shape
carat
color
clarity

Never dreamed of buying a Diamond on Internet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

str8fan

Rough_Rock
How can you be so sure your getting what you paid for? But then again, I can't really be sure at a local jeweller either. However, just taking their word for it & hoping for the best is soooo scary!

Please, feedback on Internet diamond buying vs. Local jeweller?
twirl.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Most of the vendors here will send the diamond to an independent appraiser before you decide whether or not to buy the stone. We did this and then bought the diamond.

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
Not to mention that every testimonial on here is good for said vendors and if there are any problems they always resolve them.

str8fan

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/18/2004 3:29:54 PM Patty wrote:

Most of the vendors here will send the diamond to an independent appraiser before you decide whether or not to buy the stone. We did this and then bought the diamond.----------------

Patty, which vendor did you use? Give me your opinion...please.

str8fan

Rough_Rock
Where do I start? Cut, Clarity, etc...So overwhelming for the layperson.

I want a Princess Cut 1 to 1.5 ct. Looking to spend bet/4500 to 5500. Can I get a nice quality diamond for this price.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princess cut stones are tricky...they are not as straightforward as round brilliants can be.

That said, there are some online vendors that supposedly have some great princess stones. For a fancy cut princess purchase, I would be sure to get the Sarin information (crown height especially) and also an IdealScope image of the stone, which gauges light return...especially important in a fancy cut stone where numbers are not the whole story.

Read up on www.gemappraisers.com on fancy cuts and try to find a stone that is 1a-2a AGA or similar cut grade by numbers, then use the IdealScope image to help narrow it down.

My two cents on online vs off? Well we bought our engagement ring diamond offline, but I just bought my fiance's diamond for his ring online. Knowing what I know now about the purchase process, MORE information is better in terms of making an educated decision, and I find that online is the only way to go for me in terms of getting information overload. I don't think I will be making another significant diamond purchase offline.
2.gif

Here is a list of vendors online that carry well-cut princesses...a few of the people on here have bought princesses from these vendors, and may be able to give more information on their experience once you narrow it down.

www.superbcert.com carries their SC princess stones, also has reports, Bscope and IS images

www.dbof.com has their own princess cut as well, have heard good things about it, they also do Bscope and I believe have IS images

www.whiteflash.com has an expert selection which is handpicked with IS images

www.goodoldgold.com has handpicked princesses with Bsocpe and IS images as well

www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com has their own signature princess stones which look intriguing as well

I would check out all of the above, and compare their stones to what you are looking for in your price level and just be sure to get Sarin information & a scope image at the least. Pictures of the actual stone, blowup of the inclusions, etc are all nice to have as well.
1.gif

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Your question is very much understood.
have them send the stone to a reputable 3rd party appraiser /laboratory .so that they can verify that it is the stone you have paid for,and then have that appraiser/laboratory send it to you directly.
Most internet sites have a money back guarantee,so that even if you get the stone and you don't like it , you can return/exchange and get your money back.
Check out each site's return policy conditions,and ask questions .until you feel comfortable.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Most of the Price Scope Vendors have a 7 or 10 day inspection period. Doesn't sound like much time, but it really is, if you plan appropriately.

You can have the diamond shipped directly to an independent approved appraiser for evaluation. Once you approve of the results, the appraiser can then ship the loose diamond to you. Generally, the Inspection Period begins when you physically take possesion of the diamond. Then you have 7 to 10 days to examine the diamond at your leisure. You must notify the Vendor by a predetermined time, like 3:00pm, on the 7th or 10th day, in writing (email), if you intend not to keep the diamond.

If you plan to have the diamond shipped direct to you, schedule an appointment with a local appraiser in advance to evaluate the diamond within a day or 2 of the date you receive the diamond. Patty arranged to have her diamond shipped to an appraiser she could visit in person without paying in advance. She saw the diamond before she ever paid for it.

I have not yet seen a Vendor that did not stand good for a refund. The rare instances I've seen posted in the Forum in the last year where the diamond was returned to the Vendor, every buyer received a full refund within a reasonable period of time.

Buying on-line, you get tons of information up front to make an informed decision. Buying in a Maul store and lots of B&M's, you get next to nothing in the way of info, if the info you get is even accurate. If you decide to preview an on-line diamond and then decide not to keep it, the only non-refundable costs you will incur will be return shipping charges. That costs about $20 or so.
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Samantha, my diamond came from SuperbCert but like PQ says, I think most of the vendors here will send the stone to an independent appraiser for you. I'm not sure if all of them will do this before you buy the stone, though. But as long as they have a good return policy, and I think that the ones that Mara listed here all have a good policy, you should be fine. Just be sure to read all the details about the return policy before you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results