shape
carat
color
clarity

Never Forget Sept. 11th

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Karl! I still remember this day clearly for me where I was and what I was doing when it all happened. This day always make me come to tears ;(

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for starting this thread Karl. I know I'll never forget that horrible day.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
As a NYer who lives downtown and saw everything outside of my window, I still remember it like it was yesterday. I clearly remember the sounds of the buildings cracking before the fell, the smell that stayed in my apt for almost 3 mo, the sadness and the numbness.

I know that without my family right at my side, I would have really lost it that day. I thank God my immediate family members who were down there were able to escape in time. I also thank God that my daughter was only 1 1/2 yr at the time and had no idea what was going on.

I won't lie, when I see a plane flying too low, it brings me back and I still get nervous. I guess this is something I will have to live with considering what I witnessed that day.

My only wish for today is that the protesters would respect what today is and hold their protest another day. I haven't turned on the TV because I don't want to get upset (if there are protest going on).

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I remember. Every year words fail me.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even tho I didn't lose anyone that day, and I don't know anyone who did, it's something that brings me to my knees and makes me feel that in fact everyone lost a little something that day.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
My thoughts go out to all of you in the US today. Stay strong.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
There is no way we will ever forget :saint:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Karl, thank you for your post.

As far away (geographically) as I am here today and was on that fateful day, know that the people around the world were/are at one with you all, feeling the shock and pain. Like you, we will never forget and will always remember the day that changed ours and so many other lives.

I cry at the mere mention of this date.

Each Christmas in our small town when the Christmas lights are put up on the community tree there is always a strand of Christmas lights that are formed into the letters FDNY.

We will never forget, be strong and know that we will always be there with you in spirit.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
I lost 2 friends in the 9/11 attack and one of my husband’s friends lost his mother, so yes absolutely – in the words of Laurence Binyon "We will remember them”.

But I’m going to stick my neck out here and say, 9/11 wasn’t so terrible in the overall scheme of things because more American soldiers have lost their lives in the war on terror than all the people who died on 9/11. :(( (4418 vs 2,996 according to the official figures that I can find, and over 31,000 wounded in the war on terror). Of course that's not counting however many responders who have died as a result of their trauma since 9/11.

Then there is the US embassy bombings in Nairobi & Dar es Salaam, over 220 people were killed, and over 4,000 wounded.

In the London bombing of 2005, 56 people were killed and around 700 were injured

In the Madrid bombing of 2004, 191 people died and 2,051 people were injured

In the Bali bombing of 2002, 202 people died, a further 240 people were injured

And these are places that have faced bombings time and time again over the last 20-30 years with the IRA, ETA, JII etc, so the figures quoted above are just the last attacks suffered.

There is also the Bosnia war in ‘92-95 where over 100,000 people died. (here’s a picture of the Sarajevo parliament building burning – look familiar?)

What about the Rwandan hutu/tutsi attacks of 1994 where over 800,000 people died.

Or the 1.7million Cambodians who died in the killing field in the 1970’s

The list goes on....... (don’t get me started on the Korean War, the Vietnam War, World War II....)

The reason 9/11 was so shocking is because it’s the first time the USA has been attacked by foreigners on its mainland soil. And up until 9/11 America had always seemed invulnerable (except for Pearl Harbour). They had tutted and commiserated when killings were going on in other parts of the world, even sent soldiers over to help, but the folks back “home” carried on with life as normal.

Suddenly 9/11 showed Americans they were not invulnerable. It was like Pearl Harbour all over again but just a little closer to home.

It was a shock!

Suddenly Americans realised they were just as vulnerable as the rest of us in this global village.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

We will remember them ALL.

Sarajevo_Parliament.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MAC-W said:
I lost 2 friends in the 9/11 attack and one of my husband’s friends lost his mother, so yes absolutely – in the words of Laurence Binyon "We will remember them”.

But I’m going to stick my neck out here and say, 9/11 wasn’t so terrible in the overall scheme of things because more American soldiers have lost their lives in the war on terror than all the people who died on 9/11. :(( (4418 vs 2,996 according to the official figures that I can find, and over 31,000 wounded in the war on terror). Of course that's not counting however many responders who have died as a result of their trauma since 9/11.

Then there is the US embassy bombings in Nairobi & Dar es Salaam, over 220 people were killed, and over 4,000 wounded.

In the London bombing of 2005, 56 people were killed and around 700 were injured

And these are places that have faced bombings time and time again over the last 20-30 years with the IRA, ETA, JII etc, so the figures quoted above are just the last attacks suffered.

There is also the Bosnia war in ‘92-95 where over 100,000 people died. (here’s a picture of the Sarajevo parliament building burning – look familiar?)

What about the Rwandan hutu/tutsi attacks of 1994 where over 800,000 people died.

The list goes on....... (don’t get me started on the Korean War, the Vietnam War, World War II....)

The reason 9/11 was so shocking is because it’s the first time the USA has been attacked by foreigners on its mainland soil. And up until 9/11 America had always seemed invulnerable (except for Pearl Harbour). They had tutted and commiserated when killings were going on in other parts of the world, even sent soldiers over to help, but the folks back “home” carried on with life as normal.

Suddenly 9/11 showed Americans they were not invulnerable. It was like Pearl Harbour all over again but just a little closer to home.

It was a shock!

Suddenly Americans realised they were just as vulnerable as the rest of us in this global village.

We will remember them.

MAC-AW, I don't feel your post is appropriate. It comes dangerously close to a political discussion, which isn't allowed on PS. I guess I'll get called a net nanny, but to be honest, right now I really don't give a crap. And I find some of your sentiments not germane to the topic of this thread. This thread was intended to remember a specific day in our country's history, not infer that the US finally got what was coming to it. If you want to go down this road, start your own thread. I guess you can say what you want, but I also have the right to let you know I feel this is not the time or place for your comments.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug 17, I agree. ::)

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17 said:
MAC-W said:

It was a shock!

We will remember them.

MAC-AW, I don't feel your post is appropriate. It comes dangerously close to a political discussion, which isn't allowed on PS. I guess I'll get called a net nanny, but to be honest, right now I really don't give a crap. And I find some of your sentiments not germane to the topic of this thread. This thread was intended to remember a specific day in our country's history, not infer that the US finally got what was coming to it. If you want to go down this road, start your own thread. I guess you can say what you want, but I also have the right to let you know I feel this is not the time or place for your comments.

No politics have been mentioned in MAC-W's post, 9/11 is an terrible event which changed the world and will be commemorated in various ways around the world.
I commemorate it by trying to understand what and why - the preceding and proceding events in addition to the terrible tragedy that occurred on 9/11.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
I've got goosebumps. Excellent memorial, Karl. Thank you!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the tribute Karl. We will never forget....

Bless and comfort the families affected by the September 11th attacks.
Keep them safe and hold them in your loving arms.
Let them know that we are thinking of them this day.

Lord, I ask your protection for those fighting terrorism all over the world.
Guard them and protect them and keep them safe.

Lord please bless America and keep her safe.

In God's name,

Amen

lulu

Ideal_Rock
MAC-W said:But I’m going to stick my neck out here and say, 9/11 wasn’t so terrible in the overall scheme of things because more American soldiers have lost their lives in the war on terror than all the people who died on 9/11. :(( (4418 vs 2,996 according to the official figures that I can find, and over 31,000 wounded in the war on terror). Of course that's not counting however many responders who have died as a result of their trauma since 9/11.

It was a shock!

I didn't realize that this was a competition for worst disaster.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
junebug, nowhere in MAC-W's post is it inferred that "the US finally got what was coming to it"...

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
klewis said:
junebug17 said:

No politics have been mentioned in MAC-W's post, 9/11 is an terrible event which changed the world and will be commemorated in various ways around the world.
I commemorate it by trying to understand what and why - the preceding and proceding events in addition to the terrible tragedy that occurred on 9/11.

Junebug and anyone else,
My comments were not intended as a political discussion and I certainly wasn’t trying to infer the US “got what was coming to it”. Nobody deserves to be attacked like that.

As I said in my post “I lost 2 friends in the 9/11 attack and one of my husband’s friends lost his mother” so yes I view the 11th of September 2001 as a tragic day, as do most people I’m sure.

But when remembering 9/11, you should also say a prayer for all the Americans who have lost a parent, child, sister, brother, nephew, niece in fighting terrorism since 9/11.

And then say another prayer for all the other parents, children and siblings around the world who have lost loved ones due to terrorism.

And an another prayer for all the thousands of responders who have ill health now because of the toxic air they breathed in at ground zero while they were doing their jobs and their duty.

9/11 was a tragic day, but its just one of many tragic days the world has seen unfortunately.

Klewis,
thank you, I'm glad someone understands that to look at 9/11 without looking at preceeding and proceding events is to miss the point of how it happened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Title of this thread: Never Forget Sept . 11th...

If you want to bring up other topics do so in another thread.... I can't believe this thread has turned into a place for anything but paying homage to those that died on this day...

And to those of us who grieve... I know we don't corner that market. But I would hope people here would understand the profound loss that we feel....

You didn't have to lose someone to feel a loss.. Your world changed that day... It was something that touched everyone, everywhere... ::)

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Mac-W, of course you meant it to be political,unless you're suggesting that 9/11 can only be remembered and mourned at the expense of minimizing all the other disasters that have occurred in the world. I'm opposed to the war too, but I still found your statements offensive.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anchor31 said:
junebug, nowhere in MAC-W's post is it inferred that "the US finally got what was coming to it"...

Yes, you're right...my comment was based on an over-reaction to MAC-W's statement "suddenly Americans realized they were just as vulnerable as the rest of us in this global village." I admit that I initially took that statement to mean that Americans had to experience an act of terrorism to shock us out of our blissful ignorance of the horrors occurring in other parts of the world. I apologize for the comment, but stand by the rest of my original post.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh said:
Title of this thread: Never Forget Sept . 11th...

If you want to bring up other topics do so in another thread.... I can't believe this thread has turned into a place for anything but paying homage to those that died on this day...

And to those of us who grieve... I know we don't corner that market. But I would hope people here would understand the profound loss that we feel....

You didn't have to lose someone to feel a loss.. Your world changed that day... It was something that touched everyone, everywhere... ::)

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Karl for the pictures, I am praying for the families that lost loved ones that day. It is a day that I know I will never forget. And to others posting their political agendas in this kind of thread, shame on you :nono:.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, but it really doesn't seem appropriate to come to a memorial thread and say "9/11 wasn't so terrible in the overall scheme of things..."

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this wonderful thread.

I didn't know anyone who died in those attacks but think of them often. The rescue workers and regular people risked and gave their lives that day to save others. They are truly heros and must never be forgotten.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results