shape
carat
color
clarity

need your help.. buying one of these two very soon...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tdavis

Rough_Rock
Here are my two choices... please respond with any valuable feedback. I'll be purchasing soon..

Choice one... see first ideal scope pic below... why is the second pic a darker red???

Price: $6,865.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.00
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.4
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 35.1
Crown %: 15.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43.9
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.51-6.53X3.94

Choice two - see second pic below.

Price: $6,902.00
Report: AGS
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.215
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.6
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.7
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin-Medium/Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.95-6.97X4.22

tdavis

Rough_Rock

scope1GIA.jpg

tdavis

Rough_Rock

scop2AGS.jpg

tdavis

Rough_Rock

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa. Check those out. I like #2 better, but those both look like great stones. If you don't mind the color difference, then go with the H and get the bigger stone. I love the 40.7 pavilion angle and the IS image is to die for. That said, #1 is lovely too.
1.gif

I think the difference in color in the IS image is not significant. I've got pics of the same stone that vary slightly depending on the camera settings... Neither of these stones has any kind of significant leakage.

You're probably not getting much feedback because everyone here can tell you already know what you're doing, since you picked out two beauties!
2.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Hi TD Did you look through the stuff on http://www.ideal-scope.com/diamond_cut_excellent.asp
Then check out the medium and bad cut links.

My understanding after reading lots of posts is you compare the color changes within an image but not between images. An IS image is only reflecting the background color used in the machine. Since different vendors have a different set up when they take photos, there is no standard background color or shade of red in the image.

both look like great cuts. I'd run with the H 1.2c since you get more 0.4mm more diameter and with a great cut it'll look white and bright.

alstroemeria

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Just some questions from a novice. Kindly correct my mistakes. Thanks.

#2 seems to be an excellent diamond. I don't see any light leakage and the symmetry of the arrows seems perfect. Is it an example of "EXCELLENT BRILLIANCE - EXCELLENT SYMMETRY"? Does this qualify as H&A?

The arrows on #1 don't look very symmetrical to me. Is it my imagination or that the arrows are quite uneven in size?

I'm also quite surprised by the price difference. Is it due to the color (F against H) or size (1.00 being the nice magic number)?

Lastly, would the slight fluorescence in #2 make the color whiter? I was told that fluorescence in near colorless (G-J) makes it look whiter and brighter and fluorecence in colorless (D-F) would make it less whitish. Is that true?

Thanks in advance!
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'd choose the H stone all day long. The size difference is *markedly* noticeable, and the H will face up beautifully.

On top of that, the cut proportions for the H stone are just *cherry*. Very nice!

I bought an H, SI2 from WF, and there is NO tint at all.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'd buy the bigger one unless you are very color sensitive. Can you see both side by side?

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
You would probably be happier with the H, but your color sensitivity is important.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
People react differently to color, but most people think H stones face up very white. Have you looked at various colors of ideal cut stones? If you don't think you are one of those color sensitive people, I'd definitely go for the second stone. You are getting much more stone for your money. As long as the vendor has a good return policy, you can take a look and decide in person. It looks like a beauty.
9.gif

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/9/2004 11:20:56 AM lop wrote:

People react differently to color, but most people think H stones face up very white. Have you looked at various colors of ideal cut stones? If you don't think you are one of those color sensitive people, I'd definitely go for the second stone. You are getting much more stone for your money. As long as the vendor has a good return policy, you can take a look and decide in person. It looks like a beauty.
9.gif
----------------

Neither me nor my fiancee could tell the difference face up between an E or an H. When you have an ideal cut and see a lot of sparkle face up, you see a myriad of color, and the off white color of the stone is very difficult to notice. Even a side by side face up comparison makes it very difficult. I started noticing color more in a high I and above.

Wacky

Rough_Rock
There can be a big difference between an F and an H. The people who tell you there isn't usually have an H,I or J and like to pretend I looks like a D. Make sure you know what's important to you and don't settle for anythin less.

Wacky

jesrush

Rough_Rock
And likewise... the people who have D-E-F's tend to claim there is an obvious difference between F & H
1.gif

The closest we've ever come to settling this dispute was GIA's blind study where professionals were asked to estimate the color of the diamond they were looking at. The results showed great variance in their estimations and prompted one of the GIA execs to make that infamous statement about how most people (let alone professionals) cannot tell the difference between the top 6 color grades with the naked eye.

Stone #2 looks much more promising.

-jesrush

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/9/2004 11:25:44 AM Wacky wrote:

There can be a big difference between an F and an H. The people who tell you there isn't usually have an H,I or J and like to pretend I looks like a D. Make sure you know what's important to you and don't settle for anythin less.

Wacky----------------

Miss Mouth will have to chime in and say I have an F, G & I stones. Once set, I see little to no perceivable difference in the colors face up. But, I sure can see the *size* difference.

As I stated, can you compare to see if the F premium is worth it to you?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/9/2004 11:39:15 AM jesrush wrote:

And likewise... the people who have D-E-F's tend to claim there is an obvious difference between F & H
1.gif

The closest we've ever come to settling this dispute was GIA's blind study where professionals were asked to estimate the color of the diamond they were looking at. The results showed great variance in their estimations and prompted one of the GIA execs to make that infamous statement about how most people (let alone professionals) cannot tell the difference between the top 6 color grades with the naked eye.

Stone #2 looks much more promising.

-jesrush----------------

Informative and interesting post. I wonder if this would hold true in the larger sizes as I did see a GIA graded (3 c) I with visable color.

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
----------------

Wacky----------------

I don't think most people "pretend" at all. It is true that some people are more color sensitive. I think in rounds, most people can't tell the difference.

When you buy a diamond, I think an argument can be made to not pay for anything you can't see. I personally went out and compared stones side by side, and found that I can only see the difference in *some* I's. I ended up picking an H stone.

It is very easy to spot the color difference of from an E and H from the side. But from the top, it just isn't quite that easy. Granted there are a few people who can tell the difference, but I think it's more rare than you believe.

Wacky

Rough_Rock
Please!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind, too, that you aren't going to be wearing the stone *side-by-side* with another stone....it will be worn alone.

So, even though some small percentage of color-sensitive folks can see the difference between an F and an H *when they are next to one another*, it's unlikely that any difference would be seen once the H is set and worn alone.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------

Wacky----------------

Oh, there SURELY is a big difference between an F and an H.....but's it's not a visual difference. It's a monetary one.
2.gif

I am a proud H owner, and I don't need to pretend a thing. It's not I who mistakes my stone for an F....it's several of the women I work with, who see my stone and think it's an F or G and are STUNNED when they learn it isn't.

I'll keep laughing all the way to the bank (to play with all the cash I saved in choosing the H).
11.gif

gemologic

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would have two concerns

1: how good or bad an H is it, according to Pricescopes report on Labs, "Prices of Diamonds Graded by 3 Different Laboratories"

http://grading.pricescope.com/

theres a hint it would get a G at GIA

and

2. Is the price on the F discounted because it is 1.00ct on the nose (which if very slightly chipped can go way down on the sheet) as opposed to 1.01 - 1.03cts where there is some safety margin for accidents. It is amazing that they could get such a supposedly well cut stone and land at 1ct. I am usually suceptible of exact 1cts etc because they are usually "pushed in the cutting" to get the magic number.

Wacky

Rough_Rock
aljdewey,

You don't have to justify your H to me. But maybe if you bought an E or an F in the first place you wouldn't need to keep reassuring yourself.

Wacky

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/9/2004 12:37:51 PM Wacky wrote:

aljdewey,

You don't have to justify your H to me. But maybe if you bought an E or an F in the first place you wouldn't need to keep reassuring yourself.

Wacky----------------

Wacky, I have an E, which I bought because I was worried about seeing any color. I love my E, but now realize that I could have gone lower in color and still been completely happy. I don't regret having bought an E, but I realize that I could have saved some $$ if I had gone with a lower color.

You can debate this all day long, but how one perceives color is a personal thing. There are many people who are completely happy with an H, so I think he should consider it. However, there is a chance that the H color won't appeal to him, so he should look either at other well cut H stones or this one to decide based on how it looks to him, not how it specs on paper.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------

aljdewey,

Wacky----------------

Ya know what Wacky, we bought an F. My then to be wanted the quality on paper. When the 20th anniv. came around, hubby gave me a budget to get an F. Didn't want it. Couldn't see a difference. I didn't feel the need to pay the premium. And, always felt like we overbought on quality.

Just like Al, I don't have to justify anything. We are just consumers passing on wisdom that the larger H colored stone should be considered. The premium charged on the F visually may not be worth the price in the real viewing world.

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
----------------

aljdewey,

Wacky----------------

I understand that when you are new to diamond shopping, it is hard to get rid of preconcieved notions. The fact that you need to buy a D-E-F stone in order to not get a tinted yellow stone is one of these common myths.

I think that once you actually start seeing some real stones, and start shopping around a little, you will notice it is not so easy to spot the differences in color face up. I think you should try to keep an open mind as you looks at new diamonds... Like most new shoppers, you opinion will probably change after a little bit of shopping.

Wacky

Rough_Rock
New???

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------

aljdewey,

Wacky----------------

That's right - I don't have to justify my H to you or anyone else. Nor was I trying to, but the fact that you think so just reaffirms what I thought about your being incredibly self-absorbed.

I don't need to *reassure* myself either....I am quite happy with what we bought. We bought EXACTLY what we wanted. If I had wanted an F, we'd have bought that...I'd have simply bought smaller or budgeted more.

I know it's hard for those of you in the p*n*s- contest mindset to absorb, but not everyone wants what you want (thank god).

Thanks for the pompous reply, though....it's exactly what I expected.

Wacky

Rough_Rock
Calling the purchase of a colorless diamond a waste is ignorant.. It's a personal preference.

Wacky

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/9/2004 1:02:44 PM Wacky wrote:

Calling the purchase of a colorless diamond a waste is ignorant.. It's a personal preference.

Wacky----------------

There you go, you just hit the nail on the head. Personal preference and personal perception is all that matters. As we have all been saying, most people just can't percieve a difference. It is usually personal preference to not waste money on what you can't see. When I went shopping my fiancee wasn't looking for the biggest stone, she was looking for something that was beautiful. We both understood that with diamonds you can pay a lot for something you will never see. Since we couldn't see any naked eye difference between VVS2 and most SI1's, we went with SI1. We did the same with color. Then we went for whatever size we could afford in an ideal cut we looked at. The result was a cheaper/larger diamond where just below her ability to percieve a difference. This is why some people are happy with I1 stones, and other people aren't. They can't see it, so what do they care?

Obviously the limits set will be different for different people. With a little bit of time and effort you too will eventually discover your sweet spot. Maybe you have very good vision, and need a Vs2 clarity for stones to be eye clean. Maybe you are color sensitive and need an E-F to not see color. Just give it time and you will eventually learn what you need to look for.

cowboy1230

Rough_Rock
Wacky,

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results