shape
carat
color
clarity

Netbook vs. Laptop?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Pros and cons?

My dinosaur of a laptop (IBM Thinkpad) has finally sputtered its last. I need to get a replacement, and quickly! I only use a computer for internet :errrr: , some word processing, and would like to have built in camera to skype my daughter at school. Budget is a MAJOR concern.

I'm currently looking at an ASUS netbook, as I think it would get the job done. But I don't know of anyone who uses (or had one and rejected it) one.

Can you give me your thoughts? I'd appreciate them.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of budget do you have? Netbooks aren't my things as I like to have multiple windows open and stream music. They are just not made for that. The one that I did have briefly caused eye strain too as the screen was too small (I'm nearsighted and young).

eta: Open Office is a free download and comparable with Microsoft Office. It's my go to word processing program.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
What about this Dell? I have had several Dell computers and not a single issue that wasn't user related (I tend to spill things :errrr: ). Netbooks are such simple machines that if you ever wanted to stream a movie, do photo editing, etc you might not have the capacity to do so well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Laptop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+X2+Processor+/+15.6%26%2334%3B+Display+/+4GB+Memory+-+Obsidian+Black/3629152.p?id=1218421871202&skuId=3629152

If somebody tries to sell you a quad core + processor for what you are doing, ignore them. While it won't hurt to have, it's overkill for us average users. Dual core would be good though.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Even though I mostly just surf the internet, I also like a lot of windows open and I think that requires more processing power. I would sign up for fat wallet (cash back on pretty much everything) and get something like this from HP:

http://www.fatwallet.com/HP-coupons/code-540335/

ETA-
I always get the breakage warranty from squaretrade.com (it works!). You can google for some coupons on that too...I can always find one for 20-30% off.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
I have both a netbook and a regular laptop :Up_to_something: I basically use the netbook for travel (or my husband or I will jump on it to check email really fast if the other one of us is on the laptop). The keyboard and monitor are just too small to use on a regular basis, and it doesn't have much memory. But it's perfect for travel: It's small and lightweight and I can toss it in my purse! I'm a writer and I've filed stories from it while on assignment. It's just not something I could face every day.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Re kelpie _ more windows does require more processing power but that does not equal more cores. The processing speed, ram, cache, and much more goes into a computers performance. Would the OP consider a desktop?

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I have both and would stay away from a netbook, the keyboard is just to small and awkward to use. Ipad's have pretty much taken over the market for what I use my netbook for anyways. If you're using it just for browsing online and some simple note taking then I would rather see you get an Ipad over a netbook. That said, I don't really consider an Ipad or a netbook a "real" computer. Depending on what you want to get out of this computer and use it for should define which one you purchase.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
We have a netbook which saw regular use for about, oh, six days? My husband purchased it to use for his gaming and used it once a week for about six months. He replaced it with an iPad because the netbook's keyboard and monitor were far too cramped for anything. Even surfing the web was tricky because once your browser has a toolbar, some menus and maybe a tab or two open you are left with a miniscule amount of space for the actual page.

Once I had it I used it exactly twice. Once when I was on a business trip and wanted to drag along a computer, and again when my actual laptop broke down. I also ditched it in favor of an iPad.

Now it sits there, all alone, no one loves it any more. ;( :lol:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I had an Asus netbook and it sucked. I was using it extensively to write reports while travelling and it died after about 4 months of heavy use. The fan, hardrive, and power cord all broke at once! It also wasn't capable of streaming movies in HD so they were a bit choppy. It was cheap, but not worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't get another one.

Not exactly cost effective, but worth it in the long run, is a macbook air. DH bought me the cheapest model from the apple refurbished site and its way better than the Asus. I believe it was about $700. No problems with it at all. It has the same 1 year warranty as a new one and I can bring it in to the apple store for servicing. I can even get apple care. I think mine was sold as refurbished because there was a brown stain on the box. The actual computer was spotless and still in its original plastic. Its speedy, has a good camera, streams video, and has a solid state hardrive so I don't have to worry about it breaking down. The battery life is phenomenal and I can easily get 5 hours out of it. I feel like it will last much longer than a netbook, and therefore be a better investment overall.

I had a Dell years ago for school and the power cord broke several times. I also had to have the CD drive and the motherboard replaced. The service was great, but it was in the shop a lot. I think my particular model had heating issues though so the new ones are probably better.

I also have a Sony Vaio and broke I the internal power connector on it. Otherwise it was good. It lasted about 3 years as a laptop, but now it shuts down if I move it (even after having it serviced) so its hooked up to my tv.

The power cord thing could be something I"m doing, because I seem to have a bad track record with them. I finally decided on the mac because the power connectors are much sturdier than the ones on any other laptop I've seen.

Also a warning, Asus and Sony are resold at so many different stores that they won't honor a warranty without a receipt, even if you buy direct. Dell and Apple go off of serial number so that's handy.

ETA: for those who have problems when multiple windows are open, try chrome. Firefox seems to hog resources if its left open for a long time and it was slowing down my computer big time. Chrome is slightly more glitchy, but I haven't had my laptop freeze in over 46 days and counting (since I last had to restart).

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
QueenB29|1319206580|3044767 said:
I have both a netbook and a regular laptop :Up_to_something: I basically use the netbook for travel (or my husband or I will jump on it to check email really fast if the other one of us is on the laptop). The keyboard and monitor are just too small to use on a regular basis, and it doesn't have much memory. But it's perfect for travel: It's small and lightweight and I can toss it in my purse! I'm a writer and I've filed stories from it while on assignment. It's just not something I could face every day.

This, exactly. I have an Acer, and it's fabulous for writing dates, traveling, and secondary use - but I spend enough time on a keyboard that I wouldn't want it to be my primary computer. The keyboard is, of necessity, tiny, and it can take a while for pages to load - minor headache on vacation or at the coffee-shop, big pain in the neck for researching a topic and writing 5K words.

I don't think an iPad fills the same need for word processing at all, or even for browsing - movies, games, sure, but you can't navigate beween functions easily. I vote laptop all the way, I think ....

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
I went through the same deliberation a couple years ago - I was steered away from netbooks by every tech-savvy person. If it is your primary computer, you should just get a laptop basically for the reasons everyone is saying - it is rough to have more than one window open and it is a tough switch from the size/comfort you are used to. I ended up getting an Asus laptop and it has worked pretty well - of course I got the 3 year damage warranty so after another year, I'll be dropping it off a building and getting a new one. :naughty:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I want to say that all of you have been very helpful in this process. I've really been convinced the netbook is NOT the way to go. Muchas gracias!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
For the love of mercy, never get a Dell Laptop!

After we had our 3rd Dell laptop (in a row!) lose the ability to recognize/recharge it's battery, we went googling- apparently there is an epic known problem with that very thing as Dell does not insulate the adapter that connects the power cord to the battery! :angryfire:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1319222233|3044899 said:
For the love of mercy, never get a Dell Laptop!

After we had our 3rd Dell laptop (in a row!) lose the ability to recognize/recharge it's battery, we went googling- apparently there is an epic known problem with that very thing as Dell does not insulate the adapter that connects the power cord to the battery! :angryfire:

My Dell lost its ability to recognize the power cord! So the battery was fine, but I couldn't charge it. Glad to know its not just me. I had the same thing happen with my Asus netbook so I was getting worried that I do something to cause it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I have never had a problem with my Dell laptop. It's been great!

I do have an Acer netbook for travel, but that is the only time I use it.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
I would agree with everyone else's assessment that for everyday use, a netbook is just not going to cut it. I have one, too, just HAD to have it a couple of years ago. I've used it very little. I'll admit, it's pretty handy for travel, but other than that, the keyboard is too small and the screen is, too.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't think a netbook is good enough for everyday use for the reasons stated above. Plus, most of them don't have CD/DVD drives, which is a dealbreaker for me. I think it's better to have a netbook as a secondary computer for travel, like if you already have a larger laptop or desktop at home. I got a tablet instead of a netbook for this purpose, but the good ones are about the same price, maybe even more expensive than netbooks. You could get the ASUS for a quick fix now while you're searching for a more permanent computer and then use it for travel etc.

FWIW, I'm on my second Dell laptop and don't have any significant problems with it. There's one slightly annoying problem, but that's another issue for another thread. I wouldn't say it's necessary to avoid Dell because they're quite affordable and reliable in my experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results