shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to be schooled on Blue Sappires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of a RHR project and I LOVE blue sapphires and diamonds together. The problem is I don't know what makes a good sapphire. Can you all give me the do's and don'ts when it comes to blue sapphires? If there is a vendor that you can suggest GREAT! I want to find a great stone for a future project
36.gif

thanks!
35.gif

PS...SORRY FOR THE TYPO ON THE SUBJECT LINE
38.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You want no or heat-only treated natural sapphire.
But what makes a "good" sapphire is somewhat subjective. What the collectors call a "good" sapphire, might not be your ideal sapphire. For example, I actually rather like lighter toned sapphires over the traditionally coveted velvety spectral blue (which my wallet is thankful for).

Generally though, you look for good and even color (not too dark or light, no zoning, and as close to a pure blue as possible), good cut (no windows, good light return/brilliance), good clarity (or at least nothing that would bother you/nothing eye visible).

There are other factors like origin which can affect the price point, but I personally think a beautiful sapphire is a beautiful sapphire regardless of origin.

There are a lot of good vendors mentioned in the sticky on this forum. Like simplysapphires.com.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi annette :)

i''m learning, too, cause i''m thinking about the same project. here are some companies i''ve found, if this helps (these are their names as they appear in their websites...)

dansstarrgems, customgemstones, thenaturalsapphirecompany, precisiongem, wildfishgems, whitesgems, finewatergems

the above companies have all been recommended at some point or another by people on PS.

there''s some great stones here and a wealth of knowledge. and there''s a ZILLION PS threads on this sort of thing (i kinda got overwhelmed, but i''m still plugging away reading)

i have half a dozen little repair/redo/reset type projects i want to do this year - then next year is my sapphire year. so i''m going slow and enjoying the process.

in the end, when i have an idea what i want (looks like a 2-3 ct cornflower cushion cut at this point) i''ll probably just throw myself in the hands of one of the above companies and say ''can you source this?''

i hope this is of some help!

and just to fill you in - had hoped to call you yesterday or today, but my house guest, who was supposed to leave on wednesday, missed her flight and is now with us till next monday. will call tuesday or wednesday when she''s taken off.

good luck with the project and keep us up to date with the direction you take!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 9:19:57 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
You want no or heat-only treated natural sapphire.

But what makes a ''good'' sapphire is somewhat subjective. What the collectors call a ''good'' sapphire, might not be your ideal sapphire. For example, I actually rather like lighter toned sapphires over the traditionally coveted velvety spectral blue (which my wallet is thankful for).

Generally though, you look for good and even color (not too dark or light, no zoning, and as close to a pure blue as possible), good cut (no windows, good light return/brilliance), good clarity (or at least nothing that would bother you/nothing eye visible).

There are other factors like origin which can affect the price point, but I personally think a beautiful sapphire is a beautiful sapphire regardless of origin.

There are a lot of good vendors mentioned in the sticky on this forum. Like simplysapphires.com.

thanks so much! Since I know nothing about sapphires I''m not sure if heated is a bad thing or not. I must read up. If heated is ok and will give me more bang for my buck, I will def. go that way.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 9:30:00 AM
Author: whitby_2773
hi annette :)

i''m learning, too, cause i''m thinking about the same project. here are some companies i''ve found, if this helps (these are their names as they appear in their websites...)

dansstarrgems, customgemstones, thenaturalsapphirecompany, precisiongem, wildfishgems, whitesgems, finewatergems

the above companies have all been recommended at some point or another by people on PS.

there''s some great stones here and a wealth of knowledge. and there''s a ZILLION PS threads on this sort of thing (i kinda got overwhelmed, but i''m still plugging away reading)

i have half a dozen little repair/redo/reset type projects i want to do this year - then next year is my sapphire year. so i''m going slow and enjoying the process.

in the end, when i have an idea what i want (looks like a 2-3 ct cornflower cushion cut at this point) i''ll probably just throw myself in the hands of one of the above companies and say ''can you source this?''

i hope this is of some help!

and just to fill you in - had hoped to call you yesterday or today, but my house guest, who was supposed to leave on wednesday, missed her flight and is now with us till next monday. will call tuesday or wednesday when she''s taken off.

good luck with the project and keep us up to date with the direction you take!

Hey Kareyn!

OMG I want a cushion cut too...maybe it''s a Gemini thing? LOL. Well I''m def. in the research stage and want the cushion cut blue sapphire (around 2.5ct-3ct). THEN I will have a setting made....this will be a gift to myself sometime in the next yr too. I''m hoping to get the sapphire by the end of the year (hopefully) and then start on the setting. I''ve always loved blue sapphires and diamonds. I have 2 rings like this already (small stones)
that Freddy gave me in the early yrs of our relationship. I''m saving them for my daughters and plan on giving them each one for their 16th bday!

Wow...keep me posted on what you are looking for. Seems like we are seeking the same thing and similar projects!

Give me a call when you could..can''t wait to speak to you!

BTW not sure if you saw on the other thread when you mentioned to the ladies about having a NYC get together..I said count me in! I''m always up for food and shopping
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to forget these few as well:
www.diamondexpert.com
www.acstones.com
www.multicolour.com
www.ajsgems.com
GemLine
Awesomegems (although a little pricey)
The first thing you’d want to do is browse all the vendor websites to see what shade of blue you like. Light, medium or dark toned. Pale, medium or vivid eye popping blue saturation. This will also give you a feel of how small sapphires can be, including their relative cost. There is also a good price difference between unheated and gently heated and I usually go for only the gentle heat to maximize my budget. There is no noticeable difference to the naked eye. I refuse to purchase sapphires that have undergone other treatments especially BE.

Once you have found something you think is pretty, come back for additional help and we will try to guide you to the best purchase.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 11:39:01 AM
Author: Chrono
Not to forget these few as well:

www.diamondexpert.com

www.acstones.com

www.multicolour.com

www.ajsgems.com

GemLine

Awesomegems (although a little pricey)

The first thing you’d want to do is browse all the vendor websites to see what shade of blue you like. Light, medium or dark toned. Pale, medium or vivid eye popping blue saturation. This will also give you a feel of how small sapphires can be, including their relative cost. There is also a good price difference between unheated and gently heated and I usually go for only the gentle heat to maximize my budget. There is no noticeable difference to the naked eye. I refuse to purchase sapphires that have undergone other treatments especially BE.

Once you have found something you think is pretty, come back for additional help and we will try to guide you to the best purchase.

Thanks Chrono!! I appreciate the info and tips

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Colour is subjective, but I''d stay away from the overly-dark ones. They look dead and do not sparkle. Since you''re in New York, take a gander around the Diamond District when it re-opens in mid-July to get a sense of what you like.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh man, this will be a fun project. there are so many different hues of blues out there...

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 1:42:18 PM
Author: Harriet
Colour is subjective, but I''d stay away from the overly-dark ones. They look dead and do not sparkle. Since you''re in New York, take a gander around the Diamond District when it re-opens in mid-July to get a sense of what you like.

thanks Harriet..that''s exactly what I want to do..see them in person! I don''t want a blue that''s too dark but not one that''s too light either.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Hi atroop, I''m also shopping for a sapphire and since I live 6 blocks away from the diamond district
31.gif
let me know if you want company to browse through the shops. I don''t know about other people but I find it a little intimidating to go into some of the stores. The salespeople can be really pushy!
Harriet, I didn''t know the Diamond district is closed until mid-July! Do all the jewellers take vaca at the same time?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure, but I suspect most do. A number of exchanges are closed till mid-July. In the interim, check out the Natural History Museum. The Gem Hall has quite an array of sapphires.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
WHAT??? The museum of natural history has a gem collection??? I feel like I''ve been living under a rock!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2009 10:19:55 PM
Author: chiapet
Hi atroop, I''m also shopping for a sapphire and since I live 6 blocks away from the diamond district
31.gif
let me know if you want company to browse through the shops. I don''t know about other people but I find it a little intimidating to go into some of the stores. The salespeople can be really pushy!

Harriet, I didn''t know the Diamond district is closed until mid-July! Do all the jewellers take vaca at the same time?

chiapet I would LOVE the company while shopping for a sapphire. I agree that the jewelers can be very pushy (which I don''t like)...I live downtown (east village)...it would be great to have a shopping buddy!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2009 2:30:43 AM
WHAT??? The museum of natural history has a gem collection??? I feel like I''ve been living under a rock!

LOL don''t feel bad...I feel that way a lot in the city (so much here)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, but it closes at 1pm on weekdays.

If I were you two, I''d poke around the Diamond District to get a sense of the blue I like, but not purchase anything.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, seeing real stones up close is even better than studying pictures. Poke around a lot but leave the money at home.
31.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2009 12:34:02 PM
Author: Harriet

Yes, but it closes at 1pm on weekdays.

If I were you two, I''d poke around the Diamond District to get a sense of the blue I like, but not purchase anything.

yes ITTA..this is exactly what I want to do. Go check out the colors in person and see which I like best. Ohh can''t wait to go for a look

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results