shape
carat
color
clarity

Never say never, MMD newbie.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
So here is a post I didn't expect to make but it just shows me to never say never. As I said the other week in my Earth grown quest I had never considered looking at MMD but here I am. After I sat and discussed my conversation that I had had with an Australian diamond supplier to my husband I realised that all my reasons for not really worrying about buying a stone without a GIA certification (the supplier had a lovely stone with an EGL cert) really supported not being concerned about the difference of getting a LGD. ie No one would know what the certification was unless I told them, I was never going to upgrade after this one, I never wanted a humungous diamond- was happy to stay around that 1.5-2.5 carat range, no one in my family or friends are remotely interested in jewellery at all! Add into this I can now obtain a better colour and clarity as well as sticking to my preferred length ratio, mm size range all for a much smaller price is a huge factor.

The Australian dollar comes into this equation massively - for each Australian dollar, we only get 67 US cents. Whilst we are extremely comfortable financially I am also extremely aware that being self employed plus having 3 teenagers (one of whom is competing in sport in the US meaning each and every month my husband and he fly back and forth!!) that upgrade is a want, not a need.

So to now give the parameters again - D-F colour, FL-VS1 clarity, Marquise preferable 2ct to a max 2.5ct, Length ratio min 1.8, preferable stone over 12.5mm, this time I am looking at GIA certified and I would prefer to stay well under $4k USD.

These are the stones I like that meet my requirements so far:-

2.22 Marquise F VS1
GIA certificate

2.30 Marquise F VVS1
GIA Certificate

2.14 Marquise F VS1
GIA Certificate

So can anyone comment as to which of these stones are better - I'm having a hard time since their stats are all pretty identical and I can't really see any major discrepancies in their videos?
I really appreciate any assistance offered.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing about marquis. I have been looking at round and step cuts for a long time and am happy to learn about marquis as you go on this journey. I also was looking for a EGD and switched to LGD and have no problem with being mind clean. Like you said, no one will know (and I'm hoping to get some studs with the ring!!)

HGar

Shiny_Rock
@momofive I've been reading every update of your journey! Its been interesting to watch the evolution of "normalising" MMD over the last two years.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
It did kill me to see that article that MMD have such a large markup. But they are beautiful!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn't access the video for the 2.3, so between the 2.22 and the 2.14 something about the 2.22 catches my eye more than the 2.14 - possibly better symmetry ? Hard to quite pinpoint since the two video styles are so different.

Also - welcome to the MMD side! They aren't for everyone, but I hope you find a diamond that makes your heart sing every time you look at it.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Here is the 2.3ct video I’ve been sent by the vendor

Thanks @vintageinjune for your advice.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, Kyton!
See anything that jump out at you?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.2 is so sparkly!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Kyton here's a helpful hint: check Friendly Diamonds and Ritani to see if they also have the 2.22 listed. :)

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. That is great! Do you just enter the Lab report in the search bar??

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone - just woke up to all your replies (only problem with posting from Australia LOL).

Husband is currently in the US so I’ll chat with him today and see which way to go.

Appreciate everyone’s help so much xx

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I took a crash course in Marquise to buy a 1 carat to use for a necklace. I got it from ritani and when I searched the report number it was also on another site for double the price... LOL

Good luck and have fun with the process!

HGar

Shiny_Rock
So I pulled the pin on one of the stones via B2C Jewels - who are just so helpful and lovely at calming frazzled nerves. Fingers crossed it will arrive for collection by my husband who is currently in the US with our child for the season opening of his chosen sport.

Just as a side note about how expensive everything sparkly is here in Australia- the lovely wholesaler I’ve been chatting to sent me a video of a lovely E VS1 2.5ct marquise lab which was $7.7k AUD ($5.2k USD) whereas I’ve paid less then $2k USD for a 2.3ct F VVS1.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
So I pulled the pin on one of the stones via B2C Jewels - who are just so helpful and lovely at calming frazzled nerves. Fingers crossed it will arrive for collection by my husband who is currently in the US with our child for the season opening of his chosen sport.

Just as a side note about how expensive everything sparkly is here in Australia- the lovely wholesaler I’ve been chatting to sent me a video of a lovely E VS1 2.5ct marquise lab which was $7.7k AUD ($5.2k USD) whereas I’ve paid less then $2k USD for a 2.3ct F VVS1.
Congrats on the purchase and finding a way to spend less. Yikes. I have noticed so much variability in price between vendors.

I have this scissor/criss cut on the way. Not sure yet what I’m doing with it just thought it was cool looking.

Maybe an East/West three stone

It IS cool looking. Let me know what you do. I had one for a while and always wondered what I should do with it, although I had it in a solitaire. Great to hear what you think when it arrives. I think quite a few are interested in this cut.

I have been looking at ovals but after seeing the elongated cushion @springsparkle recently purchased, I may be changing my mind. Am I the only one who is addicted to watching lab diamonds spin on the Ritani website?
Calliecake, I too, am under the spell and it's expensive! That elongated cushion is wonderful!

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Well she’s here and I love both the stone and setting as well as the matching band.

Simon and Aden at B2C Jewels are amazing and I highly recommend them.

Attachments

• 505E8942-294B-43F3-A155-8ADEBE6307FA.jpeg
    505E8942-294B-43F3-A155-8ADEBE6307FA.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 22

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Really pretty. Love the flashes.. Wear it in good health!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results