shape
carat
color
clarity

Needle and durability...help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JD_MD

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a diamond that has a small needle that touches the girdle and extends just through one of the upper girdle facets. The diamond itself is 8.61mm in diameter and the needle is approximately 1mm in length. The diamond has a GIA SI1 clarity grading....Would this needle ever cause a durability issue?

Thanks!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to get a professional opinion regarding it from an independent gemologist before purchasing.

dib

Shiny_Rock
can you tell by looking at the markings on your GIA cert if the needles are touching the girdle? If so, where would they be?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What does the vendor say about it?
They should have seen the diamond and if they havent look elsewhere for a diamond :}

JD_MD

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/19/2005 8:40:50 PM
Author: strmrdr
What does the vendor say about it?
They should have seen the diamond and if they havent look elsewhere for a diamond :}
The vendor thinks it''s one of the best SI1s he has seen in a while (for the same reason that I state below) and that the needle won''t be a durability issue....of course it''s also in his best interest to sell me a diamond...lol

Thought I''d see if in general these types of inclusions are avoided by many folks..

The good news is except for the one needle...the diamond is virtually a VVS and there are no other plotted inclusions on the cert. The prong will cover a good bit of the needle, so this diamond could be gorgeous for the $$ as long as I don''t have to worry about the inclusion getting larger.

Thanks for the opinions thus far!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The reason I asked what the vendor thought was because there are just way too many variables for someone who hasnt seen it to give a solid answer.
Myself if I was buying something that expensive and didnt trust the vendor to be honest about an inclusion id find a different vendor.
Otherwise its going to an independant appraiser before I pay a dime and getting the appraisers approval.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results