shape
carat
color
clarity

Nervous Now

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Helloall

Rough_Rock
I posted a topic the other day asking for comments on a ring I had bought.

The responses were not as I was hoping.

The table = 80%
Dept= 71.7

These are what the negative comments were on. Is that really bad???? My problem is I have the ring on lay-away and if those two "specs" make the ring "garbage" I want to know so I can rethink my purchase. The rest of the ring is as follows:

GIA Certified
Shape: Sqauare Modifies Brilliant (princess)
Meas: 5.84 x 5.76 x 4.13mm
Weight: 1.20 Carat
Dept: 71.7%
Table: 80%
Girdle Extrmly Thin to very thick
Culet: none
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: F
Fluorescence: None

It is in a channel setting Total Carat w/ diamond = 1.57.
Price = Approx 6,300

Should I not buy this ring because of the table and dept will I regret it in the long run?????
confused.gif

justme

Shiny_Rock
Helloall,

Not a vendor, but here is the AGA princess cut chart that may help you out.

http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt4.htm

Justme

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Helloall,

Since your ring is on hold at the jewelry store, my suggestion is that you get them to fine you another one.
They can easily find you a diamond with all of the good spects plus a smaller table, about 75% or less and one without an extremely thin girdle. Try for a thin to medium or medium to thick. Extremely thin or thick is just that...extreme. Tell them you would also like a sarin report on your diamond so you can get the crown height.
Do not let them bully you into taking that ring you have on hold.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
I don't think that it is as bad as you think it is!,Yes, it is on the spready side I admit ,but alot of my customers like that because it gives it a bigger look,you probably have seen some others before you decided on this one? Oherwise you just have to shop a little more and compare!
it really all comes down to what you like and what you think is the nicest of all

good luck

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with DimonBob....have them find another one, one with more desirable numbers. Then compare the two with your eyes. You may still go for the larger spread stone.

The girdle is a little off, as well as the other two elements you mention. Extremely thin to very thick means that at points around the stone, the diamond girdle (or a bit of an edge) is paper thin, and at other points around the stone its very fat. You ideally want a girdle that is more along the lines of 'thin to slightly thick' or'medium' or 'medium to slighty thick' or similar. Anything with such a large range of extremely thin to extremely thick will be somewhat mis-proportioned anyway.

If you really love this stone and the way it looks, compare it to a few others that many would consider more desirable. Then if you still love it, you know the good and bad, but make a conscious decision to choose it anyway. You'll feel more confident about it in the end that way.

Don't be intimidated just because it is on hold so you have already made some sort of committment. There are tons of stones out there, don't be rushed into purchasing until you are ready and feel confident.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results