shape
carat
color
clarity

Nervous buying online

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zman

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody. This is a great forum for people ranging from newbs to diamond experts.
I was pointed this way by Whiteflash with whom I''ve been in discussions with for a while now.

I found a beautiful setting on their website, and now I am going through the patience-testing process of selecting a diamond. Everything is going pretty good so far as I''ve taken a few lessons on diamond selection and I also know what my girlfriend wants. However I am experiencing some anxiety making such an important purchase online without ever seeing the final product before I purchase it. To make things even more testing I currently live in the UK, so the ring would have to be sent by mail overseas.

Anyone have any advice on breaking my aversion towards the process? Any safe-guards I should consider before buying? Should I get an independant appraisal done here in the UK? Can an appraisal be done within the 10 days I have to return the ring?? Am I really paying 20% duty on importing an engagement ring into the UK??? ARGH! Where''s my blood pressure medication?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have bought from Whiteflash three times now and I live in the UK. Yes you do have to pay 20% if you import a ring, if its a loose diamond you pay 17.5%.

You can get your ring appraised in the UK if you can find someone to do it in that time. Have a look at this website:

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/safeguard/

I have 100% trust in Whiteflash. They are without a doubt a great company to work with.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because you are working with a reputable (key word there) online company, of which I have also personally purchased from, I can tell you it should be fine. I was also very apprehensive at first, but I bought from another trusted vendor, and all went well. The second time around (with WF) it was a piece of cake.
9.gif
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I was also wary of purchasing sight unseen until I did it. When that ring box was opened up and my DH saw that sparkle, he said I never knew diamonds could be that beautiful. He doesn''t hate diamonds like he used to. He said you actually get what you pay for with WF (and others here) so that it''s no longer the rip off it was at chain stores for crap.

WF is tops. their customer service is excellent and the diamonds are to die for. Those ACAs surely do sparkle.

shay

Aur

Rough_Rock
Don''t worry about buying online, especially with WF. I am currently working with them now, and with all the other good reviews/experiences ive read about I sleep fine at night. (they already have my money)

Even after the purchase and during the ring casting I can always send a question and receive a response almost immediately. I''m surprised that James at WF hasn''t blocked my email addy yet!

If you have an idea of when the ring will ship, as long as you schedule with an appraiser you''ll be fine.

Cheers

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Zman :)

I''m also in the UK, and my fiance and I bought the diamond for my engagement ring online, from the USA... and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

You''ve probably already worked out that the stones carried by 99% of the high street jewellery shops here are massively overpriced, and on the whole pretty cr*p. :D

I bought from DiamondsonWeb.com and had a great experience with them. I know that Whiteflash is highly respected amongst Pricescope users - and so I wouldn''t hesitate to use myself them based on what I''ve heard about their quality, value & service.

Unfortunately, yes, you do have to pay Duty to get your ring or stone into the UK. It''s quite a lot, but you will still be saving a fortune on what yu would have paid for your stone in the UK. (We paid about $1300 duty on a $7266 stone. However, the ring would have cost about £10k from a high street jeweller... eek!).

Many companies will give you a 30 day appraisal period - during which time you can send it back. I narrowed the possibility of having to do this by only looking at GIA and AGS certificated stones... and only looking at GIA Excellent and AGS0 Ideal cuts.

Everyone on here will advise you to buy the best possible cut grade you can, above all else (ie colour & clarity)... and if you do that you won''t fail to be blown away by the stone you choose.

With a GIA or AGS certificated stone, you won''t need an independent appraisal. The stones have already been graded by one of the top gem labs and you can be sure of what you''re buying.

If you are choosing an SI1 or SI2 clarity stone (as have many people on here) ask Whiteflash to confirm the stone is eyeclean for you before you buy it.

You might like to post your stone requirements on here (shape, carat weight, colour, clarity etc) and ask the expert PS-ers to help you choose which one they think is best. Alternatively, they can help you narrow your list down if you''ve already found a few you like the look of.

Either way, buying our diamond online is the best thing we ever did. When I opened that parcel that AGS0 beauty was the most amazing stone I had ever seen... and there was no way it was going back!

x

Michel

Rough_Rock
I too live in the UK; luckily, though, I will avoid duty by getting my uncle to bring it back for me under the radar, as he lives in the States! :)

I am not worried about online - I trust the numbers, you should too! (from the right retailers)

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
zman,

I experienced the same apprehension myself. I was incredibly leery about purchasing online, however, after reviewing all of the positive feedback they have received and building a relationship with one of their sales people, I became very comfortable and ultimately made my first online diamond purchase. The diamond was as promised and the customer service was top notch.

I would familiarize your sales rep with your concerns to see if they are able to add some flexibility into their return policy for you etc .. Not positive that they will be able to, however, WF is usually willing to work with their customers to the best of their abilities. I know that my sales agent was willing to make some concessions given a particular circumstance in my situation.

To put your mind at ease, it is likely a good idea to have an independant appraisal so that you can be completely confident that you rec''d what you purchased.

Good luck!
35.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
WF is a very reputable company, you will be completely safe purchasing from there. Just in case something goes wrong you also have a return policy and an upgrade policy for the center stone in case you want to make a change or return the whole ring. If you are feeling weary (which you shouldn''t) I would suggest getting an independent appraisal once you have the ring just to make sure everything checks out.

gracie33

Rough_Rock
Hi zman,

I just want to chime in with the rest to vouch for WF. I worked with them when choosing my engagement ring, and they were great! I live in Houston, so I had the chance to look at the diamonds personally. I chose an ACA .73 F color. Though I took a bit to think on it, I ended up finally going with the diamond that Brian recommended. I really should have trusted him in the first place, the three I saw looked soo similar without the scope
41.gif

Anyway, with the way the dollar is performing right now, you''ll get a good deal, even with the 20% duty.

Hope this helps,
Gracie

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am also in the process of having my ering made by WF. I live in Australia and was really nervous about purchasing sight unseen from the US, but many months lurking around here made me feel better about it considering the enormous support and confidence the PS community has in Lesley, Brian and WF in general. I have been working with Lesley and she is FANTASTIC. I seriously can''t tell you how great she has been! Nothing is too much trouble it seems, I have been emailing her constantly and she always emails back so fast, and keeps me up to date. I can''t wait to see my ering, I''m so excited and so very glad I went with WF. I will post pics when I can, but just to tempt you, it''s a 0.8ct D VS2 ACA, set in Classic 6 prong Tiff setting, YG
30.gif

zman

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody for your input and encouraging words.
I''ll keep working with WF to find the diamond that suits me (and my lady) the most and hopefully have something to show off in the near future!

mikebzt

Rough_Rock
I purchased my e-ring online from Whiteflash which was over 9K. Whiteflash has an outstanding reputation so you should have no worries about purchasing from them online at all.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Zman, just to ease your mind on the inspection period, it doesn''t actually begin until delivery, so transit delays won''t affect your inspection period.

If you find that you''re not able to get an appraisal completed within the 10 days, you can also call Vera in the Customer Service department. She''ll help you work through an extension of the inspection period to make sure you can get your appraisal completed.

cruiserhead

Rough_Rock
I just did the same- everything over the phone and computer- bought sight unseen. Just ask them with regards to quality of diamond, you need to trust their opinion as well. I think if they are reputable, they will be honest.
I had a easy process and overall pleasurable way to depart with your money.

I paid through AMEX. AMEX has a measure of buyer protection and just pay it all off asap so you don't get hit with finance charges.

Isn't it an advantage being that the £1 = US$100 so your ring will only cost £100 (just kidding!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results