shape
carat
color
clarity

Never deal with desdemona1013 on eBay! (Review)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am enraged.

I found a very pretty ring I was prepared to purchase on eBay yesterday. The pictures were not what I was looking for so I asked the vendor to provide me with a few better pictures.

This was the best face on photo they had. As I was hoping for a direct one, shot then an email and nicely asked. Their response was this was the best they could do.

Well I was going over the listing and it had 14 day return period yet IN the listing had ONLY a 7 day return and ONLY if it was misrepresented.

So that concerned me. I thought I saw a few inclusions, though it was represented as a VS1-2 (graded by an in house appraise) and so I asked them if they could clarity their return policy as it was posted differently in different parts of the thread. I also asked if it was eye clean. This was what I got in response. Seems snaky and didn't really answer why it STILL had two different return policies in two different areas

I believe I explained this....I accept returns only if I have grossly misrepresented something about my item......

I do not accept returns for "buyer's remorse"--this is clearly stated in the last paragraph of each and every one of my descriptions. There is nothing misrepresented about this ring--it has been evaluated by a reputable jeweler, whose evaluation I will stand behind. My jeweler has graded this stone as VS clarity, which would obviously be indicative of no carbon inclusions at six inches away, or even visible with a loupe. I am not an inexperienced seller, nor would I misrepresent color, clarity or carat weight.

So along my way I went. Ready to bid when the time came. Well I went to and they would not let me!! I was blocked from it!

So I asked her what gives and you know what I got in return?

My return policy seemed to be not what you wanted, a d I was unable to rise to the quality of photos you needed. Thanks for your interest.

So if you ask any questions you can get the ring? Great business practice! From the pictures I don't even think it is eye clean. But the setting was pretty and I was willing to trade out the stone for a red one. But I'm so discs appointed in this place and I hope nobody buys anything from this unprofessional person. And frankly looks shady when a person questions you and you won't sell to them. What, afraid it won't live up to what you said in your eBay messages???

uploadfromtaptalk1378776562366.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I am SO sorry this has happened as I know how much you liked it. Blocking you is rude. They obviously don't want the ring back again and don't stand by their return policy and figure that you might get it potentially call them out on clarity and have an issue with you. Vendors like this love buyers that just buy items blissfully unaware and don't question who exactly graded their items.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rude yeah. Block me like we're 12 and I'm dating your ex boyfriend!!

But what bothers me is that my questions were not rude or intrusive. And I HAVE seen VS2s with carbon inclusions. Literally all I asked was

You list on this site that you both accept returns and do not accept returns. Which is accurate?

Also, would you consider this stone eye clean at 6 inches away. Does it have any dark carbon inclusions?

And that's not even questioning if their grading was accurate! I just didnt want her to have carbon inclusions!!!

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing this, Niel. This seller sometimes lists pretty vintage pieces, but they won't be getting any business from me :/ I hope you will find a better one.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Sellers on ebay are running scared. 15,000 sellers were just purged and according to the grapevine, there will be more next month. She was probably afraid that you might be difficult to please and that you would issue a snad and ding her dsr's. Unfortunately, it is the cloud under which many sellers are dealing with on ebay.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I had my eye on a few things from this seller. I thought I recognized the hand in the pics from another place. Initially thought maybe stolen pics, then I realized where. If you are avoiding this seller, be advised that they are on DB as well. Just sayin...

"bellamama"

http://diamondbistro.com/other/4493/seller.html

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel
I know you are disappointed but I think the seller did you a favor in the long run. They are probably not used to sophisticated diamond buyers like you and figured you would return the ring, so as to not have you return the ring, they blocked you from bidding. It probably speaks to the quality of the product.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1378813564|3517801 said:
Niel
I know you are disappointed but I think the seller did you a favor in the long run. They are probably not used to sophisticated diamond buyers like you and figured you would return the ring, so as to not have you return the ring, they blocked you from bidding. It probably speaks to the quality of the product.

. I think there must have been something wrong with it. They must have known I wasn't a lemming and would be able to see the ring wasn't as they represented it. No wonder they have such a high eBay rating; only sell to naive buyers who don't know what they are doing......

! :angryfire: :angryfire:

I'll find something better. And I can only assume that diamond was a throw away. I just really loved that setting and my FBIL was so excited about it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think she probably saved you a lot of heartache and trouble. I understand how troubling her tone was but clearly it was not all that she stated it to be. If you are confident of the merchandise you are selling, you will bend over backward to accommodate a customer.

On to bigger and better!!

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
Niel,
I know you liked the ring, but I think you were given a gift. Without parting with any money, you learned what the seller was really like. Would you rather be out the money and be fighting to get it back with a back and forth about whether or not the ring was misrepresented? I think not. This is a good thing.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This was a train wreck waiting to happen. Your expectations were clearly different from hers. She counts the word of her ‘reputable jeweler’ as having answered the question and you don’t. That doesn’t make her guy wrong but I certainly I agree that it’s unwise for you to rely on the opinion of an unknown stranger. Her requirement that you do exactly that is grounds to refuse to buy. That’s why YOU should have ducked it. She’s running a business and she’s looking for someone who isn’t picky about these things. They’re out there, but you’re not her customer. I agree with the above, she did you a favor. This would not have ended well for either one of you.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, come on, people. I am not that seller. But I just want to say that all the wise and experienced sellers will block anyone that they think may be a problem. And the definition of "problem" is the seller's, not yours. Just go read through the Seller Central forum at ebay about the problems that decent sellers have with bad buyers. Block any potential problem buyer is the standard advice. There are sellers that have been burned because they opted in on ebay's Managed Returns policy, and ebay/PayPal have let the buyer keep the item plus get a full refund! Buyers can be the biggest crooks on the face of Earth, and there is no warning for sellers because ebay only allows Positive Feedback for buyers! Try to post a neg as a posi, and ebay will delete it!

So, block any and all potential problem bidders is the standard policy of all experienced sellers. All. I repeat, All. There may have been something in the wording of your inquiry, Neil, that the seller didn't like. Or, as all of us sellers know, he or she didn't need to cater to you because hold onto something long enough and eventually you get the exact right buyer who wants that very thing, and at the listed price, no questions asked.

Just give it up and move on. If someone doesn't like you, that's their prerogative. Always remember that the seller has something you want, and thus has the power. I have blocked buyers, and it's always been women, because they came riding in on a highhorse and tried to tell me how they thought I should do things, or "the customer is always right," or they asked some rude/invasive question that was none of their business and didn't like it when I told them so. Blocking potential problem buyers before they can do a deal with you is really the only protection that a seller has now.

eta: I just listed an item 2 days ago. ebay minimum return time is 14 days. ebay policy supercedes anything that seller may say about 7 days. She can say 7 days, but she can't enforce that.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all know it didn't turn out well for Desdemona in "Othello" either! :cheeky:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but like others said, it was probably for the best. Neither one of you would have been happy from this transaction.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
TC1987|1378821383|3517851 said:
Oh, come on, people. I am not that seller. But I just want to say that all the wise and experienced sellers will block anyone that they think may be a problem. And the definition of "problem" is the seller's, not yours. Just go read through the Seller Central forum at ebay about the problems that decent sellers have with bad buyers. Block any potential problem buyer is the standard advice. There are sellers that have been burned because they opted in on ebay's Managed Returns policy, and ebay/PayPal have let the buyer keep the item plus get a full refund! Buyers can be the biggest crooks on the face of Earth, and there is no warning for sellers because ebay only allows Positive Feedback for buyers! Try to post a neg as a posi, and ebay will delete it!

So, block any and all potential problem bidders is the standard policy of all experienced sellers. All. I repeat, All. There may have been something in the wording of your inquiry, Neil, that the seller didn't like. Or, as all of us sellers know, he or she didn't need to cater to you because hold onto something long enough and eventually you get the exact right buyer who wants that very thing, and at the listed price, no questions asked.

Just give it up and move on. If someone doesn't like you, that's their prerogative. Always remember that the seller has something you want, and thus has the power. I have blocked buyers, and it's always been women, because they came riding in on a highhorse and tried to tell me how they thought I should do things, or "the customer is always right," or they asked some rude/invasive question that was none of their business and didn't like it when I told them so. Blocking potential problem buyers before they can do a deal with you is really the only protection that a seller has now.

eta: I just listed an item 2 days ago. ebay minimum return time is 14 days. ebay policy supercedes anything that seller may say about 7 days. She can say 7 days, but she can't enforce that.

+1 and I made a similar statment. It is not personal. And you really cannot judge that ebayer's integrity or quality of merchandise based on it. Yes, there are bad sellers on ebay. And also bad buyers. And unfortunately the good guys get lumped in with them. With the constant threat of ebay restricting a seller's ability, some are pushing the "block" button when any question is asked. As TC said, read the sellers board to get an idea of the climate over there. It is why I stopped selling.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not imagine asking a b&m store if their stone was eye clean and getting asked to leave. That's essentially what this person did.

But I still want anyone who was considering buying from them that they specifically denied me service because I asked simple questions about their products quality. I wouldn't want to but from a place like that.

But yes I'm glad I didn't end up buying. I would have paid more for that ring then the winning bid wasand I'm glad I didn't give them that money

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I had a very similar experience with this seller about pictures of something and unclear return periods a couple of years ago with much the same response that you got. Apparently I also have unreasonable expectations.(This was before the new buyer protection policy, so the recent policies don't seem to be the cause...)

FWIW, and I don't know exactly how this works, is that according to Ebay's sellers policies, if you want to retain top seller status you MUST accept an unconditional return within 14 days otherwise you lose your status (and the *very* few perks that go with that like discounted shipping). I only know this from reading through he policy as I am also a seller on eBay so I suppose (but have no proof) you could contest something like that. This may account for some of the eBay purges going on. They've had a year to comply with the policies now.

I'd look elsewhere though and not deal with this one at all, personally.

TC, as seller on ebay also, I understand where you are coming from, and I have certainly had my share of truly awful buyers, repeat non-payers and so forth and yes I do block them. Unfortunately, in what I do, it tends to be an "after the fact" but it certainly is a sellers prerogative to not want to deal with questions at all. Answering them at least somewhat diplomatically is something I look for though....

senorpacifico

Rough_Rock
Ebay can be tricky.
When I look at purchasing, it would be the wording that the description would say.
You would have the right to ask and if they "block" you, its there loss.

What bothered me is they responded about their "trusted jeweler" graded the diamond.
A jeweler does not "grade" a diamond. A certified diamond laboratory would "grade" a diamond.
From my understanding, jewelers would "categorize" a diamonds specifications base on their experience.
Now if there was a certified lab report, you would go off the information of this document.

Second, it would be good to know the jewelers background, if they have formal training by any reputable
allegiances , laboratories, seminars or their training to decide what is a "D" and what is a "K" color.

Just like when a jeweler says this is a "graded excellent cut" GIA laboratory certified cushion cut diamond.
Excellent cut would be more of a "category" and not "grade" as GIA would not supply a "cut" for fancy cut diamonds.

Just my two sense.

Thank you,

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Neil I agree with the other posters she did you a favor.

I have sold a lot of stuff over the last year (+/-) on DB and LT. I have deleted dozens of emails from potentatial buyers because I thought it would be more aggreviation for me then it was worth. For example if someone wants my personal information to complete a transaction (ie whatever is not on paypal) then that is a no go for me. You don't need my home address etc. If you want me to ship international that is usually a no-go as well unless I "know" you from PS. I think it is important that both the buyer and seller feel comfortable with the transaction before you go through with it. Just be glad you don't have to deal with it now and while it stinks you now have more budget for something better out there on ebay!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1378837033|3518024 said:
I had a very similar experience with this seller about pictures of something and unclear return periods a couple of years ago with much the same response that you got. Apparently I also have unreasonable expectations.(This was before the new buyer protection policy, so the recent policies don't seem to be the cause...)

FWIW, and I don't know exactly how this works, is that according to Ebay's sellers policies, if you want to retain top seller status you MUST accept an unconditional return within 14 days otherwise you lose your status (and the *very* few perks that go with that like discounted shipping). I only know this from reading through he policy as I am also a seller on eBay so I suppose (but have no proof) you could contest something like that. This may account for some of the eBay purges going on. They've had a year to comply with the policies now.

I'd look elsewhere though and not deal with this one at all, personally.

TC, as seller on ebay also, I understand where you are coming from, and I have certainly had my share of truly awful buyers, repeat non-payers and so forth and yes I do block them. Unfortunately, in what I do, it tends to be an "after the fact" but it certainly is a sellers prerogative to not want to deal with questions at all. Answering them at least somewhat diplomatically is something I look for though....

see they seemed to take the most offense to me asking about the return period. Which ad you can see o. This thresx, says teocthings in different places .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18K-WHITE-GOLD-ART-DECO-55-CT-EUROPEAN-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-ENGAGEMENT-RING-/190899367310

Also you can notice the pic taken the exact same day. Slightly off center as to hid any obstruction or clear facet views. :blackeye:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1378838810|3518043 said:
Neil I agree with the other posters she did you a favor.

I have sold a lot of stuff over the last year (+/-) on DB and LT. I have deleted dozens of emails from potentatial buyers because I thought it would be more aggreviation for me then it was worth. For example if someone wants my personal information to complete a transaction (ie whatever is not on paypal) then that is a no go for me. You don't need my home address etc. If you want me to ship international that is usually a no-go as well unless I "know" you from PS. I think it is important that both the buyer and seller feel comfortable with the transaction before you go through with it. Just be glad you don't have to deal with it now and while it stinks you now have more budget for something better out there on ebay!

See my question were far from invasive or rude though.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Well so much for this statement from the auction:

"I welcome any questions you have on the item before bidding. I will answer your questions honestly and quickly, so that you may be confident bidding on the item." LOL!

I agree that you now don't have the hassle. I saw an OEC band recently and happened to see it posted about on this forum. Someone wanted to know if it looked good and might be a good purchase. Thanks to that thread, I passed on it as well because it was pointed out how there were no face on photos and it didn't even look like OECs from the angles that were presented.

This seems to have worked out for the good after all...

snowmom

Rough_Rock
Neil Just an FYI I had a very similar experience with the seller ie4u, which I think has one of the other rings you are considering. :nono: Good Luck

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
snowmom|1378840134|3518055 said:
Neil Just an FYI I had a very similar experience with the seller ie4u, which I think has one of the other rings you are considering. :nono: Good Luck
Thanks!! That ones out.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
snowmom|1378840134|3518055 said:

That's too bad. I bought an eternity band from them last month and had a great experience. Weird. :confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results