shape
carat
color
clarity

Negotiating with online vendors?

diamondringseeker

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I have picked out a diamond from James Allen and I am close to making a purchase, just wondering if they are willing to negotiate.

The diamond + setting is worth approx $5300

What's been your experience?

Thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt it. You may be surprised to learn that most online vendors have profit margins in the single digit percentages for diamonds. So they might only be making $400 on your diamond sale (more on the setting, but not a whole lot more). Not a lot of room for negotiation.

They do offer a PS discount if you ask for it though.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can never hurt to ask. But, this isn't like buying in the diamond district where all listed prices are inflated - the prices listed are the actual prices, so don't be surprised if the answer is no. Some vendors offer PS/wire transfer discounts, you'll have to ask about the PS discount though - does your quote include both?
:))

diamondringseeker

Rough_Rock
My quote only includes the PS discount. I dont think i will use wire transfer. The credit card will give me the equivalent saving in points.

Thanks

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
I doubt it....

As mentioned earlier, profits are below 10% in lots of cases. they rely on volume, like a supermarket.

When I brought my diamond to be appraised, the appraiser said it could have been likely that the vendor made something like 4-6% on my purchase. When I brought to the person making my setting, he said that there would be no way I could get the price that low if I bought it from him.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gibson486|1304297390|2909550 said:
I doubt it....

As mentioned earlier, profits are below 10% in lots of cases. they rely on volume, like a supermarket.

When I brought my diamond to be appraised, the appraiser said it could have been likely that the vendor made something like 4-6% on my purchase. When I brought to the person making my setting, he said that there would be no way I could get the price that low if I bought it from him.

And low overhead too I presume.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results