shape
carat
color
clarity

Nervous about diamond and setting bought separately

TexasBug

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I were looking for a nice engagement ring, and nothing was quite standing out until we found a beautiful setting at this one store. We were going to buy the diamond through them too and have them set it, but their diamond inventory was not great and the quality of the diamonds they did have were not quite what we were searching for or they were way out of our price range such as a $17K diamond that caught my eye. My boyfriend found a beautiful diamond that he purchased online, it's been certified and we had it appraised and it's exactly what we were looking for. The store is now upset that we didn't buy through them and now they're giving us a hard time about mounting the diamond for us. They promised us several things the day we went in intending to buy the setting and diamond from them, and completely changed it the next time when we went in to buy only the setting because we now had an outside diamond (down to the form of payment they would be willing to accept!). If they weren't the only store with that particular setting, I would've given them the finger. Anyway, while we wait for the setting to be sized and to come back (which we were originally told was going to take only 1 day, but after we bought a diamond elsewhere, it would now take 3 weeks....sorry I keep getting off topic to vent), I'm worried that we made a mistake and that we won't be able to put our beautiful diamond and setting together. I'm looking into smaller local jewelry shops to see who would do this for us, but it's Sunday and everyone was closed.

Has anyone else out there done it like we did, with a diamond from one place, a setting from another place, and getting it set somewhere else? Did it turn out ok?

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
How much did you spend on the setting? If it's significantly less than the $17k you spent on the diamond, would you be willing to write it off and start over?

Since they're telling you it will be three weeks to size the setting, can you cancel the order before they do the sizing (which would certainly make the sale final)?

My point is, if you're able to back out of this transaction, there are other ways to get a similar setting. The members here may be able to find you a comparable setting from a different vendor, or if that is not possible, there are several options for having a setting cutom-made for you based on the style that you want.

This being said, you may be able to find a third-party jeweler who will set the stone for you, but be prepared to pay a setting fee that can be in the $100-$500 range, and/or to be required to sign a waiver that will release the jeweler from liability should your diamond be damaged during the setting process.

Good luck!

P.S. Please post images or a link of the setting, if you can.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure this happens often, but jewelers sometimes do get mad when their customers buy the diamond online after viewing stones in their store. I wish you had posted a picture of the setting prior to buying, because we might could have located one for you elsewhere. Or certainly you could have had one custom made, and then you wouldn't have the problem. I think the 3 week wait hopefully means they are ordering a new setting to fit your stone and in your size. I'd rather not buy a sample setting right out of the case because rarely would it be the right size for the stone and for your finger. If there are diamonds on the shank, you do not want one that is sized. When the ring comes back, just be sure you check it very carefully to be sure the stone is set well and maybe take it to an appraiser. Or if it was very recent, I'd see if I could cancel. I would not try to buy a stone, a setting, and have the diamond set by a third jeweler.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
When you buy a diamond and setting separately (even at the same store), the jeweler has to set it anyway so the quality of their work will either be there or not. I echo the suggestion to have another jeweler check that the diamond is set well, and maybe have it reappraised, after it's set (which you'll prob want to do to insure both the diamond and the setting). Are you able to return the setting, even if it's after the diamond's been set and if you're not happy with the workmanship?

If you decide later you'd like suggestions for other settings, post a pic of what it looks like and the brand if you know it. The PSers here are great at making other recommendations.

TexasBug

Rough_Rock
We did not spend 17K on the diamond, I was just saying that they either had diamonds that were of poor quality or they had some that were of a quality that was a bit out of our price range (such as the $17K diamond, that was way over budget). It is indeed a final sale and it's already been purchased. They are definitely not going to let us back out. It's not buyer's remorse, I love the setting, I just hate how everything changed as soon as we got our own diamond. I wish I had known all this before, we are brand new to the diamond/setting world and I didn't know about all the options. I looked around, even online, and couldn't find anything quite like this setting. I don't have a picture of it and they don't post their inventory online for some reason. The diamond is already purchased, the setting is already purchased, and when we do get the setting back, we will probably have no choice but to take it to some other 3rd party just because A) this store likely will find a reason not to set it for us B) The awful customer service and attitude we encountered when we told them we purchased a diamond elsewhere has just turned us off and we'd like to be done with them as soon as we get our setting.

I have tiny fingers so they are resizing it to fit me although I don't understand how it went from 1 day to 3 weeks. They knew my size all along and they didn't have a problem until we bought a diamond elsewhere.

We're aware that it will cost us to have someone else mount it and that's ok, but this store already told us that they will be charging at least $350 to mount ours IF they do agree to mount it. So it sounds like they really don't want to do it or they are trying to discourage it in every way. I just want to know if anyone else has done it like this and how it turned out.

Believe me, I'll be checking that setting under the microscope to make sure that all the stones are there and that it looks just right, because they voided all warranty and return policies once they found out about the diamond. Once we walk out with that setting, we'll be out of luck if there is anything wrong with it. I will be having it reappraised afterwards when everything is complete, as well. I'm hoping that whatever 3rd party jeweler we go with will be great in their service so that we can form a good relationship with them and be able to take our ring there in the future if repairs or adjustments are ever needed. I'm just nervous about the whole thing because of how hostile the store got when we didn't end up buying their diamond. I'm just hoping it all works out and I'll be able to have this beautiful diamond and setting put together and have my dream ring.

TexasBug

Rough_Rock
By the way, I understand that many jewelers will not accept responsibility for the setting of the stone and that it's quite hard to get the ring insured when it's not set yet. But then I've been reading on this site that I should have some extra insurance when having the diamond set in case it gets chipped or the setting gets damaged in some way. Where/how do I get this?

Sorry, I really am new at this.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You also might want to get the centre stone checked to make sure they do not switch your stone for another. It rarely happens but I have known of cases where this has occurred.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
TexasBug|1410147926|3746800 said:
By the way, I understand that many jewelers will not accept responsibility for the setting of the stone and that it's quite hard to get the ring insured when it's not set yet. But then I've been reading on this site that I should have some extra insurance when having the diamond set in case it gets chipped or the setting gets damaged in some way. Where/how do I get this?

Sorry, I really am new at this.

Jeweler's Mutual will insure your unset diamond for setting.

I am sorry that you encountered this. It is very shortsighted on the part of the jeweler, considering the fact that you will now never purchase from them again.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
TexasBug|1410147382|3746797 said:
I'm hoping that whatever 3rd party jeweler we go with will be great in their service so that we can form a good relationship with them and be able to take our ring there in the future if repairs or adjustments are ever needed. I'm just nervous about the whole thing because of how hostile the store got when we didn't end up buying their diamond. I'm just hoping it all works out and I'll be able to have this beautiful diamond and setting put together and have my dream ring.

Would you like to share what part of Texas (I'm assuming because of your user name) you're in? Maybe some PSers in that area can recommend a reliable 3rd party to set it?

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
I'm in Texas too and am curious as to which vendor is giving you a hard time about the setting? Most stores have a clear return policy if you're not happy with the product, so I'm hoping you'll at least be able to get your money back minus any return fee if you already paid for it. Either way, I hope you'll share the name of the store so I'll know to avoid.

the_universe

Rough_Rock
1) money is money. they shouldnt care in the least bit. they are making money off you guys via the setting portion. if they cared so much about selling you a center stone then they would have tried harder to accommodate you with a better price.

3) I would basically just go in there and tell them you want them to do a setting for a stone you have. Restart the dialogue like nothing ever happened before and be nice about it. If they give you a hard time again I would call them out on it. "Why don't you charge me for the task at hand and do a great job so I tell everyone about how great you guys are?"

3) Yelp is very powerful tool. No matter the outcome of this interaction make sure its documented on Yelp; positives and negatives.

4) sad to say but if you ever do something like this in the future with a store such as this, I would just have said to them that you decided to go with your or your fiance's grandmother's diamond instead. They cant get upset at grandma.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results