shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Thanksgiving food help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I am going to FI''s family thanksgiving this year, it''ll be the first year ever without my family. I''m okay with that, but there is one problem: I''m a vegetarian and usually my family accomodates my food needs with different stuffings and the like. Since I''m going to a house that puts bacon in the stuffing, I''ve decided to make my own.

Does anyone have any non-meat stuffing ideas? I''m looking for one that is savory with no raisins, cranberries or apples (basically nothing sweet).

Also: since we are the youngest invited, we were put in charge of the bread situation. You can tell how much faith they have entrusted with us.
28.gif
So, what kind of bread should we bring? Any ideas? What kind of rolls would you want?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
check foodnetwork.com for a veggie stuffing recipe. they have a TON of great recipes on there, i have tried a handful.

for bread, my mom brings it and she brings a combo of dinner rolls and croissants. regular dinner rolls, whole wheat or mixed herb onion kind of rolls and then basic croissants from the bakery. that way people have variety.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mara, I was thinking some rosemary rolls and croissants, and I''ll take a look at food network. I''ll probably end up making some dessert, too, since that site is addictive!

premium cut

Rough_Rock
I usually am in the same situation. I usually bring my own food- Veat "turkey breast", my own mashed potatoes and the stuffing below.

1 (8 oz pkg) Peppridge Farm herbed bread cubes
1/2 (4 oz) can Fri- Chick (Worthington Foods) diced or 1.5 (12.5 oz can)
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 eggs
3/4c. hot water
olive oil to saute in
Fri Chick liquid optional.

Saute onion and celery in olive oil until soft and translucent. Combine in large bowl with all remaining ingredients, adding bread cubes last. Place loosely in a 9 X 13 casserole dish (sprayed lightly with cooking spray)- don''t pack too tightly. Bake 45 minutes @ 325. While dressing is baking fry up remaining 1/2 can of Fri-Chick and arrange on top of dressing before serving.

If anyone has any solutions for making this recipe without the eggs it would be really appreciated.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
You can season your stuffing with vegetable broth, and do you like the morningstar line of veggie sausage products? Of course, using herbs like sage & thyme will be tasty too.

I''m with you, I like my stuffing to be savory and not sweet.

dg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 12:22:09 PM
Author: divergrrl
You can season your stuffing with vegetable broth, and do you like the morningstar line of veggie sausage products? Of course, using herbs like sage & thyme will be tasty too.

I''m with you, I like my stuffing to be savory and not sweet.

dg
great ideas DG...also I was going to say you could also add some mushrooms like portabellas in there. veggie broth, the veggie sausage, some mushrooms and walnuts along with butter, celery, onions, fresh sage (a must!!) and i would say that is sounding pretty darn yummy.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
ooooh, yum Mara, you are making me hungry. Good suggestions, you must be working on more coffee than me today. LOL.

Jeannnine

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Great ideas everyone!! While I''m not a morningstar person (I don''t understand why a person who has never eaten meat would want something sausage tasting? But that''s my hangup
20.gif
), I think mushrooms are a MUST!!!! Now, should I make a whole lot, so there is plenty for the family in case they want some, or should I just make enough for me? I don''t want to end up with a ton of stuffing later.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Make enough to share, you never know who might want to try it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 12:47:08 PM
Author: divergrrl
Make enough to share, you never know who might want to try it.

i agree, if someone brought a super yummy veggie stuffing, i''d try it for sure. i''m just a sausage gal so i don''t know that i''d make a whole veggie stuffing but i''d love to eat someone else''s...haha.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Mara, my fiance is a sausage guy, he would eat anything that had sausage in it! I''m definitely going to make good stuffing. Now I wonder if I should bake it at home, and bring it for the dinner that is one to two hours later than the time we arrive. Should I partial bake it then reheat/bake when I get there?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber, from one veg to another, I know the holidays can be tricky! As far as whether to fully heat your stuffing at home vs. your family''s house, I would try to bake it fully at your place and maybe pick up one of those insulated carrier things to keep it warm until dinner is served. Oven space tends to be prime real estate during holiday get-togethers. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Aw, thanks monarch!! I LOVE your icon. I just want to get me a little Daisy baby-dog, too!! Have a happy meatless Thanksgiving!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2006 11:49:56 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Aw, thanks monarch!! I LOVE your icon. I just want to get me a little Daisy baby-dog, too!! Have a happy meatless Thanksgiving!
I know, she''s awfully cute! But she''s starting to come into her personality and it isn''t always sweet, LOL! Right now she''s sleeping on my lap as I type and it''s the first moment all day when I''ve looked at her and thought "sweetness!" Puppies are so much fun, but SO much work! She has been driving all of us, including her big beagle bro, crazy these past few days, but we love her!

Just do what you can for the fam. dinner...no one will probably begrudge you not bringing quite enough stuffing, or whether they like your recipe or not. You can always supplement with a bottle of wine or two if you''re of age as well... My DH and I are among the "youngest" in his fam too, and my MIL always asks us to bring the "drinks." (Which really means wine, lol) I don''t think she likes my southern cooking, and definitely not my vegetarian style!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results