shape
carat
color
clarity

Needles............

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Guys,
I''m not too familiar with needles in a diamond. Mine doesnt have one so I never had to look that up. Can you explain what effect a needle will have on a VS-2-SI-1 stone. Also, where is the best place for a needle to be? I have seen some certs that specify needles, but cant see where they are located. How are they plotted? A darker bolder thicker line?

Thanks for your help.

Judy
:)

If you have any diam. shots with needles in them, I''d appreciate it. Thanks again.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Can you explain what effect a needle will have on a
VS-2-SI-1 stone.
-----------

Needles are usually very fine, light, straightline inclusions which are usually totally enclosed within the diamond. In a VS2 or SI1 stone they would not be eye visible, and would have no negative effect on the stone from the standpoint of durability.

-----------
Also, where is the best place for a needle to be?
-----------

Makes no difference really. If you've got a needle in the heart of the stone (under the table), and it grades SI1 or VS2, then it is a very fine or minute inclusion.

If it's in the bezel area and grades SI1 or VS2, it might be a little larger but hidden by the brilliance of the bezel area and still not eye visible.

Needles tend to be more subdued in appearance than a crystal or feather. Every once in a while you'll run across a larger, dark needle inclusion which is eye visible and unattractive, but that is definitely the minority rather than the majority of times, and more common with colored stones than diamonds.

-----------
I have seen some certs that specify needles, but
cant see where they are located. How are they
plotted? A darker bolder thicker line?
-----------

Usually with very light, thin, straight lines. Sometimes longer, sometimes very, very short.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much Rich. It sounds like a needle isnt much to worry about. :) The stones in question have great plots. And now that you mention it, the plots have what looked like faded out lines. Now I see, thats where the needles are. :)

Judy

barry

Shiny_Rock
Excellent answer on type, coloration, and
location of needles, Rich.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL Rich. I hadnt thought of that (Needles) when I posted this thread. I'm actually currently at work & not sure how many needles I've gone through today. haha

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results