shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some shag rug advice! (Thomasville from Costco... ?)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For reasons I don't really understand I'm just enamored of the idea of getting a big shag rug for under my bed! Of course once I get it laid out and really look at it I may very well ixnay the idea, so buying it at Costco is good because I can take it back (translation: say to the CB, um, honey, would you take this thing back?!).

Here is a link from the site, and I *think* it's the same one they have in the store based on the colors, but the 7'10" x 10' on the site is $319 and it's only $179 in the store (after rebate). http://www.costco.com/Thomasville%e2%84%a2-Marketplace%c2%ae-Luxury-Machine-Made-Shag-Rug-.product.100034440.html

My hesitation though (OK, aside from the fact that it seems very 1970s, which is a decade I have sworn over and over never to relive!) is how to clean the thing...? I mean, does a regular vacuum really work on long(ish) shag? What about the roller? Would that ruin the "yarns" (I'm sure there's a more appropriate word -- fibers maybe?)? Does stuff get trapped down in there forever... ?!? :-o

I also have some color indecision because the floor, bed frame and bed spread are all dark brown. My initial inclination is to get the dark rug so the whole bedroom area "disappears" (I live in one open space and the bedroom is visible from the whole place) or go with the tan sort of color to provide some sort of contrast. I can post a pic if that might be helpful to anyone.

Anyway, if anyone has some shag advice, and/or if you happen to have seen this rug and Costco I would love to hear your input!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Need some shag rug advice! (Thomasville from Costco... ?

With the number of cats I have I was looking for the perfect rug. I thought I had found it in a shag rug in our living room.

We have a good vacuum. And our cleaning service has a better one.

We eat at the coffee table.

So when after 2 years of having the rug down, I decided to beat it and shake it out I was absolutely horrified by how much crap it had retained.

Now, you are talking about a bedroom. I think it would be fine in a bedroom.

But they are hard to keep clean enough.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

When we moved into our house I bought the softest, plushiest shag area rug for the living room. Then I realized I couldn't use my upright vacuum cleaner on it and called a vacuum specialty store to ask what I should use. He basically said they are the worst to clean because you can't use anything with a roller, which acts to stir up the rug fibers to loosen the dirt, dust and junk so the suction can suck it away. You disable the roller or use one without it and it doesn't get the rug very clean. Probably bad if you have pets or allergies. We have a golden retriever that sheds like crazy so yup....my hubby strapped it onto the car and drove it back to Crate and Barrel. Bless his heart :saint: . The vacuum guy was like, "I don't know why shag rugs are back in style because they are such a pita." Sigh, it really was an awesome area rug.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock

We have had wool shag rugs the last few years and regular vacuuming it with our Dyson worked like a charm. The rug was in our living room, we don't wear shoes in the house and we don't eat in that area so it was easy to keep clean. We do have 2 cats but it was never a problem. With ours being wool, it would shed so I had to clean out the Dyson quite a bit. But the shag never got stuck in the vacuum. When we moved into our new house I ended up replacing the shag with a low profile Kilim style rug, mainly because we bought a Neato vacuum for daily cat hair sucking ;-) and the Neato would get stuck on the shag rug. The Neato now glides right over our new rug and works great. I do miss the soft fluffy shag though, they are nice to have :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have no experience with shag rugs but a friend of mine does. She has repeatedly said they are a nightmare. This woman has no children or animals but made the same comments Gypsy made above. She feels it has had an impact on her allergies as well. She thinks dust gets trapped in the rug and stays there forever. For what it's worth my friend is also a clean freak who vacuums a couple times per week.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had a very cheap shagrug in my bedroom when I was younger. It held an ungodly amount of things and vacuuming it was annoying. Being cheap it would pulls strings out as I vacuumed

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I agree with most of the posters above. They are harder to maintain and stuff collects easily. And now I'm really going to date myself here. When I was a kid shag rugs were really in style and our whole house was wall to wall green shag (could have been worse, it came in orange too!) I had to vacuum, and then I had to get the garden rake bought just for indoors and rake all the carpet to fluff it up. Everyone did it then :lol:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have one of the Costco ones in our house in FL in the family room. I love it and have had no problems with it yet.

dsc_3165.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

I have a shag area rug under a leather chaise in our master bedroom. It has a long fibre, looks very chic and I love it. It is a light color therefore is a dirt magnet. I vacuum it using my dyson hand-held--and the long narrow attachment so nothing pulls. I spot clean where necessary--more than a few red wine stains! (from my husband......of course) :bigsmile:

No regrets.

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just as an fyi I have since then found the perfect rug. Patchwork cowhide. Awesome.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

Awww...green shag rug...brings back memories of my childhood bedroom. 8-)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry to go MIA on my own thread (I have a bad habit of that!).

I think I'm going to get one each color and see which I like better.

Gypsy, I've already got three cow hides in my living room (under the coffee tables) so I don't feel like I should do more cows in the bedroom. Would kind of become pasture-esque in my house!

Catmom, thank you for posting that pic! That looks like the tan color... or is it the cream?

JDDN, one of my best friends just got a big plush shag rug from Crate & Barrel and that is part of what's fueling my love right now!

Asscher_girl, I've been lusting over a Roomba or something like that for a while now (I actually did a thread on the topic a bit ago). I do worry about my rugs though--I've got the cows like I mentioned, a sheepskin, and some really good oriental rugs with tassels so I'm not sure...

Callie, interesting point abt the allergies. I get seasonal allergies but I don't *think* I'm impacted by dust or other house-type things. Maybe I would be with this?

Niel, I read through all the reviews for shedding and loose threads and I don't see that as a big complaint so maybe this one would be OK...?

kmarla and Sky, we must be of similar age then because shag was All The Rage when I was a kid!

Canuk, wine stains on the rug -- I resemble that remark!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay|1452701711|3975425 said:
Sorry to go MIA on my own thread (I have a bad habit of that!).

I think I'm going to get one each color and see which I like better.

Gypsy, I've already got three cow hides in my living room (under the coffee tables) so I don't feel like I should do more cows in the bedroom. Would kind of become pasture-esque in my house!

Catmom, thank you for posting that pic! That looks like the tan color... or is it the cream?

It's the cream and tan one.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have a shag rug under the dining room table. Thankfully we don't have kids...lol But it gets very very gross after about a year, to which we send it out to get cleaned. Its vanilla colored, purchased at the big orange box store in 2006 for 99 bucks. Its huge, 8' x 11' , never see them there anymore.

I unfortunately really love this rug and it goes well with our decor.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a big shag rug in our family room. (11 x 14) It is a light creamy yellow toned beige. I did not purchase it as an rug but as a piece of carpet. I had the edges softly scalloped. I have it cleaned professionally quite often and I also own my own machine. It shows dirt quite easily and the shag makes it a bit difficult to get fully clean. In a bedroom, it wouldn't get nearly as dirty. I have had it at least twelve years. My kids have always eaten in front of the tv and that area gets a lot of traffic. I have thought about replacing it buy my family loves it. It adds a nice texture and softness against my tile floor. I think it would be lovely in a bedroom and wouldn't hesitate. Cleaning just this rug is usually about $50 for me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee I haven't read anybody's responses yet but I would caution you against a shag rug. I love the look (having been a 70s child of course I do) and grew up with a purple shag rug in my bedroom. BUT I didn't have any allergies at that time. Be cautious because under your bed will also be tougher to vacuum thoroughly and keep clean and free of dust mites and other potential allergens. Even if you dont have allergies now it is not uncommon to develop them later in life. I did.

Anyway good luck and whatever you decide I hope you love it. So much fun decorating and changing things around. I am going to need your help with our beach house please. I want to redo the whole living room and would love your opinion.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have one of the Costco ones in our house in FL in the family room. I love it and have had no problems with it yet.

dsc_3165.jpg

I love this rug Catmom and it looks great in your beautiful room! And that is exactly the couch we want to get for our beach house! OMG I cannot believe it. We were just shopping this weekend and I saw a similar couch. Yours is gorgeous. Do you mind sharing where you got this couch? Love it!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey kids! This is actually an old thread from about two years ago that got reactivated. I did get the shag rug from Costco and it's worked out pretty well! I'm a vacuuming fiend, but I do think about the stuff under the bed that I can't reach... ugh. That would be the case with any rug under the bed though, so I just decided to live with it. I also got a second smaller shag from Costco to go by two chairs and trunk that I have in the living room. That one's a little easier to clean just because of the furniture configuration (i.e., not having a bed on top of it).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey kids! This is actually an old thread from about two years ago that got reactivated. I did get the shag rug from Costco and it's worked out pretty well! I'm a vacuuming fiend, but I do think about the stuff under the bed that I can't reach... ugh. That would be the case with any rug under the bed though, so I just decided to live with it. I also got a second smaller shag from Costco to go by two chairs and trunk that I have in the living room. That one's a little easier to clean just because of the furniture configuration (i.e., not having a bed on top of it).

Oops. :oops2:

:lol::lol::lol:

Glad it’s working out well for you Dee!

@Catmom, I’m still interested in hearing more about your beautiful couch if you don’t mind sharing. Thanks.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this rug Catmom and it looks great in your beautiful room! And that is exactly the couch we want to get for our beach house! OMG I cannot believe it. We were just shopping this weekend and I saw a similar couch. Yours is gorgeous. Do you mind sharing where you got this couch? Love it!

Thanks Missy. While I absolutely loved the style of this couch I could never recommend it to anyone. It's since been replaced because it was bonded leather and it started splitting and peeling. Now granted it was cheap which is what we were looking for when we first got this house. You get what you pay for, lol. This is our new couch and new rug. It looks and feels like leather but is really some kind of material and can't split It was really hard to find a white couch much less one just like our old one. This one is as close as we could find. More on the cream side and not quite the same style.

IMG_3119[1].jpg
IMG_3118[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3119[1].jpg
    IMG_3119[1].jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 35

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy. While I absolutely loved the style of this couch I could never recommend it to anyone. It's since been replaced because it was bonded leather and it started splitting and peeling. Now granted it was cheap which is what we were looking for when we first got this house. You get what you pay for, lol. This is our new couch and new rug. It looks and feels like leather but is really some kind of material and can't split It was really hard to find a white couch much less one just like our old one. This one is as close as we could find. More on the cream side and not quite the same style.

IMG_3119[1].jpg
IMG_3118[1].jpg

Thanks so much for the info Catmom. Yes I remember that could be an issue with white leather. I am trying to find the perfect white couch sectional and love seat for our beach house and prefer something the cats won't destroy in a hot minute lol. I am definitely interested in finding the name of that material that doesn't split and peel and sounds like it could be kitty resistant too.

Your new couch and rug look gorgeous! Very luxurious. Love it.:love:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the info Catmom. Yes I remember that could be an issue with white leather. I am trying to find the perfect white couch sectional and love seat for our beach house and prefer something the cats won't destroy in a hot minute lol. I am definitely interested in finding the name of that material that doesn't split and peel and sounds like it could be kitty resistant too.

Your new couch and rug look gorgeous! Very luxurious. Love it.:love:

Thanks! It's actually called microfiber leather and it's a form of microfiber. I currently have 4 cats so I can speak to kitty issues. :lol: My leather couches were totally destroyed by my cats so anything leather is a big no for us. The only thing that has really held up for me is microfiber. It doesn't seem to catch in their claws and they don't bother it. If I need a new couch in the future up north I will try this microfiber leather. I have it in FL where there are no cats so can't speak to how it would hold up with cats. Good luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! It's actually called microfiber leather and it's a form of microfiber. I currently have 4 cats so I can speak to kitty issues. :lol: My leather couches were totally destroyed by my cats so anything leather is a big no for us. The only thing that has really held up for me is microfiber. It doesn't seem to catch in their claws and they don't bother it. If I need a new couch in the future up north I will try this microfiber leather. I have it in FL where there are no cats so can't speak to how it would hold up with cats. Good luck!

Perfect, thank you! We have 4 kitties too. Though we might add another. So many rescues needing homes. Breaks our heart. It would be great to find a cat proof sofa. We’ve gone through quite a number of sofas etc. Those innocent :halo: #notsoinnocent :devil: kitties. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results