shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some opinions on a Pink Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TForce95

Rough_Rock
Hello all.

I am back for round two of my pink Sapphire search. Round one was back in April when I had decided to propose to my girlfriend (now fiancé. YEAH!!). I wanted to get her a nice, big, pink sapphire e-ring, but knowing nothing about what to look for I came to PS for help. Luckily for me I did come here, because the three stones I thought were good were frowned on, and after the explanations I understood why. At that time though I wasn’t in a hurry, so it gave me time to continue looking. First search - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lost-guy-needs-e-ring-help-what-else-is-new.112656/

Fast forward a couple of months, and here we are. I’ve continued to look around for a stone, and enlisted the help of a well respected jeweler to look as well (Jeff White – I really like his work), but nice stones around 2.5 cts are hard to come by. I couldn’t wait any longer to propose though, so when I did I gave my girlfriend a simple pink sapphires and diamonds band. Since then, we (in engagement speaking we means she
2.gif
) decided let’s spend more on the honeymoon, and a smaller ring is just fine (God I love her). So we’ve knocked the search down to 1.5 cts in size, and decided to include round stones (originally we were looking for princess/cushion cut stones).

Stones are still tough to come by, but I did spot this on AJSGems. It looks like a really good stone to me, but I need some expert eyes on it. It’s a pretty good size and a decent color pink, so could it be the one? Thanks for the help! And hope the links work. I did get some pics of the side and bottom of the stone, and if I ever figure out how to post them I will
33.gif

http://www.ajsgems.com/pink-sapphire/gemstone-sapphire-2049211104-2046340414.html

-TForce

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like its a pretty color, but there may also be a window. I''m sure someone else will chime in....

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the color matches what I see on the screen; it would be a real beauty in my book. It might have a small window but not too bad.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The color is nice, and so is the fact that it is round (which is a harder shape to find). I agree with the others, it might have a small window, but it it did, I don''t think it would take away from the beauty of the stone, especially once it was set. The other nice thing is that it does not appear too dark, so you could pick from a variety of setting without worrying about the stone becoming too dark.

TForce95

Rough_Rock
Well, I''m agreeing with what you all are saying. I thought it was a good looking stone, but was wondering if it looked a little murky from these pics (that I''m going to post), or if it was just so clear that it was just looking through to the other side of it. Here are the pics of the side and bottom of the stone. Hope this works
21.gif

PinkSapphireSide.jpg

TForce95

Rough_Rock
And here is the bottom of the stone. I''ve searched PS, and AJS seems like it''s had some good contact with other members. I might just have to jump on this one.

PinkSapphireTop.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert, but comparing this to some other vendors it seems kind of expensive. For example, take a look at THIS. I know it''s not the exact same shade (but it''s very close) and that this stone isn''t round and is slightly included; but it''s about the same size, color, and treatment for less than a quarter of the price! That seems like quite a difference to me.

P. S. The stone I posted is indeed poorly cut, but even after a recut it''d still be way cheaper.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The colour looks very saturated which I like. Do you have the measurements of the stone? The cutting looks decent as well.

Mr Ma Re,
While the colour of the MC stone might look similar, the saturation is very light. Per their GIA rating, it is 5/2 meaning the tone is medium but saturation is lacking, hence the large price difference. I’m sure if the the saturation is beefed up to a 4, the price will go up accordingly. The other advantage of going with AJS is the ease of return should that be needed. Their stone can be returned to the US whereas MC’s stone has to be shipped uninsured (per their instruction) to Thailand.
I also noticed that many precision cutters are no longer recutting outside stones too due to the risk involved.
39.gif

TForce95

Rough_Rock

All I have are the measurements from the website (7.6mm round, 4.6mm deep, 2.12 cts in size). Are there some other types of measurements that I should be asking them about?

From my inexperienced eye, I thought the color looked strong and the cut looked good. As I said earlier, this would be for an e-ring, most likely in a prong setting, so it should be able to get plenty of light.

Thanks for all the help! It''s getting closer and closer to "pull the trigger" time. If i could get over my nerves
23.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
AJS is a good dealer so what you see is what you will get. that is good that you come here for an opinion as the ladies on this forum have well informed opinions and are pretty darn experienced when picking gems..LOL... I like the color and the cut looks good to me...I say go for it.....

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The other pictures don't change my opinion. The color looks even, and the cutlet is centered. I think it is a nice stone.

ETA: You don't need to ask for other measurements, the depth percentage is 61%, which is on the shallow end of what I consider the accecptable range for a sapphire. That would explain the possibility of a small window, but you get a larger spread as a tradeoff.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in agreement with Firecracker. It is a little shallow which probably is why we are seeing the small window but the colour looks good and I don''t see zoning. If set in something more enclosed, the window will not be as apparent to the eye.

TForce95

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help. After my last attempt at looking for stones, when I was soundly told "don''t buy those", I''m really glad to have stumbled across this one. My fiance loves the band I gave her, and said it''s good enough for her, but I really want to give her something special. I honestly think she will freak (in a good way
30.gif
) when she sees this stone. I know roughly what kind of setting we would like (halo style), so now it''s on to that part of the search.

Thanks again. Pics will come once it''s set
1.gif

-TForce

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results