shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some last minute advice before ordering from WF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaineVette

Rough_Rock
Ok, so after a bit of searching and endless comparisions, I think I''ve decided on a 0.9 ct H VS2 Whiteflash ACA diamond in a classic white gold setting with a platinum head.

I''m planning to contact WF to ask for a few details, and thought I''d check in here to ensure I have my bases covered. What are some of the questions I should be asking before making such a purchase? I plan to ask if the diamond is eye clean, and also what their definition of eye clean is, but what else? Should I ask for an appraisal? This seems like a good idea, but I''m not sure I trust an appraiser ''of their choice''.

Also, I have no clue what ring size my girlfriend is. I''ve scoured our room for rings but she''s not a big ring person. What should I do? Can these be easily resized locally if needed?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks again for the help. All the advice you folks have given me already has really helped me along!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
First...Call them ASAP and reserve the diamond so someone else doesn''t get it! That size/color/clarity combo is very desirable and hard to come by.

Regarding sizing, you could recruit one of her girlfriends to take her to a jewelry store and try on various rings, getting her size in the process. Also, I think your WF warranty or something is voided if you have another jeweler work on it. Best to ask them.

Also, a VS2 (AGS graded as all ACAs are) is virtually guaranteed to be eye-clean. It doesn''t hurt to ask, but I''d be extremely surprised if it weren''t.

For appraisals, they sent my ring to a local appraiser for $75 before it went out to us. Honestly, you could probably just go with the letter of verification that comes with the ring, because WF''s diamonds are reliably graded and precisely cut. They have such a great reputation that I wouldn''t hesitate to take the ring unappraised.

MaineVette

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips. My wondering about the appraisal isn''t because I don''t trust the certs on WF, instead I''m wondering if I should get one for insurance purposes?

I think my GF would get wise pretty quick if one of her friends dragged her into a jewelry store, it would be very unlike them.

I''ve been plotting ''clever'' ideas for getting her finger diameter measured and think I may have come up with one... This sounds silly but I think it''ll work.... This weekend we''re babysitting some friends kids who are fairly young. While they''re here I''m going to suggest making some finger puppets to entertain them. I figure we can make the bodies for the puppets by wrapping pieces of paper around our fingers (basically rolling the paper into a little tube for each finger). When we make the one for her ring finger (yes, we''ll have to make many of them) I''ll make sure the fit is fairly close. Once we''re done I''ll sneak the ''ring'' puppet away and make a measurement. It sounds silly, and I''m not crazy about making dozens of finger puppets, but it should at least get me in a reasonable ballpark.
9.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Cute idea with the finger puppets! I think you can print out a ring sizer from Blue Nile that you can line up with the paper and estimate the size. The one caution I have is that some people have large knuckles (like myself), and the size of the finger where the ring sits (and where you may be measuring the finger puppet paper from) is smaller than the size at the knuckle. But the ring has to be sized large enough to fit over the knuckle. My rings for example are a 6.75 to fit over the knuckle, but they're loose enough to spin around my finger when they're on.

ETA: The other thing you could do is get just the diamond, propose to her with the diamond in a temporary holder, and go to a jewelry store with her the next day to find a setting. You could tell her you have a specific one in mind but weren't sure of her size. Or you could let her choose. I'm a big fan of that because I picked out my own engagement ring.

Also...of the 2 diamonds I have from WF, one has the appraisal (my e-ring) and the other has the letter of verification (my pendant). The LOV does include estimated retail value, and it comes from the same appraiser as the full appraisal. The difference is that the appraisal is a little more detailed, including pictures. It also mentions color and clarity, while the LOV does not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results