shape
carat
color
clarity

Negligible size difference?

jadymax

Rough_Rock
I am hoping that I can get some opinions before I upgrade my stone. I have a 1.5 ct brilliant stone and have had the opportunity to upgrade the quality with regards to clarity, cut is very good for both. The stone I am looking at is the same weight but is .14 mm smaller. It should fit in my halo setting without problems apparently. Is it typical for the size of stones to vary by that much? I don't appreciate a big difference but it sort of bothers me that the width is a bit smaller. Is this something that should be discernible or noticeable? I don't want it to bother me down the road. Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
does the current clarity bother you? if the jeweler says it will fit then I would trust their opinion. if you have a halo setting the halo will remain the same size...so you wouldn't notice any size difference

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us the measurements of the stones? It would be good to have diameter, table, depth, crown angle, and pavilion angle.

jadymax

Rough_Rock
Working on those numbers. I do appreciate a small size difference but I agree that within the setting it is probably negligible to the naked eye, it bugs me a bit though. However, I am more bothered by the clarity of my stone. In terms of table, what is the ideal and does anyone know how that compares with a very good cut? Thanks again

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The table size for ideal/excellent cut would generally be between 54 and 57%. I was going to look at all your numbers and tell you how the stone sounds. Just want to be sure it looks like a good upgrade since you have the concern about the size.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this a round brilliant?

The human eye cannot discern a .14mm difference in size. If you see a difference, I warrant it is in your mind. Once set in a halo, the two stones would be indistinguishable.

jadymax

Rough_Rock
Table 57.4%
Crown is 36.2*
Depth is 62.8%
Girdle Slightly thick
Comments?
It is an SI1 I very good cut. My current stone is SI2 H but not as eye clean as I would like, hence the reason for upgrading. I would rather go with a G or H but not in my price range.
Thanks for insight.

jadymax

Rough_Rock
Yes, sorry - Round Brilliant!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what is the pavilion angle? also, what are the numbers on your current stone?

not all SI1s are eye-clean, so I would definitely check it out in person

jadymax

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I don't have my other numbers currently. I have seen the SI1 and I am comfortable with how eye clean it is. It is a huge improvement over my SI2 from that point of view.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is cut a little deep and it may be facing up smaller than a better cut stone of the same weight. What are the weight and diameter of this stone?

jadymax

Rough_Rock
7.27x7.20x4.54mm

Current one is
7.41x7.34x4.47 mm

Definitely deeper. Can't win. Still graded as a very good cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmm, I think I'd ask the jeweler to do better than that. Ask him for excellent cut. An excellent cut 1.5 ct. stone should be close to 7.4mm. A 7.2 is going to look more like a 1.4 ct. stone. Your first one was a better diameter.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would look for one that will fit in your current halo setting, but definitely look for excellent cut if possible

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Would you consider looking for another Si2 stone - but H color? So same stats as your current stone, but with better eye cleanliness?

It could take a bit, but it's certainly possible to find an eye clean/mind clean Si2.

I know plenty of people have I stones. Heck, even Tiffany's sells I colored stones, but a VG cut with an I stone... I'd at least wait for an excellent cut. I color is where I start to see a tinge. The break between H and I is my cut off point for an ering (totally a personal preference and I'm very color sensitive).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jadymax|1305044395|2917420 said:
Table 57.4%
Crown is 36.2*
Depth is 62.8%
Girdle Slightly thick
Comments?
It is an SI1 I very good cut. My current stone is SI2 H but not as eye clean as I would like, hence the reason for upgrading. I would rather go with a G or H but not in my price range.
Thanks for insight.

1. Does your jeweller think the new stone will fit into the old setting well? It's not just the diametre - if your halo leaves little room between stone and undercarriage some reworking may be necessary here, too, to permit a deeper stone.. The tolerances may be smaller than you might imagine - ask specifically for a mm range of all dimensions which the stone should fit. The last thing you want is to buy a stone and not be able to set it.

2. What lab? 36.2 would suggest AGS or a sarin - if you have a scan post or attach results.. given just that info, would suggest pav is deeper than you'd want, just from the numbers. I understand that you've seen it - what did you think? Go back in and compare it to other stones of different cut grades and proportions in various lights around the shop, see how you feel. A halo is going to further penalize a deep stone by preventing light from entering the pav.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results