shape
carat
color
clarity

Never seen setting like this?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
DD815D34-32B2-4C49-8AD3-B5384C176F8F.jpeg

To put it all in context, what you have is the height of elegance and represents the expectation of progress and luxury for that generation as they were coming out of the Great Depression. Whether you reset the stone or adapt it to your own preference, I hope you will enjoy it often! It deserves to be worn.

Check out the Footlight Parade, too.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think the setting is intersting and unique, although clearly from another era. The diamond is spectacular! Looking forward to see how you reset it (if you do).

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
Yes, the way OECs are cut, they tend toward higher weight (don’t we all, says the woman who has been Covid carb-loading for weeks).... they are neither shallow in the pavilion nor in the crown, as they are were cut to maximize weight rather than spread. However that is desirable if you ask me.

Upon searching ‘Art Deco French 18k solitaire’ through google, I’m wondering if you might prefer to resell the original setting instead of alter it. It may at first seem an acquired taste, but there is a market for it. How does that make you feel? Are you sentimentally attached to the setting? Or the stone? Or both?

I’m still swivelling wether to just get a brand new band and setting made or not.But do love the star part of the setting. Do love the historical part of it.

What do you think about the clarity? Do you think it’s an ok diamond? Maybe I1 . It does have wee feather in in but can’t really see it. Xx

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m still swivelling wether to just get a brand new band and setting made or not.But do love the star part of the setting. Do love the historical part of it.

What do you think about the clarity? Do you think it’s an ok diamond? Maybe I1 . It does have wee feather in in but can’t really see it. Xx
1590685389638.jpeg
The picture above looks very very clear to me! Is there a carbon speck? I’m not able to see well because my eyes are old. However, I think it would be very much in your best interest to have the stone graded.

As an aside, the GIA does not provide angle measurements for old cuts, but other labs do, so I’d suggest sending it off when you feel ready, when the labs reopen. This is what I will do with my newest stone, quite before I make any decisions on how to reset her (or not).

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

You may already know this, but if not...another HUGE bonus in a cut like this with the tiny table on top. Low light fireworks! It was cut to dazzle in low gas lighting so any indirect lighting at night will dazzle you in a new way. Newer cuts do best in modern lighting, but the language of old cuts at night! Mercy.

My main engagement ring is an old cut cushion with a tiny table. One night I sat with my daughter in a parking lot and the diamond looked like a firework show. It threw all sorts of colors due to the electric signs near by. My daughter (who is not a jewelry girl at all, and swore she disliked boring diamonds) breathed, "Oh Mom! your RING!". Now, she has decided when she gets engaged she must have an old cut too.

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
You may already know this, but if not...another HUGE bonus in a cut like this with the tiny table on top. Low light fireworks! It was cut to dazzle in low gas lighting so any indirect lighting at night will dazzle you in a new way. Newer cuts do best in modern lighting, but the language of old cuts at night! Mercy.

My main engagement ring is an old cut cushion with a tiny table. One night I sat with my daughter in a parking lot and the diamond looked like a firework show. It threw all sorts of colors due to the electric signs near by. My daughter (who is not a jewelry girl at all, and swore she disliked boring diamonds) breathed, "Oh Mom! your RING!". Now, she has decided when she gets engaged she must have an old cut too.

I didn't know that until recently....

I did notice that when I wore it outside to wee what it was like! Theirs a little woodland just next to me and in the low lighting, because of the shade of the trees , she really did glow!! I was in love!!

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
1590685389638.jpeg
The picture above looks very very clear to me! Is there a carbon speck? I’m not able to see well because my eyes are old. However, I think it would be very much in your best interest to have the stone graded.

As an aside, the GIA does not provide angle measurements for old cuts, but other labs do, so I’d suggest sending it off when you feel ready, when the labs reopen. This is what I will do with my newest stone, quite before I make any decisions on how to reset her (or not).

Think their is a wee inclusion but can barely notice it when you look at it in person. I will definitely get it looked at when places are open. They say that OEC have petal patterns, can you see that in mine? I don't think u can, might be my dodgy eye sight lol x

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
Wee update...its been along 4 weeks!! Lol my ring will be finished tomorrow!

4 weeks seems like a life time lol.
I will upload the final picture tomorrow of the finished new look. Not really much changed, just new setting and lowered.

received_266861131400981.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting! Looking forward to seeing it!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I missed this thread the first time around but I'm excited for you that you will have it back soon!!

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
Received a video of its progress ....it was supposed to be finished yesterday lol, so don’t mind waiting a few days more, sorry about video quality but what a difference from before! I just can’t wait to get it home and on my finger. The setting reminds me of a flower from the side profile.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I like the remodel. You kept the spirit of the ring but can wear it so much easier.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE! Oh my it looks so fantastic, that diamond is a dream, looks great on you!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that is just beautiful! While I thought the original was also amazing, this does look like it will be so much more wearable, while still entirely unique. Great job by both you and the jeweler!!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Love the new look of the ring! It is beautiful and definitely more wearable then before. Enjoy!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful! A diamond like that is a real unicorn - it goes with everything! Looking forward to seeing your ring stack as you play with her and try new combinations!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely worth the redo. It turned out amazing!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! Love it! It turned out beautifully and is much more wearable. It's such a prettty diamond. The ring looks great on you!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the remodel! It’s a lovely ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results