shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your opinion on the 1.85ct Round e-rign

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gregkmitchell

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone, it was great to find this site and I thank you in advance for your feedback. I am looking to find out whether you believe the following is a good purchase? I was originally looking for a 2ct, E/F, VS1/VS2 but the rings are out of my price range so I have decided to scale back to a 1.85ct and clarity of SI1? Is that a good way to go in order to find a nice size ring that is still good value?

GIA Certified: Ex/Ex/Ex
Round Diamond
1.85ct
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Table: 62.1%
Depth: 57%

Price ~$16,700 USD

Thanks all for your help.... I am starting to get excited now:)

Cheers,

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is the crown and pavilion angle? And girdle size?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Greg,

Can you post the crown and pavilion angles please? Also the diameter measurement and girdle thickness, and whether it has any fluorescence - you will find this info on the grading report. If the diamond is with an online vendor, make sure it is eyeclean to your standards, SI clarity grades can be a good way to get increased size for the budget, but just check it is indeed eyeclean and matches your expectations.

If you can post the above info then I can get a better idea of how well this diamond is cut, it is cut quality which gives a diamond its beauty so very important that the diamond has good proportions.

gregkmitchell

Rough_Rock
Of couse, those details would be helpful. I have attached a small diagram of the proportions.

Crown Angle: 43.5%
Paviliion Angle: 75%
Girdle Size: medium

Cheers,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 4:04:16 PM
Author: gregkmitchell
Of couse, those details would be helpful. I have attached a small diagram of the proportions.

Crown Angle: 43.5%
Paviliion Angle: 75%
Girdle Size: medium

Cheers,
Greg, can you recheck please? The first measurement sounds like the pavilion depth and the pavilion angle the lower girdle facet measurement.

The crown angle will say something like 34, the pavilion angle 40.8 as an example. The diameter measurement will be on the top of the report. The girdle looks fine being medium.

gregkmitchell

Rough_Rock
Let''s try that again, here is an attachment with the proporations.

Proportions123cad.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 4:07:57 PM
Let's try that again, here is an attachment with the proporations.
Good job thanks! Ok with these angles, can you get an ASET or Idealscope image please? The depth and table are fine, but the angles are hovering around what we call the steep deep zone, as GIA round the angles it is possible depending on whether they are rounded in a shallower direction ( beneficial) or steeper direction ( not beneficial) with this angle combo, that the diamond could show light leakage, a reflector image as mentioned above will show if there is any leakage and if so to what extent and whether it is detrimental to the diamond or not.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slightly deep, 62.1% depth, 57% table, 35 crown angle, 41 pavilion angle, HCA = 2.4. Could be good, any chance we can see an idealscope image of the diamond?

gregkmitchell

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinion and quick response as I haven''t seen it yet. Let me see about getting the Idealscope image.

Cheers,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 4:12:52 PM
Thanks for the opinion and quick response as I haven't seen it yet. Let me see about getting the Idealscope image.

Cheers,
That would be very helpful as it is one of those combos I can't responsibly judge without an ASET or Idealscope image. Alternatively, if the vendor has a good return policy and you wanted to see for yourself, you could order an Idealscope inexpensively below.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y

Here is a chart you can use to interpret your findings.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart.asp

gregkmitchell

Rough_Rock
Hi, the vendor does have a 7 day return policy but I would rather not go through the inconvenience. Thanks for your help.

If there are any other opinions, please let me know.

Cheers,

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 5:18:41 PM
Hi, the vendor does have a 7 day return policy but I would rather not go through the inconvenience. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Hi greg,

My opinion is the same, for the same reason. If cut very tightly, it could be just fine. But there is really only one vendor I know of that carries such stones, and I doubt that is where this stone is from (since you would have more info/what we''re asking for)
28.gif

If you decide to keep looking, here''s a cheat sheet for GIA stones, to help get the best crown/pavilion angle combo.

" A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35)"

HTH!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 5:18:41 PM

Cheers,
You are most welcome! Sorry I can''t be of more help but as I said above, I can''t responsibly judge this angle combo without images and I don''t want to mislead you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results