shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to find a cleaning solution for everyday use.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SwanSong

Rough_Rock
Hi folks, just wanted to get an idea of what you ladies or memeber''s wives use to clean your setting and diamonds. My fiance would like to clean the ring everyday.

Thanks in Advance.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Swan!
wavey.gif

Diamond Bob covered care issues in one of his "Flashes". You might search the threads for that one. It wasn't too long ago.

A little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid in water, soak, and maybe a gentle brushing a soft brush was one way I've seen mentioned. No brushing on invisible sets tho.

Windex or ammonia diluted with water is another suggestion.

To be on the safe side, don't let anyone but your jeweler use sonic or steam cleaning on any jewelry. Some gemstones, like emeralds, should not be subjected to sonic cleaning or may not tolerate the heat.
1.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Swan!

Yes, pq, dishwash liquid and warm water is best. I have been using this solution for years. Just be careful not to let the rings go down the drain when you take them out...I have heard so many stories as you can imagine
2.gif

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Lesley, for the reminder about the drain!
2.gif

I can only imagine the stories you've heard!
errrr.gif

Abazias

Rough_Rock
Another solution that works really well is half Mr. Clean and half water. It works like a charm.

Felicia

petersone

Rough_Rock
Try using some Veriuni. It works on just about everything. If you need some you can buy it here. I'm a long time user. /www.ezinfocenter.com/8303116">Click Here

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I mix a solutioon of half sudsy ammonia and half water in an empty jewelry cleanser container. (I got a lot of jewelery cleaner from my jeweler.) Very cheap and effective.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
Just use a little dishwashing liquid, warm water and a childs size toothbrush. This also works with windex as stated by another user.. very cheap and very effective and very safe.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I was once told by a master goldsmith to use cleaning solutions without ammonia. He said there is a molecule in the ammonia which combines with a molecule in gold, microscopically eating away at it.

He also said that chlorine in pool water does the same thing. Supposedly both would have to be longterm exposures to create any noticeable damage, but he said why tempt fate?

Do we have any chemists that can corroborate this chemical reaction?

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
----------------
To be on the safe side, don't let anyone but your jeweler use sonic or steam cleaning on any jewelry. Some gemstones, like emeralds, should not be subjected to sonic cleaning or may not tolerate the heat.
----------------
Is there really much of a concern with diamonds in platinum settings? I had thought that the sonic cleaner from (I'm blanking on the store name) that was posted earlier would have been safe. Now I'm curious what the concern is...
confused.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
This was posted at London Gold:

[*]Chlorine can damage and discolor the mounting on your diamond jewelry. Keep your diamond away from chlorine bleach or other household chemicals. Your should also remove your diamond jewelry before entering a chlorinated pool or hot tub.

[*]Clean your diamonds regularly using a commercial jewelry cleaner, a mix of ammonia and water, or a mild detergent. Dip the jewelry into the solution and use a soft brush to dislodge dust or dirt from under the setting.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep a plastic jar with a twisted lid filled with Windex and water under my sink and I just drop my rings into there before I go to sleep and let them soak overnight.
When I am about to leave the house, I take them out, I scrub them with a soft (0-12 month) infant toothbrush, rinse them with warm water and dry them off with tissue or a paper towel.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Windex is my tool of choice! I have it in a small jar with an extremely small wirebrush head...clean it daily..it takes all of a few seconds..and I can reach between the prongs in the head to clean the pavilion which is very key... a regular size toothbrush or even a child did not get in there like this little bottle type brush I have does.

Caution on using something like Windex for non-plat...if you have platinum it should be fine.

2.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
WINDEX all the way...everywhere...

by the way, I'm an actor and I'm pretty sure you have seen
me in the movie "my big fat greek wedding"

Trichrome

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results