shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS EGL USA STONE...please :o)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/10/2005 9:27:36 PM
Author:MJS51102

Shape: Round Brilliant
Carat: 3.60
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Cert: EGL USA

The stone is priced at 18,700
Is that price per carat !!! Oh well, even with lax grades or whatever it still sounds good. Perhaps it is smaller than AGS0 3.6cts, but definitely less expensive than an 'ideal' of the same size - and that's what matters. Unless you'd be hapier with 1.5cts AGS0, H&A & All. That comparison is difficult... STRM's GemCad models are probably optimistic, but I woudl be happy with that look in nature.

I would judge the second choice just the same.

I do not know where the prices come from and without seeing those diamonds there is no way to tell. However, an appraiser coudl help with that. In general, large price differences make me wonder - and there is a huge gap between GIA graded fare and these. Some of it is explained by the premium claimed by certain numbers (AGS0-compatible depth and table, better than 'good' finish... what not), but not all. It would take allowance for quite a few grades of color and clarity to match the price and I really am reluctant to even try the exercise and end up comapring yout G-VS with some K-SI1, really. The two are supposed to be sensibly different to anyone. In all honesty, either would be a lovely diamond and anything inbetween as well. The grade dispute is a matter of price and not much else.

If you find an independent appraiser you are confortable with, there is no need to take EGL's, the seller's or our word for good.
2.gif

Here's a puzzle for you: LINK (in short 3.6, EGL-G/VS1, 50k at Abazias).
Obviously, the seller believs one stone is allot better but kept the grades as they came from labs in both cases. Although counterintuitive during a sale, ask them what makes the difference - I would. If this example is not satisfactory, there are plenty other such quotes on their website (say, 3 cts G/VS2 - EGL, 35k and so on) - all priced sufficiently higher than 20k to make a good argument.

MJS51102

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the feedback again :)

As of yesterday, I am officially engaged :) My fiance had used Abazias to just get a sense of how big of a diamond I wanted apparently. He made his purchase at Tiffanys in the end.

Here are the 4C specs of my engagement ring (will post pics reall soon!):

Brilliant Round on a 6 prong classic Tiffany Solitaire setting

Carat 4.00
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Cut: Ideal

Apparently the diamond is gonna be crazy expensive to insure too lol... Updates to come have a great day everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results