shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some last-minute advice re: H&A purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HBG

Rough_Rock
I'm considering buying a H&A 1.33 G VVS2, 60.2d 56t, ex/ex, no cu/no fl, 7.15 x 7.17 x 4.32. I am supposed to get a Sarin analysis tomorrow. It is not Whiteflash's branded H&A but they say they have had very good experiences with the manufacturer, who has told them it's a beautiful cut with a good H&A pattern, though with some cleavage in the hearts and slightly imperfect arrows as well. Price will probably be in the neighborhood of $9000. Any thoughts? Is the price right? Am I losing a lot in performance compared to a perfect H&A pattern (or an Eight Star or a Hearts of Fire?) Is it true that an H&A of this kind will look whiter than a G because of the brilliance of the cut (and if so, is it equivalent to an F, an E, or what)? Thanks for any insights.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
HBG, welcome to the forum!

Price sounds inline with AGS0 graded stones.

There is an argument of course whether a diamond can be called true H&A if it doesn't have a perfect pattern. :)

Proportions look good - you are probably getting very nice stone.

Some people say that ideal cut stone look whiter face up because they reflect more light. At any rate G color is already very white so you don't have to worry about it.

Good luck and tell us how it’ll work out for you.

HBG

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response, Leonid. In your opinion, what is the performance difference between a near-H&A like this one and a perfect H&A, if any? (I understand that a lot of it is in the eye of the beholder, but there are some objective measures, such as the "firescope," and there must be some generalizations that can be made.) I hope you're able to respond -- I have read some of your postings in other threads & you seem to be both knowledgeable & circumspect in your advice. Many thanks--

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
I understand that a lot of it is in the eye of the beholder,...
----------------

This is Alpha and Omega, HBG. Some people prefer brighter stones while other might like darker but fiery diamonds.

Some people can see difference, some don't. There are no straight forward answers.

Some people want to have something special and unique and don't mind to spend extra $ while other are more pragmatic.

----------------
...but there are some objective measures, such as the "firescope" and there must be some generalizations that can be made.
----------------

Generally speaking, there is no guarantee that you will like a stone with perfect firescope image more than one with some visible light leakage.

Price and Size of a diamond should also be included into the formula when you calculate Attractiveness. :)

Hope it makes sence.

HBG

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

biscuit

Rough_Rock
HGB -

Just so you know, Hearts and Arrows is a *type* of symmetry, but there are other cuts that are just as symmetrical. If you go to the PriceScope tutorial, you will notice that it admits that H&A symmetry can not be observed with the naked eye...it also notes that one would buy pay the H&A premium for primarily emotional reasons. An AGS graded rock with ideal symmetry will be just as symmetrical as an AGS graded rock with ideal H&A symmetry...and please note that symmetry is only one of MANY factors that go into making a diamond reflect light...the angle that the facets are cut are many times more important than symmetry. It is very possible to find a non-H&A rock that is more brilliant that an H&A...and it's possible that you'd pay a chunk less.

With that said, it is possible to find the occaisional H&A that is a deal in comparision with non H&A'sl! The rock I bought my fiance was an H&A, but it was priced like a non-H&A so I went for it. So if you've got one that you love or is a steal or if H&A is important to you, go for it! Have fun!

biscuit
:praise:

wade_44

Rough_Rock
Biscuit,
Where did find the good deal on your diamond?

biscuit

Rough_Rock
wade_44!

I looked around for months, and finally decided to do business with Jan & Brad down at Diamond Brokers of Florida. I spoke personally with many of the business owners that advertise here and on DiamondTalk, and found Jan&Brad's willingness to walk me through the purchase by far the best, and their selection better. I'll tell you why...

A. I used to be in sales, and can see a pitch from a mile away...I also know when sales people are turning up the heat to speed up the sale. I experienced this with a few reputable dealers out here, and just wasn't willing to hurry on such an important purchase. Jan was always really low key, and fielded a bizillion calls and emails - never pressured me. They also visually inspected the rock before shipping it - I had a few personal requirements...it's interesting, but some of the dealers out here don't even look at the rocks before shipping them to the consumer, so they can cut corners.

B. I knew I didn't want to pay more money just to get a branded rock. I know, I know, everyone seems to think branded rocks are the next greatest thing, but most oldtimers see them as a fad, and some grading labs will actually consider the branding an inclusion. And, bottom line, branded rocks cost more. Jan & Brad deal in non-branded ideals, exactly what I wanted. My stone is *ABSOLUTELY* stunning...a great AGS 000 ideal - H&A for kicks...like I said in other posts, it outperformed the best rocks in three local stores when I was looking for a place to get it set.

In the end, I got the rock appraised and it's valued at around 175% of what I paid for it. The appraiser even said she thought the rock could have been graded a clarity grade higher, it's inclusions were so small.

If you've read my posts, you know I went a little psycho in doing my diamond research...this process meant a lot to me. I wouldn't have bought out here if I didn't feel comfortable with the internet, and I wouldn't have bought with a specific dealer if I didn't feel comfortable with their services. I'm sure that numerous dealers out here are reputable, but in the end I found Jan&Brad to be the least pressure oriented and most friendly. Hope that helps!

Have fun!!:praise:

biscuit

Rough_Rock
By the way...

their website...

www.diamondbrokersoffl.com

check 'em out :)

wade_44

Rough_Rock
Biscuit,
Thanks for the reply. I am in a similar situation as you were. I want to buy a diamond within the next 6 months, and I want to make the right decision. I don't want to be rushed. I will look at Jan's site more closely.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results