shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help with my hair please!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine hair, it an be a PIA! Well I recently cut 8 inches off so I could donate it, I had to cut it shorter than I really wanted to reach the minimum length. Up until now I've just been wearing it up but now I don't have that option so I need some help. I'm going to a baby shower and church Sunday so I need to do my hair so it will get through the whole day and not go flat. It also seams oiler than normal even though I haven't changed my shampoo or conditioner.

Anyone have a product they love?

I don't normally put anything in my hair but I'll need something for Sunday.

Here is a pic of the new hair, this was the day it was cut and styled, I've gotten it to look close but I'm open to any and all suggestions on what to do with it! :read:

_6291.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephanie, how about wearing your hair back? That can always look pulled together and smart. And easy too.

I use Giovanni hair products and I have fine hair too. Tea tree oil shampoo and moisturizing conditioner. No sulfates etc. HTH.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray
http://www.oribe.com/dry-texturizing-spray.html...

It's very easy to use. Just blow dry your hair first, almost completely dry. Then you part your hair in the middle, spray along the parting, make a new parting, spray, etc. And a few sprays in the hair in general. Comb through and blow dry completely dry.

http://www.oribe.com/films

If it was me, I would have made a few curls with a curling wand ;-) Then shake your head, and finish with a bit more spray :bigsmile:

Should leave you looking like this :)

curling-iron-easy-hairstyles-for-medium-hair.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair is very fine too (although I have a ton of it) and I find mousse helps. I put a golf ball sided amount in my hair when it's wet (you might need more since your hair is longer than mine, I've got a super short pixie) and blow dry it upside down. I also find if I use the curling iron on the ends it stays better if I've used mousse first.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, I actually think you have great hair! And I think that's a good length for you.

My hair is not really fine but not as thick as it used to be. I second the texturing spray either alone and after using a wand on your hair. It'll give you lift without looking like your hair is teased or fuzzy. And it's easy to refresh throughout the day. If I blow dry my hair I find that using a big round brush and blow drying everything forward helps with volume too.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fine hair chick here :wavey: Your question, I like Aubrey shampoos, the one with protein in it, specifically. I also like the rose oil shampoo. Try Amazon for them. I also like Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Shampoo; they have their own website and you can also buy it at Target, Nordie's, and Sephora. I like the Full Volume Blast spray that is brand new at Living Proof, and its won lots of awards from the beauty mags and experts and is just what fine hair needs; looking at your hair I think this would work for you. I like your cut, BTW, looks good on you.

What I've learned for fine hair:
1. NEVER EVER can your hair be cut with the razor scissors. FRIZZBOMB if so. Make the hair stylist CONFIRM that the scissors are not razor scissors.
2. Fine hair does not look good with too much layering. The layering that works with fine hair is not extreme, meaning long hair overall with tons of layers that can be as short as around your chin or ears. Layering for fine hair needs to be done around the bottom of the cut pretty much.
3. Fine hair cannot take products with too much silicone or moisturizers like argan oil, Moroccan oil, etc. It will just weight your hair down.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest the same style Scandi posted. I'm also a fine and thin hair girl. Poor Missy and Kristie have had to listen to me complain about hair for years now. I can not agree more with Kristie about never letting any stylist using a razor. Worst thing EVER for your hair texture.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any dry shampoo should do the trick. Just make sure your hair is 100% dry before putting it in. It will help keep the style and keep your hair fluffy and not greasy. My personal favourite is cake brand, but its a powder not a spray. Lots of folks I know rave about batisse original, its an aerosol style.

I think this is a nice cut for you! The best thing about short hair is how quick it is to curl! So if you are up to curling, I'd totally rec that.

If you want your hair out of your face a bit, #2 is nice.

hair1.jpg

_38604.jpg

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I like your hair! I think it could use a tiny bit more body, though. I have recently become a fan of velcro rollers for this purpose. I got a set at Target for about $8. As I finish drying a section, I roll it into the velcro rollers and let it sit there for as long as possible while I'm getting ready. When I take it out, I have more body (my hair is pretty long right now, so the weight otherwise just pulls it flat to my head). Another alternative would be washing and drying your hair the day before, then freshening it up with dry shampoo and a quick shot from the blowdryer the next day. I have a shower cap for this purpose, so that I can shower without having to re-do my hair. A lot of people notice that their second day hair is actually their best.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't do my own hair, so if there is a special occasion, I go to my local salon and ask for a "swingy blowout". They usually put the crown in velcro rollers while attacking the rest of my mane with a round boar bristle brush and blowdryer. It lasts!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1479395053|4099751 said:
Stephanie, how about wearing your hair back? That can always look pulled together and smart. And easy too.

I use Giovanni hair products and I have fine hair too. Tea tree oil shampoo and moisturizing conditioner. No sulfates etc. HTH.
I think that the Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo is the same as Giovanni's, but half price.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like velcro rollers too, particularly for crown height and volume at the front of my face. Just one thing to keep in mind, you want to be careful how much you're using them, they are pretty bad for hair loss!!! I was using them every day when I was still blow drying and styling my hair for work.

My favorite is still hot rollers. Love them.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine hair chick here... Got lots of it, but the actual hair is fine.

For oiliness near the scalp, I love to use Batiste dry shampoo (I have blonde hair, so I get the blonde tinted one -- but they have a brunette version as well). It really works and adds a bit of body. I've noticed that my hair styles better if it's a little dirty. I can go about 4 days without washing my hair if I use Batiste. The last couple of days require wearing my hair up though... 8) :bigsmile:

https://www.amazon.com/Batiste-Shampoo-Clean-Classic-6-76/dp/B00TB00I0C?th=1

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are the bomb diggity, thanks for all your helpful suggestions!

Missy- I LOVE Giovanni products, especially their tea tree products and luckily we have a health food store right in town and they have good sales. I'm especially trying to avoid chemicals in products since my son had a horrible reaction recently.

Scandinavian- I am so trying that hairstyle you posted, super cute and sounds easy enough.

Dee*Jay- I envy your amount of hair and a pixie cut, I would love short hair like that but the husband is not a fan and he gets a little input ;))

Puppmom- I think I'm just still adjusting to the new length because it was a big change. I don't have a wand but maybe a curling iron would work? The only "tools" I have at hand are a blow dryer, round brush, steam rollers and a small barrel curling iron, I wonder if that would work

Azstonie- Thank you for all the product recommendations. I'm currently using a clarifying lemon conditioner from Avalon Organics but it reminds me of Pledge :rolleyes: So I'm going to check out the Aubrey line when I go to the store. I have used their products in the past and love them. Might need to buy some Velcro rollers too since those were suggested more than once.

Calliecake- You know the funny thing is that there are probably people who would want our hair! I am going to try that hairstyle that you and Scandinavian suggested. Love that.

Telephone89-I literally thought dry shampoo was just for when you couldn't wash it! Yes I am just this clueless when it comes to my hair. I am digging the color in the first pic you posted, might need to change the color up a bit.

Wildcat03- Velcro rollers, haven't used those in a long time but I remember my mother using them in her hair and it worked great for her. I need to do something otherwise it just hangs there, I gotta look into the dry shampoo too.

Pinto- I don't blame you one bit, I am not a do the hair girl, if I had the money for blowouts I would be all over that. Funny you mention the tea tree at Trader Joe's...I bought the body wash and didn't realize it wasn't shampoo until I was halfway through :wall:

Msop-Dry shampoo could get me away from washing my hair daily?! I'm all over that!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1479426440|4099935 said:
Msop-Dry shampoo could get me away from washing my hair daily?! I'm all over that!

YAAAASSSSS!! But not all dry shampoos are created equal... I used several that were SO. TERRIBLE. Batiste and I are in love. 8) :bigsmile: :praise:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bahahahaahha :lol: Ive done that before with the body wash too!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cute cut! I am also a "thin hair with lots of it" gal. :wavey: I use and love my hot air round brush gadget. I use a Moroccan Oil smoothing creme product on towel dried hair, then blow dry my hair 3/4 dry, section it out, and finish it off in vertical sections with the hot air brush thingy for body/movement. Takes me about 10 mins total from start to finish for my slightly past chin-length hair.

The gadget is like this, but this isn't the one I have.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/conair-hotair-brush/SBS-345825,default,pd.html#prefn1=hairType&prefv1=Hot+Air+Brushes+&start=1

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCo, does hot air like a blow dryer come out of it OR is it like a curling iron with bristles???

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1479437795|4099996 said:
JoCo, does hot air like a blow dryer come out of it OR is it like a curling iron with bristles???

It blows hot air throughout the round bristled barrel. I refrain as much as possible from using hot/flat iron type gadgets unless it's a special occasion or I need to combat serious frizz from humidity because they damage fine hair so easily.

Forgot to mention, I also find that the hair/skin/nails gummy vitamins do help to slightly thicken and grow my hair out, as well as grow the crap out of my nails. And I get to convince my mind it's a treat since its gummy. :D

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at the pics Telephone posted, I create the same style/look as the brunette in the first pic with my brush blower gadget in about 10 mins.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1479440439|4100010 said:
If you look at the pics Telephone posted, I create the same style/look as the brunette in the first pic with my brush blower gadget in about 10 mins.

Thank you for sharing I'm really not in the know with hair and have never heard of this but I plan on getting one and playing around with it!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair is fine but there is a lot of it. I've done blowouts, used a ton of different products, done color/highlights/lowlights to give the illusion of more body, but the best thing that's worked for me EVER is a Catwalk by TIGI bodifying spray. It smells amazing and is so lightweight that it doesn't weigh my hair down and I only need to use a couple sprays at my roots/crown before blow-drying my hair upside down to get amazing results.

I have actually NEVER bought product before from a salon when I've gotten my hair cut or done. Always thought it was a huge ripoff. This past August? Fell completely in love with this product I mentioned above. It works so well for me and I love the smell of it which is a giant bonus. It's $17/bottle here but it lasts me a month. I am happy to budget that less-than-$20 in to my monthly "ME" money, you know?

Otherwise, I love your cut and have often thought of doing something like that myself. However, my hair has been SO long for so long that now I'm afraid to do anything drastic. It's halfway down my back right now, and I got 8 inches cut off 3 months ago. It grows SO fast. I cut my nails allllll the time, too because they grow really fast. (I know, what a problem to have, right?) Still, it is annoying. I don't think I could do shorter hair because of this--I would need to maintain it every 4-6 weeks and I am just too damn lazy for that! :lol:

Good luck. :wavey:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1479426440|4099935 said:
You guys are the bomb diggity, thanks for all your helpful suggestions!

Scandinavian- I am so trying that hairstyle you posted, super cute and sounds easy enough.

Puppmom- I think I'm just still adjusting to the new length because it was a big change. I don't have a wand but maybe a curling iron would work? The only "tools" I have at hand are a blow dryer, round brush, steam rollers and a small barrel curling iron, I wonder if that would work

You can use your small barrel curling iron exactly the same way as a curling wand. I have done that many times. I tried to find a video to show you how, but the only one I could find was this http://tinemonsen.blogg.no/1455475730_hvordan_lage_myke_krl.html The text is in Norwegian, which is ok for me as I'm from Scandinavia and we all pretty much speak the same language (more like dialects than different languages) but I think seeing the technic is key and she shows you how to do it, and to "roll" the hair away from your face on both sides, you know? So always "up" and "towards the back" when you twin the hair around the iron :)

PS: I forgot (?) to tell you to brush your hair after you blow dry it the first time before you add any products ;)) After you have added products, you don't want to brush too much, because it removes the products. Dry shampoo can also be added at the base (just a little towards the end just befor or after you make the curls) to make it last for days :) But I always wash my hair in the morning, so I don't bother, lol. But I do when I'm going hiking, etc ;))

Oh - and DO NOT touch your hair until it is completely cold after curling!! Just stand still and let the curls freeze a little before you spray and shake, lol.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went shopping tonight for me! See, I listen to you guys ;-)

I have to say I am excited to try my new products and by the possibility of not having to wash my hair everyday.

Thank you dry shampoo!

_6293.jpeg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dry shampoo is awesome!
If you use it before your hair is greasy, i find it works best. So if I know I'm not going to wSh my hair in the AM I'll use it the night before. Then it never actually gets greasy, vs trying to fix it once it's already greasy,

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the recommendations in this thread about dry shampoos. I've been meaning to try them but can't decide on which one to buy. It's good to see the ones that have been tried and tested and loved.

Re curling irons/ rods, which one is the best please? I read that these are super super hot and can burn your hands or neck. ( I like the concept of the round hot-air brush, but am prone to hair loss).

Thank you for letting me join in. I've been growing my hair for about 2 years now and am looking for ways to make my hair fuller, better conditioned and itching also to try various styles for long hair.

StephanieLynn, kudos to you for donating your locks! Awesome! :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1479412529|4099880 said:
I like velcro rollers too, particularly for crown height and volume at the front of my face. Just one thing to keep in mind, you want to be careful how much you're using them, they are pretty bad for hair loss!!! I was using them every day when I was still blow drying and styling my hair for work.

My favorite is still hot rollers. Love them.

Do these work the same/ better than styling curling rods? And how are they on the hair loss front?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results