-aca-eternity-band-from-whiteflash.248205/
For background, I wear the ring in my right hand. I don’t wear it that much. I don’t wear it while cooking cleaning, working out, etc. I don’t recall any majors hits. I clean it with an ultrasonic and steamer once a week. I have worn a 4ct emerald cut eternity band stacked with 2-1ct eternity bands (all shared prong) and had no issues with loose stones.

WF has been great to work with and they felt horrible for the original error. Since, today is Saturday the new issue won’t be addressed until Monday. I’m sure they will feel bad and things will be handled without issue.

However, this raises a few concerns for me:
1. Is the setting poorly done, allowing for stones to come loose?
2. Is the combo of .5 and u prong a recipe for loose stones?
3. If it’s the setting, what setting should I look at instead?
4. Should I send somewhere else?
5. Is it the ultrasonic??

The emerald cut band was u- prongs and I had no issues which I why I was comfortable going with a u prong setting, but these diamonds are bigger. Seeing that I don’t wear the ring that often, I’m leaning towards there is an error in the way the diamonds are set...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no way for us to know if the setting is to blame. Eternities are probably more prone I would think because of the stones on the palm side of your hand - more of a chance to knock them loose. Let WF assess the problem - if it needs to be reworked I am sure they will take care of it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I am a fan of WF, for me personally, this is one time too many ... for sure I am always annoyed when I receive something brand new and straight away out of the box there are craftsmanship issues. In your case, upon receipt you found 2 loose stones. This is a major diamond eternity, with larger than average stones, so I would have thought WF would have quadruple-checked each stone to ensure it was securely set. You got the repaired ring back in April and 2 months later you have another loose stone if not 2. I suppose there is no way of knowing if it the same 2 stones are before, and not sure it matters. With the immediate need of repair, WF was on notice the brand-new ring had craftsmanship/setting issues and I would have thought they would have quadruple-checked every diamond was securely set before sending back the repaired eternity. In the end, it doesn't really matter if they quadruple-checked or not; your eternity has had loose stones upon receipt and again 2 months after it was repaired ... unacceptable in my eyes; and whether it is due to craftsmanship or due to the setting design + stone size, if it were mine I would be thinking the eternity is defective and unwearable. If it could have been done right, with secure stones, WF had 2 opportunities to do so. I would ask either that the setting be crafted anew, or else a full refund. That's me though.

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
Although I am a fan of WF, for me personally, this is one time too many ... for sure I am always annoyed when I receive something brand new and straight away out of the box there are craftsmanship issues. In your case, upon receipt you found 2 loose stones. This is a major diamond eternity, with larger than average stones, so I would have thought WF would have quadruple-checked each stone to ensure it was securely set. You got the repaired ring back in April and 2 months later you have another loose stone if not 2. I suppose there is no way of knowing if it the same 2 stones are before, and not sure it matters. With the immediate need of repair, WF was on notice the brand-new ring had craftsmanship/setting issues and I would have thought they would have quadruple-checked every diamond was securely set before sending back the repaired eternity. In the end, it doesn't really matter if they quadruple-checked or not; your eternity has had loose stones upon receipt and again 2 months after it was repaired ... unacceptable in my eyes; and whether it is due to craftsmanship or due to the setting design + stone size, if it were mine I would be thinking the eternity is defective and unwearable. If it could have been done right, with secure stones, WF had 2 opportunities to do so. I would ask either that the setting be crafted anew, or else a full refund. That's me though.

I agree. I think the setting needs to be redone. The two stones that are loose are not next to each, like they were before. So, maybe one of the loose stones is the same as before, but not both. I know that people that work at WF are on the forum here, however I purchased a 4.16ct diamond, an 8ct tennis bracelet, and this eternity band (all diamond purchased were ACA) within the first qtr of 2019. At this point, I love the diamonds and want an eternity band made with these diamonds. If that means I get a refund for the setting and send it somewhere else, so be it. However, I have no issues with my other two pieces and think this is just a QC issue.

If I was doing heavy work (I.e.: landscaping- live in a condo, or cleaning- have cleaning service) I can maybe understand the stones being loose. However, this ring is worn maybe an hour or two a day and that constitutes while a sit and watch the news or read a book while at home with hubby and our fur baby. No heavy wear and tear.

sep004

Rough_Rock
I just clicked on the thread with your reveal photos and something's off... it's almost like the ring and the stones are too big for your finger. I didn't think that there was ever such a thing as "too big" but something is not working. It doesn't LOOK right. It doesn't look comfortable at all. Maybe you need to go a size smaller, maybe one less diamond, maybe the diameter is off and that's why the prongs are not hugging the diamonds tight enough? Something is just not working and it's visible in your initial photos.

Edit: I just noticed how many people in the previous thread asked if your ring was comfortable. It just looks off. Your ring is supposed to be comfortable with your fingers together. You shouldn't have to hold them apart to make it feel ok. Maybe look for smaller diameter diamonds or go a size smaller to have it fit tighter. Unfortunately, sometimes what we think we want isn't always what works. It's a gorgeous ring in theory but maybe not good for real life.

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
I just clicked on the thread with your reveal photos and something's off... it's almost like the ring and the stones are too big for your finger. I didn't think that there was ever such a thing as "too big" but something is not working. It doesn't LOOK right. It doesn't look comfortable at all. Maybe you need to go a size smaller, maybe one less diamond, maybe the diameter is off and that's why the prongs are not hugging the diamonds tight enough? Something is just not working and it's visible in your initial photos.

Edit: I just noticed how many people in the previous thread asked if your ring was comfortable. It just looks off. Your ring is supposed to be comfortable with your fingers together. You shouldn't have to hold them apart to make it feel ok. Maybe look for smaller diameter diamonds or go a size smaller to have it fit tighter. Unfortunately, sometimes what we think we want isn't always what works. It's a gorgeous ring in theory but maybe not good for real life.

@sep004
I did answer the question that people had about the ring being comfortable- The ring is comfortable to wear. I had a 4ct emerald ct eternity that also bummed into my fingers and that was uncomfortable. With large eternity bands you have allow for the height of the stones going around and the fingers will need to separate. The look is not for everyone. I’m not a hand model and am sure the way I posed in the pictures does not help. I don’t walk around during the day with my fingers squeezed together. While in a relaxed position the band does not touch my other fingers like pictured. I’m not sure if you saying that you just don’t like my ring, because not liking what something looks like doesn't have anything to do with loose stones. As for you comment about sizing, I’m completely baffled and a bit insulted that you would assume that I would spend the kind of money I did on this ring and not have it properly sized!?!?! Uh, yes the ring is sized correctly there is no room to move down, because it would not fit my finger, or move up, cause it would slip off my finger. It is the correct size. Now, if you meant that because of my ring size, which I’m not going to be able to change, that the carat weight/stone does not work due to the geometry of a proper setting (I.e. circumferences ring, #of stones that fit within, allowing for proper prong width etc.) Then that is on WF. I told them what my ideas, they said how many diamonds, setting would work, and here she is. If they would have told me 1 less diamond or a different setting I would have listened.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@miimac7 your eternity is stunning and absolutely nothing about it looks “off”.

I would work with WF to resolve the issue, I am sure that they will be accommodating. Do you know what’s the alloy of the metal? That could also be the problem.

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
@miimac7 your eternity is absolutely stunning and absolutely nothing about it looks “off”.

I would work with WF to resolve the issue, I am sure that they will be accommodating. Do you know what’s the alloy of the metal? That could also be the problem.

Platinum metal

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
Right, but there are multiple PT alloys. Some of the more popular-
PT950/Ir
PT900/Ir
PT950/Ru

The ring has PT stamped on the inside. A specific alloy was not discussed. What would you recommend I ask for?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider a low 4 prong setting? Those stones are fairly substantial and I dont think 4 prongs would distract from a band of that size at all.
Pic below. I cant answer your question about your setting. I'm of the mind that we're tougher on our rings then we realize but you have worn
other eternities without issue.
4 prong 2.PNG

Attachments

• 4 prong 1.PNG
    4 prong 1.PNG
    121.1 KB · Views: 105

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
Would you consider a low 4 prong setting? Those stones are fairly substantial and I dont think 4 prongs would distract from a band of that size at all.
Pic below. I cant answer your question about your setting. I'm of the mind that we're tougher on our rings then we realize but you have worn
other eternities without issue.
4 prong 2.PNG

Totally open

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately the combination of design choice, stone size, and metal selection presents a fundamental problem that’s only exacerbated by anything but the gentlest wear.

1. The U-print style lacks crossbars to help hold each prong in place. Every time you open a door, hold a drawer, pick up grocery bags - you’re applying forces on the stones that are transferred to the prongs - those forces want to push the prongs out of place, and the U prong design makes it easier for them to do so.

2. Your stones are huge! And glorious! But they’re also deeper than smaller stones, meaning that the straights of each U prong need to be longer, meaning that they’re less sturdy at the tips - especially without crossbars, which goes back to #1.

3. You’ve probably heard people say that platinum is the “strongest” metal. It’s not. Platinum has a few particular characteristics that make it popular for pave in particular - first, it deforms inelastically, which means that when it’s forced out of shape it tends to stay out of shape (vs. bouncing back and possibly snapping), which is desirable when you’ve got tons of tiny prongs holding tiny stones. Second, when you polish it it tends to lose far less metal than gold.

The first feature is the problem here. Every time you pressure your ring, those platinum prongs are doing their platinum-ey thing and shifting slightly to accommodate those pressures. When you have a design like this, having prongs that refuse to shift and that snap back into place as soon as the force is removed would be preferable - this setting style needs this “springiness”, and you aren’t talking about tiny pave prongs that will snap easily. I’m confident you would have fewer issues with 14k YG, 14k Nickel/WG, or 14k/18k RG... All alloys of platinum are going to be problematic in this regard.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an eternity with the same size stones, & did have a problem with loose stones—not upon receipt, but after wearing it for a while. Can’t remember but iirc, I think WF remade the setting within that first year. They will do what is needed to make the issue right—you can rest easy! My setting is a basket setting with a spacer bar in back rather than a u-prong setting. @yssie brought up some valid points, I’ve wondered at times if the stone size has bearing on the stones becoming loose over time. I’m very careful with that ring now, & check it frequently, as I can feel a couple of the stones are a teeny bit loose. I’m now wondering if a 4 prong setting would’ve been the best alternative, I ultimately may need to have it converted as @tyty333 suggested. I’m interested to see what you decide...

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an eternity with the same size stones, & did have a problem with loose stones—not upon receipt, but after wearing it for a while. Can’t remember but iirc, I think WF remade the setting within that first year. They will do what is needed to make the issue right—you can rest easy! My setting is a basket setting with a spacer bar in back rather than a u-prong setting. @yssie brought up some valid points, I’ve wondered at times if the stone size has bearing on the stones becoming loose over time. I’m very careful with that ring now, & check it frequently, as I can feel a couple of the stones are a teeny bit loose. I’m now wondering if a 4 prong setting would’ve been the best alternative, I ultimately may need to have it converted as @tyty333 suggested. I’m interested to see what you decide...
My memory was faulty, from my emails, it appears the ring went back to WF for tightening at 13 mo., then at 19 mo. After that, I took it locally to be tightened. I couldn’t find any email correspondence regarding a remake of the setting. Perhaps it was a verbal dialogue...but then & again, I could be wrong—my apologies. (My family nick name is ‘Memory Cell’—as in singular, because I can’t remember anything.)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I received my 7.17ct eternity band from WF end of March, upon receipt there were 2 loose stones so it went back right away. I received the ring back beginning of April. Today, I noticed one for sure, maybe 2, loose stone again.

Here is the link to the thread that I introduced the ring: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/7ct-aca-eternity-band-from-whiteflash.248205/
For background, I wear the ring in my right hand. I don’t wear it that much. I don’t wear it while cooking cleaning, working out, etc. I don’t recall any majors hits. I clean it with an ultrasonic and steamer once a week. I have worn a 4ct emerald cut eternity band stacked with 2-1ct eternity bands (all shared prong) and had no issues with loose stones.

WF has been great to work with and they felt horrible for the original error. Since, today is Saturday the new issue won’t be addressed until Monday. I’m sure they will feel bad and things will be handled without issue.

However, this raises a few concerns for me:
1. Is the setting poorly done, allowing for stones to come loose?
2. Is the combo of .5 and u prong a recipe for loose stones?
3. If it’s the setting, what setting should I look at instead?
4. Should I send somewhere else?
5. Is it the ultrasonic??

The emerald cut band was u- prongs and I had no issues which I why I was comfortable going with a u prong setting, but these diamonds are bigger. Seeing that I don’t wear the ring that often, I’m leaning towards there is an error in the way the diamonds are set...
@miimac7 ,
I'm very sorry for your disappointment and significant inconvenience. When the ring gets back here I will meet with our production manager and COO to determine if this is a structural issue caused by the metal or the design.

We will do whatever is necessary to correct the situation so that you can enjoy the ring with full confidence.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How strong is the ultrasonic you are using? I shook a tiny diamond out of an Antique Navette ring that was caked in gunk I wanted to clean. I suspect it's a combination of the design style of the ring ie the U shaped prongs and the ultrasonic....

Regardless a ring with stones that size should not have ones that come loose, if they can't fix it you need to think about a more secure style of prongs and maybe try a windex bath followed by a scrub with a toothbrush and hot water and a good washing up liquid instead of the ultrasonic.

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
@miimac7 ,
I'm very sorry for your disappointment and significant inconvenience. When the ring gets back here I will meet with our production manager and COO to determine if this is a structural issue caused by the metal or the design.

We will do whatever is necessary to correct the situation so that you can enjoy the ring with full confidence.

Thank you. I look forward to resolving the issues. I do think this ring has some bad mojo or something cause we just can’t catch a break.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results