shape
carat
color
clarity

Need urgent help w/ Oval (ASET included)

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by pfunk, Jun 14, 2019 at 1:28 PM.

1. pfunk
    Brilliant_Rock

by pfunk » Jun 14, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    Hello everyone. My potential brother in law came to me yesterday asking for help in finding an oval diamond but he is on a huge time crunch and I dont know a lot about ovals. I did a bit of searching and this is one that drew my eye that I liked. Can you take a look at the ASET and video and give me your thoughts. It seems like there is a good amount of white on ASET but I imagine most ovals have that? I will post a link to the stone as well. Budget 24k, 2+ carat, eye clean, G or better color, ratio around 1.35-1.45 (chubbier is preferred). Open to suggestions. oval1.jpg Here is a link to the stone. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.05-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2656166

2. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

OoohShiny likes this.
  3. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Jun 14, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    Ps. I am not a fan of the JA one. It will have a prominent bow tie (I think, from the video).

4. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

by OoohShiny » Jun 14, 2019 at 6:47 PM
    I'm going to contradict you :razz: lol

I think it's pretty good for a 'classic' oval - strong central band, yes, but it doesn't go dark across it head-on and the dark contrast/obstruction facets dance around the stone, rather than being 'all-off' across the central band at the same time :)

It also doesn't 'window' that much at tilt/rotation angles, which is quite rare in ovals, it seems, lol.

I definitely support going with an Elyque Oval from AVInc., though - that would blow a classic oval out of the water in terms of light performance :))

Ss52 and lovedogs like this.

5. pfunk
    Brilliant_Rock

by pfunk » Jun 14, 2019 at 7:01 PM
    Thanks for the input both of you! I’ve sent out an email to Rhino. That AV Oval definitely is of interest. Just a matter of seeing if size (mm) matters more to him (giving up 0.5mm) or if the nice edge to edge brilliance is preferred. I love that Elyque oval, personally.

OoohShiny, lovedogs and AV_ like this.
  6. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Jun 14, 2019 at 8:26 PM
    Appreciate the correction! I'm definitely not an oval expert by any means. All I know is that the Elyque is the best cut oval I've ever seen!

7. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

by OoohShiny » Jun 15, 2019 at 5:43 AM
    There is a youtube video of the AV oval (which might still have been called the Opulence Ovals at the time, before the name was changed) and a classic oval - that would be the easiest way to do a side-by-side comparison if he doesn't want to / hasn't got the time/cash to do one in person! :)

lovedogs and Ss52 like this.
  8. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

by OoohShiny » Jun 15, 2019 at 5:46 AM
    I'm certainly no expert :???: :lol: - I'm happy to be corrected if anyone else is reading who is better with ovals! :D lol

+1 re: the AV ovals though ;-) :))

lovedogs likes this.