shape
carat
color
clarity

Need stones in ring swapped. Cost outweighing value?

Filigreelover

Rough_Rock
I purchased a solid, 14k yellow gold ring abroad for a great price. It's perfect, prong set 3 stone, only the actual stones are not the gem or colour I'm seeking. I have already found the stones I'd like to replace them with, which are roughly the same size (although the new side stones are pear as opposed to round). The vendor I got the stones from doesn't set them.

All I need is for a jeweller to swap the existing stones for the ones I already possess. A few chain jewellers I've spoken to say they don't really do jobs like that for rings which werent's purchased from them.

The quotes I've received from independent local jewellers are upwards of £50. I do live in London, U.K. but that's a little much for me considering I just want the stones swapped. I didn't expect to encounter this complication.

Is this normal for alterations like this? Is it a more complicated job than I thought, hence the cost?

Can you recommend any London or online jewellers who would be willing to do this for me?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My bench charges minimum $50 Canadian dollars per stone for setting--perhaps it has increased in price as it has been a few years since had this work done. And this doesn't include any $$$ for repairs to prongs or bezel setting/creation.

If you like the ring and plan to wear it a longtime, it might be worthwhile to get a few local estimates and have it done. And FWIW, mailing it to an unknown vendor might not be economical or feasible.

cheers--Sharon

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, unfortunately swapping stones over isn't a matter of bending a prong to remove a stone, replace and re bend to hold it. If the stones aren't exact size and shape the prongs may need re cutting or re aligning. And like any profession, time is money. I just paid $200 to have one single round gem set in a brand new setting I provided.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
As Bron said, just swapping the stones isn't that simple unless you have exactly the same size.
Even then when the stones are set the ring is usually covered in shellac and set in a clamp so that it doesn't bend out of shape when the claws are pushed around, then it goes into a methylated spirits bath to clean, then polished and then cleaned again.
Add to that the time spent serving you before and after the actual work, the cost of running a business in the local market place as apposed to online third world supplier, any inherent warranty implied on the work now done, any applicable tax, and the risk of damage to the stones and ring you have supplied.
You also want to put pointed pear shape stones in a round hole.

Try in Hatton Garden, there are plenty of manufacturing jewellers, but be realistic about the costs with what is involved.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler in the US East coast would charge $100-200 assuming the prongs did not need to be replaced, reshaped or retipped.

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
I was quoted a $60 to $70 wholesale rate, for an uncomlicated setting, of my stone into their semi-mount by a vendor in the US. A retail markup of at least 50% could be expected if going through a retail jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results