shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your thoughts...please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

j0zak

Rough_Rock
Within the next few days I will be purchasing an e-ring. I have narrowed it down to this choice[seen in the pic]. I have come to this forum for my last step in purchasing the ring because I''ve heard great things about this site and that your opinion is both reliable and of all things, honest. Thanks for your time. If the picture doesn''t show up here are the specs.

D
VS2
D:61.6%
T:56%
polish:good
symmetry:good
girdle: thin to thick, faceted
cutlet:none
florescence: med blue
6.38X6.47X3.96mm

GIA_report2.jpg

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
What are your priorities? Just for comparison, here are a couple of similar diamonds in ideal cuts...
1.094 D VS2 $8697 with PriceScope discount
and
1.076 D VS2 $8749

I'm sure there are other options out there, this was just a very quick search.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Specifically addressing the stone you posted, if you're looking for the best of the best, I'd probably pass on this. It's hard to tell how good it will look without crown and pavilion angles, but from the info you gave, here are my concerns:

1. Diameter is smaller than it should be for a 1ct. Ideally, it should be right around 6.5mm
2. Girdle - I don't like the variation of thin all the way to thick. medium to slightly thick would be fine by me. I suspect this is where the extra weight is hiding too.
3. "Good" polish and symmetry. Just not good enough in my book, I'd want at least VG...
4. I don't know what price you're paying on this stone, but there is a significant premium for the D color, and a significant price jump at 1.00 ct. You can save a lot of money by looking for 0.95ish ct. stone in an E color, if you're really sensitive to color.

I won't be the one to dissuade you from a D color (I happen to love them) -but most people cannot tell the difference between a D and an F or a G, so if price is a concern, that might be worth looking into.

Personally, I'd drop a color grade and a clarity grade in a heartbeat to get an ideal cut, now that I've seen for myself what a difference the cut makes. But if the important thing for you is to be able to say it's a 1ct D diamond, then the stone you have works. I'd just urge you to run some searches here and make sure you're not overpaying for it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results