shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your experienced opinion: Is this old miner a good purchase?

Sinawayxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
Specs:
F color
1.8 c
Si2
Medium fluorescence

here are pictures of the old mine diamond loose and in a gold and platinum setting. I do love the ring. I just want to get the opinion from people who have more diamond experience. What do you think of the diamond? Is this a good purchase? What would be a fair price for this ring?

thanks!

42B0C855-DEB1-42AB-9841-D610D73F8109.jpeg 72A5D18D-8CA6-4CAC-AE14-7B4EB2754F90.jpeg D690AFC3-1845-40AB-8375-4FB7B2F2AD76.jpeg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
An F color Old Mine Cut in that size is extremely rare. I happen to like the cut of this stone. It is a typical Old Mine Cushion. This is a rare antique diamond due to high color, hence I love it. Make sure you look at it in sunlight so you can see what the fluorescence looks like. Make sure you can tolerate the SI2 grading inclusions. I am personally insensitive to most inclusions but you should decide for yourself what you see.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE a colorless old cut!!

but it's si2, though. clarity grading gives me pause

the fluorescence may impact transparency, causing haziness, oiliness, milkiness. you will be able to determine, if this is the case, by viewing the diamond in uv rich, sunlight. however, usually, the adverse affect is with strong and very strong fluorescence

just for peace of mind, id still want to be sure, i would definitely view in sunlight

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I love omcs. So lucky for you to find a high color omc. I must admit inclusions don't bother me that much. I hope you love it!

In terms of pricing, I just had a look on OWD and the closest match was a 1.53ct F SI2 omc for 11k. Just for a ball park figure plus the setting. Your diamond is bigger so it'll be a bit more.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! :love:

A high color OMC is hard to find and if you love it then I would go for it. I agree with @LightBright to make sure the inclusions don't bother you and that the stone isn't hazy at all (a not common but potential side effect from fluorescence).

Who graded this stone? GIA or EGL or someone else? That makes a difference to re the price. As in comps are only comparable if the grading is comparable.

I agree with @maryjane04 in terms of pricing check out comps on the OWD website as they have a wonderful inventory of old cut stones.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy makes a great point. Due to the rarity of an F color Antique cut, this makes the diamond much more appealing. However the color has to be confirmed with a GIA Report. If it’s a GIA certified person doing an appraisal, or an EGL Report, that changes everything (downwards). GIA Report is the only one I would trust for Validating color.

Sinawayxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all,

thank you so much for your advice and responses! The stone is GIA certified so the color grading is correct. I worry about the haziness of the fluorescence. I thought it was medium, but after looking at the report, it states strong fluorescence. Unfortunately, we haven’t seen it in sunlight- I’m pretty sure this is the stone my partner is purchasing. Hopefully it is not hazy in the sun.

The si2 doesn’t bother me too much either- there’s one tiny inclusion visible from the top, but everything else is around the sides of the diamonds by the prongs so it’s somewhat hidden.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this sounds like something I’d happily study, gaze, salivate over, and give it elevator eyes at for hours on end.

more pictures if and when possible?
:love:
Side view at 90deg and 45deg if I can be so forward and choosy?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
if the gia report indicates that it is: *strong fluorescence*, then i would make a concerted effort to view it in sunlight to determine if transparency is impacted.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Adore this. What a find. I also have a colorless antique stone, it was an SI1, and i didn't care about the clarity relative given the other specs! it feels like such a privilege to have found a stone like it, hope you enjoy this tremendously! it is beautiful

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love the stone and I also love OMCs and OECs. I'm looking for one. I recently posted a thread and I hope you don't mind me piggy backing on this one; because I see some comments from some savvy posters that have posted alot; and I also would like some opinions from some stones I took pictures of! But did you end up buying the stone? Did you set it? Would love to see!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results