shape
carat
color
clarity

negotiating this zales ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Sammy,

I''m not sure about a custom ring. I''ve heard they can be pricey. Do you have a Jareds near you? I do think that you could find a setting similar to the Zales in there for a decent price. Or just search online for one. www.goodoldgold.com has a TON of settings.

No jewelry store anywhere will let you photograph thier jewelry, but you could use the photo from online.

I wish you the best of luck here, please keep us updated. I would say to her if I were you, something like "Honey, I know you like THIS ring and I could get it RIGHT now, but I promise we can get something BIGGER, BETTER for the same price online, similar to what you like. I want to get you the best possible ring, I know you''d be okay with this one, but I personally would feel better if you would let me get the ring I feel you deserve."

Hard to argue with something like that. :) But seriously Jareds has a huge selection....take her there and let her play :)

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 12:10:45 PM
Author: hikerchick

Date: 1/11/2007 11:35:50 AM
Author: colorkitty
Cehrabehra, I was offering the suggestion in case she didn't know you don't have to have a diamond to be engaged. There are surprising numbers of people I've come across who honestly don't know that. And, also JMO, but asking your bf to spend $1500 on a crap diamond because you've bought into the marketing that diamond=engagement=required is unfair (if that's what is going on here). If she really doesn't care about the diamond, why should he spend $ on it? Makes no sense to me, but, again, sammy sounds like a sweet guy who is trying hard to please her. What makes them happy is all that matters.
1.gif

Custom made settings are pretty expensive because there are design and labor costs in addition to the cost of the metal and diamonds . . .
My BF spent a BIG chunk of his savings to get me a GORGEOUS center diamond (more than I wanted him to spend) and now wants me to have the perfect setting but a custom made setting is VERY expensive and in the end I decided that seeing him drop another HUGE chunk o'change of his hard earned savings was too much to bear and so we have stuck to the 'stock' settings.

On a $1500 budget, a custom setting and center diamond is in my humble opinion unrealistic . . . but there are others here more in the 'know' than myself and may be able to help you out.

In any case, good luck . . . you are sweet for trying to get her what she wants, we are just trying to make sure your hard earned money gets you the best value possible.
Custom is often mistakenly associated with expensive. This certainly does not have to be the case. I believe that she will regret her hastiness in years to come if she goes with that very low quality ring and diamond from Zales. I would contact Whiteflash. They did my setting very affordably and the ACAs they use in their settings are to die for.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra, I was offering the suggestion in case she didn''t know you don''t have to have a diamond to be engaged. There are surprising numbers of people I''ve come across who honestly don''t know that. And, also JMO, but asking your bf to spend $1500 on a crap diamond because you''ve bought into the marketing that diamond=engagement=required is unfair (if that''s what is going on here). If she really doesn''t care about the diamond, why should he spend $ on it? Makes no sense to me, but, again, sammy sounds like a sweet guy who is trying hard to please her. What makes them happy is all that matters.
1.gif
you don''t even need a ring to become engaged LOL I never got one - I waited 15 years! It sounds to me like she cares that she has a *diamond* just not that she cares if it is any good. She might not be very discerning about her ring - but it sounds like she was discerning about her beau :) He sounds like he wants to make her happy - and she sounds easy to please! lol

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
There has to be a casting out there of this exact setting. No need to go custom.
The top row of this adwar catalog seems to have what you are looking for. I know it''s tough to visualize how these settings will look w/ stones in them- it''s just a matter of finding one w/ the right "count" of side stones. I believe that Zales ring has 8 stones on each side correct?

GOG or WF could order this casting and put everything together for you.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 12:49:00 PM
Author: jazmine
Date: 1/11/2007 12:10:45 PM

Cehrabehra, I was offering the suggestion in case she didn''t know you don''t have to have a diamond to be engaged. There are surprising numbers of people I''ve come across who honestly don''t know that. And, also JMO, but asking your bf to spend $1500 on a crap diamond because you''ve bought into the marketing that diamond=engagement=required is unfair (if that''s what is going on here). If she really doesn''t care about the diamond, why should he spend $ on it? Makes no sense to me, but, again, sammy sounds like a sweet guy who is trying hard to please her. What makes them happy is all that matters.
1.gif

Custom made settings are pretty expensive because there are design and labor costs in addition to the cost of the metal and diamonds . . .

My BF spent a BIG chunk of his savings to get me a GORGEOUS center diamond (more than I wanted him to spend) and now wants me to have the perfect setting but a custom made setting is VERY expensive and in the end I decided that seeing him drop another HUGE chunk o''change of his hard earned savings was too much to bear and so we have stuck to the ''stock'' settings.

On a $1500 budget, a custom setting and center diamond is in my humble opinion unrealistic . . . but there are others here more in the ''know'' than myself and may be able to help you out.

In any case, good luck . . . you are sweet for trying to get her what she wants, we are just trying to make sure your hard earned money gets you the best value possible.
Custom is often mistakenly associated with expensive. This certainly does not have to be the case. I believe that she will regret her hastiness in years to come if she goes with that very low quality ring and diamond from Zales. I would contact Whiteflash. They did my setting very affordably and the ACAs they use in their settings are to die for.

All the custom quotes I have gotten have been significantly greater than buying a "stock" setting . . . I was basing it on that. Jazmine, I am curious to know if you think he can get a custom setting AND a center stone for $1500?

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I''m sick today, and bored, and I hope he doesn''t mind another suggestion but:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm

looks a lot like the zales ring to me. That''s about $900 w/o the discount. Then I went on bluenile and found a number of very good H-I VS2 princess cuts for about $500-600.

That''s about $1500 for the ring plus whatever nominal fee the jeweler would charge to set the diamond. It''s a bigger, nice diamond in a very similar setting.

It''s just a rough estimate, but it''s an idea of how it can be done for a similar price.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 1:14:58 PM
I'm sick today, and bored, and I hope he doesn't mind another suggestion but:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm

looks a lot like the zales ring to me. That's about $900 w/o the discount. Then I went on bluenile and found a number of very good H-I VS2 princess cuts for about $500-600.

That's about $1500 for the ring plus whatever nominal fee the jeweler would charge to set the diamond. It's a bigger, nice diamond in a very similar setting.

It's just a rough estimate, but it's an idea of how it can be done for a similar price.

That setting has been suggested to him a couple of times already, I think . . .
It is a NICE setting and there have been a number of diamonds suggested that would fit with that setting to make a very nice ring
I just think he is saying that for his GF, it is the Zales ring or nothing . . . at least that is the way I am reading this.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
That setting has been suggested to him a couple of times already, I think . . .

It is a NICE setting and there have been a number of diamonds suggested that would fit with that setting to make a very nice ring

I just think he is saying that for his GF, it is the Zales ring or nothing . . . at least that is the way I am reading this.

No, you''re right. She does seem to be saying that. And I appologize for reposting the same link. I don''t always look through them. I guess I should stop commentating, because zales is fine if that''s what she wants and he wants, but it just raised all kinds of red flags that the reason she seems to want that ring is that it''s quick and easy and she wants to be engaged yesterday. The impatience of being able to wait a month for a ring and the preference that he overpay rather than she wait boggles me. None of my business... I know.

And maybe this zales ring will look really nice. I have no idea.

Okay, I''m out. I wish our op the best of luck! It''s so nice to see a guy that concerned with what his gf wants.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Hey colorkitty, no apologies needed . . . I wasn''t berating you . . . in case you read it that way
9.gif

I also completely agree that I don''t understand his GF''s reasons . . . but to each their own.
I am assuming and this is probably a BIG assumption . . . that they are young and have marraige fever . . .
I remember feeling very stressed over wanting to get married immediately when I was with my ex (YEARS ago).
I was younger (only in my early 20s) and felt some sort of fear that if it didn''t happen soon, it wouldn''t happen . . . and it didn''t (thankfully)

So, even though it kills me to see the op spend his money on a ring with an I clarity diamond in it . . . we have to remember that there might be time and money in the future for a better purchase . . .

someone has to buy those Zales diamonds too right?
6.gif

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to keep working on this one- find a stone for $900 and then use this- from Quest for $510.00
This 14k white gold ring by Gottlieb and Sons features 10 round diamonds that are micro-pave set (0.15 ctw). The setting is designed to accommodate a 1 ct. round stone, but may be custom designed to accommodate any stone. The center stone is not included at the price shown.

GS-25316ER.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
sammy,

Did you see the setting I posted? It''s almost identical to the the Zales ring and you can put a much nicer diamond in the center. Having that setting custom made would be pointless; there are SO many look-a-likes out there.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 1:49:28 PM
Author: dtnyc
I am going to keep working on this one- find a stone for $900 and then use this- from Quest for $510.00

This 14k white gold ring by Gottlieb and Sons features 10 round diamonds that are micro-pave set (0.15 ctw). The setting is designed to accommodate a 1 ct. round stone, but may be custom designed to accommodate any stone. The center stone is not included at the price shown.

GS-25316ER.jpg

OHHHHHH . . . I LOVE it and it is almost identical to the zales one . . . maybe it isn''t time to give up yet.
DTNYC, I am AMAZED . . . you done good.

sammyjoey

Rough_Rock
thanks again to all of your for your advice and suggestions. i don''t have time to reply to each of you, but i promise i''m looking at the links you are sending, so don''t feel like they''re going unnoticed. keep sending suggestions and thanks again. i''ll keep you posted on what i decide to do!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Well I can certainly understand why his fiance wants to try on the ring - personally I would never buy a custom ring that I couldn''t try on and in general I''m just not that into buying jewelry on the internet because you can''t try it on first. Maybe people can continue to suggest other jewelry stores that they can visit together? It seems a harder sell to get her to give up a ring she''s seen in person for one from a website.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 1:58:30 PM

OHHHHHH . . . I LOVE it and it is almost identical to the zales one . . . maybe it isn''t time to give up yet.
DTNYC, I am AMAZED . . . you done good.

I honestly couldn''t get a good idea of what the zales one looked like- it wasn''t even a good picture! I am trying to find one w/ 16 side stones, so it would be 8 on each side, but I am striking out right now- I know Quest could make the prongs on this one exactly like the corner wrapped ones from Zales and I bet he could find a stone and have the whole thing in hand for Valentine''s Day if that is what he wanted!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 2:02:43 PM
Author: winternight
Well I can certainly understand why his fiance wants to try on the ring - personally I would never buy a custom ring that I couldn''t try on and in general I''m just not that into buying jewelry on the internet because you can''t try it on first. Maybe people can continue to suggest other jewelry stores that they can visit together? It seems a harder sell to get her to give up a ring she''s seen in person for one from a website.

Where do you live, sammy? Maybe someone can suggest some local places?

sammyjoey

Rough_Rock
thanks again for all the help.

for those who''ve seen the zales ring i linked in the original post, how do you think this one below compares. it''s not too pricey at all which would leave me room for a good center stone. (although try to imagine it with a princess cut and possibly different prong heads)

also, anyone have good or bad things to say about knox jewelers?

thanks, sammy

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
I have been in contact with them recently and I can not say enough good things about them. Brian and Ryan are fantastic and do amazing work. Right off the top of my head I know KCoursolle did a project with them and I know there were others, but I can''t think of their names right now. I would definitely use them for this special ring. I plan to use them in the future.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 9:42:15 PM
Author: sammyjoey
thanks again for all the help.

for those who''ve seen the zales ring i linked in the original post, how do you think this one below compares. it''s not too pricey at all which would leave me room for a good center stone. (although try to imagine it with a princess cut and possibly different prong heads)

also, anyone have good or bad things to say about knox jewelers?

thanks, sammy

What picture?
33.gif

My $.02 - sounds like you''re coming around, but in case your gf insists you go the zales route, I think one tactic you might try is agree with her on the condition that she fully read through each of your threads and afterward still prefers the zales route.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
SJ- your pic didn't post. I have never worked with Knox, but have read good things about them. I will say that looking around for engagement ring settings, they do seem to have better than average prices for what I have looked at.

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I have not bought from Knox personally, but have read many good things on this site from people who have... and they have some gorgeous designs. Maybe your girlfriend would be willing to consider this:

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=201&rn=493&action=show_detail

with a center stone like one of these:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=862062 (0.56 center diamond)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=978820 (0.54 diamond)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=862278 (0.55 diamond)

This combination of setting + diamond would not only give her a much better quality diamond that would be much more beautiful, eye-clean and sparkly, but her center diamond would also be larger than the zales center diamond. If the zales ring is 0.50 total carat weight including the side diamonds, the center diamond is probably only 0.40. A cloudy, dull 0.40 diamond when you could instead have a clear, sparkly 0.55 diamond?? Maybe she''ll see the difference between these options when they''re laid out for her. :) She''ll also probably be impressed with the looking around and research you''ve done.. which is really sweet of you!
36.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Yup, Sammy, make her read your threads. Take her to the show me the ring section and show her some of the lovely settings there. There are a lot of people here with various budgets, and 99 percent of the time, they are thrilled at how far their diamond money went here online. I have heard great things about Knox and would not hesitate to work with them. Good luck.

shay

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 12:02:13 AM
Author: devientdrow
However you unfortunatly will not be able to negotiate with Zales, they are a chain store and not able to 'haggle' pricing. Sometimes they are running promos where they take a small percentage off the cost of the ring but that is what anyone would get.

Date: 1/11/2007 12:24:50 AM
Author: Kaleigh
They don't negotiate. Can I try one last time to get you to buy online??? I know the quality or lack of that you are considering, and it makes me sad.... I kind of want to save you from going down this path, but so far what I have said has fallen on deaf ears. Just know, I tried...

Date: 1/11/2007 12:24:34 AM
Author: onedrop
From what I know about Zales, I don't think they negotiate on price. Isn't it basically a 'what you see is what you get' type of deal?
Actually... my girlfriend worked at Zales and they negotiate almost everything there. Their starting point seems to be 300% of cost, but you should be able to get them down to 150% of cost. I would think you should be able to get them down to $750.

You may be able to get it cheaper online, but just beware that these rings always look a little different in pictures than in person, and the always seem to look a little different on finger than in person too. So be sure anything you get online has a good return policy.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 1:40:23 PM
Author: shiatsu

Date: 1/11/2007 12:02:13 AM
Author: devientdrow
However you unfortunatly will not be able to negotiate with Zales, they are a chain store and not able to ''haggle'' pricing. Sometimes they are running promos where they take a small percentage off the cost of the ring but that is what anyone would get.
Actually... my girlfriend worked at Zales and they negotiate almost everything there. Their starting point seems to be 300% of cost, but you should be able to get them down to 150% of cost. I would think you should be able to get them down to $750.
Wow - insider information!
3.gif

BTW, I''m personally working with Brian Knox on a setting right now, so far he''s been great, and I''m highly anticipating an excellent finished product.

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 1:45:12 PM
Author: ILikeBond

3.gif

BTW, I'm personally working with Brian Knox on a setting right now, so far he's been great, and I'm highly anticipating an excellent finished product.
I was at Knox's store a few weeks ago too. For someone that makes all their rings themselves in-house they actually were impressive. Normally, the in-house made rings I've seen looked to be a plainer, cheaper alternative to designer rings. But Knox's designs were comparable to most designer lines. Me and my girlfriend just didn't see anything that "spoke" to us. There was one I kinda liked, but my girlfried said it looked too much like a flower.

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 1:45:12 PM
Author: ILikeBond

3.gif
Yeah, but now that I look at the site... if it's listed on their website at that price it may be a hard set price, not sure. Doesn't hurt to ask however, and don't feel ashamed to ask if they can come down on it because it's very commonly done. A lot of the salespeople will even come down without you asking too just to make the sale. They've got a card behind the counter that only they can see and tells them how much they can come down.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results