shape
carat
color
clarity

Never Bought a Diamond.....Need Advice (Updated)

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone that provided help in my previous post ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/never-bought-a-diamond-need-advice.163292/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/never-bought-a-diamond-need-advice.163292/[/URL]). I have NOT gone with the 1.59 EGL cert diamond. I want to follow the advice given and look for a GIA diamond. I understand that this required me to look for different requirements.

My updated parameters: $6,000 Budget for both diamond and setting.

Diamond: GIA certified, .9-1.2 ct., H-I color, and at least SI1 clarity. I want the biggest diamond i can get, but still have the GIA cert and the WOW factor for clarity and color that will make her smile whenever shes sees it.

Setting: I really like the channel setting and i want the metal to be platinum.

This is where i am at currently, would love to hear your thoughts:

Diamonds:

#1 - 0.93 carats
H color
SI2 clarity
$4515
http://www.uniondiamond.com/AE0024380

#2 - 1.02 carats
J color
SI2 clarity
$4931
http://www.uniondiamond.com/AE0073948

#3 - .90 carats
I color
VS2 clarity
$4480
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1383668.asp

Setting:
#1 - http://www.uniondiamond.com/JEN10079P
#2 - http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channelset-rings/ring/item_58-2800.asp

I think i like the Union Diamond Setting better (just wish there were more diamonds down the side).

Now these ARE smaller than I would like (would like to push the 1.2 ct range), but i am not sure i can unless i change the setting.

What do you guys think? Any advice about uniondiamond.com? other advice?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call and check to make sure all your diamonds are eyeclean. You might find that you can eliminate some of these just on eyeclean checks alone. Then post the selections that are eyeclean. We'll help you narrow it down.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto, check for eye-clean. UD and JA can get you idealscope image if you ask.

Also, the J from UD has medium yellow fluor, that is rare but it will bring down the perceived color in the presence of UV light source. Depends on what you want.

The JA stone, numbers are iffy, might have obstruction issue, definitely ask for idealscope image before going forward.

Not enough info on the WF virtual stone. I would skip that as calling it in might incur additional expenses.

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
Diamond #1 - "60% depth 60 table with Excellent Cut, Excellent Polish, Very Good Symmetry, no fluorescence and measures 6.35 x 6.39 x 3.82 mm." I do have the GIA report for this diamond, but having trouble attaching it.

Diamond #2 - "The diamond features a 61.7 depth 57 table with Excellent Polish, Very Good Symmetry, and an Excellent Cut grade and measures 6.47 x 6.49 x 4.00 mm. 1.9 on the HCA. The “J” color looks great, the stone is white, and the SI2 looks clean to the naked eye. Under 10 x magnification, just a few tiny dark and light inclusions scattered in the stone. The fluorescence does not have any impact on the brilliance. It’s an absolutely gorgeous stone." GIA report 1.02_J_SI2_GIA.jpg

Diamond #3 - "Yes, it is eye clean with the GIA score of VS2 for clarity. and it has an HCA score of 0.6"

Diamond #4 - I left a message with Whiteflash.

I am also re-considering the setting choice. I think i actually prefer the JA or WF setting better.

Are the diamonds similar enough, that I should decide on which setting to decide the diamond?
How do I pick a diamond when a website like Whiteflash shows "alternative diamonds" but they all seem the same except for price?

I dont know i think it depends on the day. Ring shopping is making me insane!!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamond #3 wait for the idealscope image.

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
The emails i got back from JA and Union Diamond came back both stating that they can only give me an idealscope when I commit to that diamond.

I currently have an email about the Whiteflash diamond.

I think i am leaning torwards the whiteflash diamond based on that i like the setting and the diamond seems good (but i guess i really dont know).

Also, the Union Diamond rep told me that the cost of diamonds (maybe just theirs) is suppose to go up tomorrow. Anyone know if this is true, or are they just trying to push me to make a decision?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If that is true, I suggest you call WF immediately. Else their price might rise too by the time they get back to you.

WF will probably require you to commit first. They will call it in but if it pass their test but you do not buy it, they will charge you a fee.

xWildBillx

Rough_Rock
boilerfan1509|1311274772|2973935 said:
The emails i got back from JA and Union Diamond came back both stating that they can only give me an idealscope when I commit to that diamond.

Are you sure that JA meant "commit". I just purchased a diamond from them, (ships tomorrow!) and they will place up to 3 diamonds on hold and get you images of the diamonds you pick out. As far as I know, you are not committed to any of these diamonds if you do not like them, I have a feeling you miss-understood them. Just wanted to let you know so you don't rule them out as a possible vendor.

Good luck!
Bill

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
Oopps. You are correct. That is what JA told me (3 choices and they get the images), but they also said it could take 3 days to get the images.

I am not sure i have the time to wait for them.

Also, bad news is that whiteflash just notified that Diamond #4 is no longer available.

these are the ones i was looking at: /user. Which of these 4 would you recommend?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
#3 seems best to be. The inclusions on #2, though described as eye clean, would worry me for an e-ring. Would be good to see the GIA for #1.

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
I think this is what i am going to get from union diamond. What you think?

Your Diamond Item#:AE0151204
GIA Rep:2116831981
Carat Weight:0.90 carat
MM:6.19X6.15X3.9
ColorI
Clarity:SI1
Cut:Select Ideal™
Depth:62.4%
Table:55%
Girdle:MED to STK
Culet:None
Polish:EX
Symmetry:EX
Fluorescence:None

Your Setting
Contoured Diamond Engagement Ring Setting.

Contoured Diamond Engagement Ring Setting.

Item Number: JEN10079P
Metal Type: Platinum
Band Width: 2.5 - 1.75

Side Stone Information:

Number of Diamonds: 10
Carat Weight: 1/8
Diamond Color: Near Colorless
Diamond Clarity: VS
Setting Type: Bead Set

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It looks good to me...there are other true experts that I'll let chime in. I would call and confirm it's eye clean before purchasing.

Liam-Spillane

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't go for # 3. The light return in all categorys should be top notch, but the patter is off due to the low pavilion angle. Not a bad stone, but keep looking. There is a reason neither GIA or AGS would give that stone and excellent or ideal. The face up pattern will be off when looking at it face up.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Liam-Spillane|1311292982|2974164 said:
I wouldn't go for # 3. The light return in all categorys should be top notch, but the patter is off due to the low pavilion angle. Not a bad stone, but keep looking. There is a reason neither GIA or AGS would give that stone and excellent or ideal. The face up pattern will be off when looking at it face up.

What are you talking about? What patterning are you talking about? AGS/GIA do not grade patterning, only sym. The stone looks that way because it is tilted when the image is taken.

GIA gives it a VG in cut, AGS did not grade it, maybe it could get an AGS0 in cut with the Performance Based Grading system,

Liam-Spillane

Rough_Rock
They don't grade face up patterns, but they have determined through research, what angles work together and what don't Thats what I'm talking about.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Liam-Spillane|1311293955|2974170 said:
They don't grade face up patterns, but they have determined through research, what angles work together and what don't Thats what I'm talking about.

That is preference. HCA prefer lower pavilion angle. AGS allows for lower pavilion angles in the Performance Based grading system.

If you say GIA has their angles working together, that what about the leakage present in their Ex grade? GIA prefer steeper pavilion angle.

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/laboratory_cut_grades_what_report_doesn’t_show

Liam-Spillane

Rough_Rock
You all have valid points. I just seem to find pavilion angles out side of 40.6 and 41.3 usually make weird patterns face up. (b/c of GIA rounding I usually look for a 40.8-41.)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no weird pattern for this stone yet, the weird patterning is the arrow head turning into spade right? Those are obstruction issue we talk about here. Idealscope image will be more conclusive. The numbers could just be bad luck in the rounding, for example the average pavilion angle maybe just a little under 40.5 PA.

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
This is the diamond that I bought ($4800), let me know what you think.

0.93 F SI2
From Jewler, "Gorgeous stone, icy white F color, clean to the naked eye, lots of brilliance and sparkle. Under 10 x mostly white inclusions, very tiny dark inclusion off to the side, good looking SI2, fluorescence has no negative impact on the stone."
HCA: 1.4

"This is a gorgeous diamond, I am very excited about it… its so full of fire and sparkle, icy white and eye clean!! You’re going to love it!! ;-)"

"Here is the IS image, taken with a handheld IS and a digital camera so apologize for the quality since it’s hard to keep your hand steady and hold the camera to take a pic but it give you an idea."

IS Image
image003_1.jpg

GIA Cert
GIA%20report.jpg

I dont know what I am looking at....is this good or bad.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Did the jeweler say it was eye clean?

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
yes.....they said it was eye clean

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post the GIA report number. The report you uploaded is too small to be useful.

Image looks like there is some slight obstruction issue, maybe the stone is placed too deep into the scope. Taking an idealscope image with a digital camera is so easy, the jeweler is just lazy.

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
There is a glare on the report #.

It is close to #1{216}95553.....where the {216} could be a 748 or something else.

Is there a way I can verify online?

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
Just got an email back.

GIA report # 2121695553

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
i did not..... not even sure i followed the question. But i will definately ask.

I just wanted to make sure I wasnt paying alomst $5k for something that was a joke and worth only like $3k.

Liam-Spillane

Rough_Rock
That grade making feather is pretty large and close to the girdle. I'm not an expert on this, but should he be concerned of this durability wise?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results