shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your help in deciding what to do with my pinkish diamond and the setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am getting the LOGR setting pictured by LTP on this page

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/logr-settings.93674/page-9

I have a half carat pinkish brown diamond that would look very pink in rose gold (it has a good pink cast). I was thinking about getting the bezel and prongs in rose gold and leaving the surrounding circle of diamonds and shank in white gold. However, the LOGR merchant told me that they would only be able to plate the bezel in rose gold, and not make it out of solid rose gold. So here is my dillema since I''m design challenged

Should I make the entire head in rose gold, or would that look gawdy since it has white diamonds in it surrounding a pink diamond?

Should I make the entire head in yellow gold and leave the prongs in rose gold (if he can even do that)

Should I make the entire head in white gold and leave the prongs in rose gold.

I''m thinking I''m going to have to end up making the entire head in rose gold because he might have to plate the prongs as well (I didn''t ask him yet)

Help!!!!
39.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I personally wouldn''t do anything that has to do with plating cause God knows what would have to be done once it wears off (maybe taking the stone out and setting it again, and plating can wear off every year or two). Maybe doing it all in yellow gold (including the prongs) would be best.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''d leave it white and do the prongs in rose gold - it will look like the stone is just floating there, IMO.
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stone is 5mm, but it will fit a 6mm stone. LOGR man was going to do the head to fit a 5mm stone, but should I leave it as 6mm and then do you think my jeweler can add a permanent .5mm rose gold bezel and prongs to the ring? It will probably cost as much as what I paid for the whole ring though (ha!).

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anything about what can be done with settings, but a rose gold bezel sounds delicious!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 8:51:45 AM
Author: geckodani
I''d leave it white and do the prongs in rose gold - it will look like the stone is just floating there, IMO.
36.gif

I agree, it will make the pink diamond POP! Do you have pics of the diamond? Would love to see it !!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 10:37:17 AM
Author: cushioncutnut

Date: 10/3/2008 8:51:45 AM
Author: geckodani
36.gif

I agree, it will make the pink diamond POP! Do you have pics of the diamond? Would love to see it !!
Pictures of the diamond are in this thread

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-think-this-colored-diamond-would-look-good-in-rose-gold.95858/

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Gecko''s suggestion is good, but as long as the setting is made for your stone size. If it''s still large, the white metal will be surrounding the stone kind of nullifying what you''re trying to do with the rose gold prongs.

I''d almost go with having them just plate the bezel and put full rose gold prongs (don''t just have prongs plated) on the ring. Once the stone is set, the bezel is going to be under the stone not getting any wear. Only the prongs will get wear, which is why they should be solid.

As for going with another color head entirely. My personal feeling is absolutely NOT. I''ve had and set several colored diamonds and surrounding them with the white metal and white diamonds makes the color pop MORE!! If you go with a colored gold head you''re going to lose the pink champagne color of that stone into the metal. That''s my opinion and preference however. I hope you love whatever you decide to go with!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve got two pink diamonds that I''ve just set and I faced the same dilema. The first diamond is a very very pale pink. I''ve set that with a rose gold bezel and the surrounding diamonds in a white gold head and believe it or not a yellow gold shank! Sounds odd but you don''t actually notice the differences. The rose gold bezel certainly makes the pink more pink and emphasizes the difference between the coloured diamonds. However, your diamond is a much deeper colour than mine so I think you could get away with yellow or rose gold claws and white for the surrounding diamonds.

My other diamond was almost a lilac pink colour. I had this set abroad and they didn''t work with rose gold so the only option I had was white or yellow. The whole ring has been made with white gold. Although you can clearly see the central diamond is a different colour, I''m not sure that it''s been emphasized enough.

I''m not sure any of that helps but I would definitely put your diamond next to all three different colour gold bands (you could probably do this at a jeweller) to see which looks better.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:48:31 AM
Author: Upgradable
Gecko''s suggestion is good, but as long as the setting is made for your stone size. If it''s still large, the white metal will be surrounding the stone kind of nullifying what you''re trying to do with the rose gold prongs.

I''d almost go with having them just plate the bezel and put full rose gold prongs (don''t just have prongs plated) on the ring. Once the stone is set, the bezel is going to be under the stone not getting any wear. Only the prongs will get wear, which is why they should be solid.

As for going with another color head entirely. My personal feeling is absolutely NOT. I''ve had and set several colored diamonds and surrounding them with the white metal and white diamonds makes the color pop MORE!! If you go with a colored gold head you''re going to lose the pink champagne color of that stone into the metal. That''s my opinion and preference however. I hope you love whatever you decide to go with!!

NOw that is what I talking about! Well said! I like the way you think! The diamond looks like it has a touch of pink according to the pics.
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, new dillema. He said since he''s resizing the head for a 5mm stone, it will not have prongs. Therefore, can a jeweler just add solid rose gold prongs to the bezel via soddering? I would assume the jeweler I take it to can also plate the inside as well.

Is that a good option? Do you think it''s doable?

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll stay away from plating. Dear BF''s mother has a yellow gold ring that''s plated white and it started looking patchy when the plating wore off.
14.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was some confusion on the LOGR seller''s part. He thought I wanted strictly a bezel setting with no prongs. I told him I wanted prongs, but solid rose gold, so that''s what he''s going to do. The ring will be made in solid white gold with rose gold prongs. I think it will bring out the pink diamond''s color that way. It''s the same setting that LaurenThePartier just got her OEC diamond set in (see "Show Me the Ring"). I hope it turns out okay. The setting is lovely and he''s making it to fit a 5mm stone.

Thanks for all your tips and responses, it really helped. I think it will look better in white gold with rose gold prongs. The diamond does look very pink.

My goodness, decsions decisions, what''s a girl to do!?
40.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now he changed his mind and is telling me that he cannot cast the rose gold prongs in solid rose gold. He has to make the whole thing in white gold, including the prongs. Can a jeweler sodder solid rose gold prongs in place of the white gold ones. I don''t know of a jeweler in the area that can do that, and I did ask the forum in the Jewelry section, but no one responded. I live in the Chicago area.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results