shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help, sorry for a long post ..had to explain a bit..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
So I went with some pics to a jeweller to get a qoute.As I was talking to him I asked him how it works if the stone would chip accidently in the process.That is what he said on the phone before.I then asked exactly what he meant by " he covers it" Well he was a bit vague saying : you know if it is a little chip on the side we may just leave it, all depends where the chip would be.He then said that a diamond is never really flawless in any case.When I pointed out that it would not be grated flawless if it was not so.I also said that the chip would downgrade the stone's clarity and weight.( I have been educating myself here for some time now)
Anyways he said I could walk out with the ring and not pay anything for the work if anything should happen to the stone.I was not too happy about that so he said" more or less" ( I would have to find out more) that he would then replace the stone .
Sorry this is getting a bit longer than I wanted.
So I called him several times because he was to call me with the price, after my 3rd call he returned my calls and I got a quote for 2 baquettes .15 cost $1180 Can= 1100 us and for .10 cost $ 700 for both baquettes = about 650 us
Baquettes color no less than G , stone is E so I asked him to match the color I think it would be better.
Clarity no less than SI 1.He said that is what he gets for his wife.I have no idea about the baquettes My stone is vvs., and rb size is 1.43 car .My finger size is 7 so I was thinking to go for .15 on each side?
He says white gold is actually stronger that platinum, not to mention cheaper.Work and gold would be $ 2750 Us funds add the baquettes price to it. Wondering your opinions please and thank you very much..

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 6:59:44 PM
Author:scarleta

Anyways he said I could walk out with the ring and not pay anything for the work if anything should happen to the stone.I was not too happy about that so he said'' more or less'' ( I would have to find out more) that he would then replace the stone .
Uh, that doesn''t sound good. He sounds like someone who might find a reason not to replace the stone if something were to happen to it in his care. Honestly, that is a risk I wouldn''t be willing to take. Is the stone insured?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Fire G : the stone has to be set first to be insured.He has insurance.Yes I would really have to talk to him about it some more.It looks like if it chipped and I did not notice it myslef I: would never know...How about his pricing? Any ideas?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I ask why you are even still trying to work with him? Seems like there are a lot of red flags for me with the way he has phrased things and seems to be tiptoeing very carefully around a lot of issues.

I don''t think I would do business there...but that''s just me.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t understand his "He covers it..." does he mean he covers it by hiding it under the prong? Or his insurance covers it? I am not sure it is your interpretation and your delivery of your words...or his words...but it doesn''t sound good reading what you wrote. I mean he didn''t sound open enough with direct answers for me to be comfortable.

But keep in mind, I have never asked that question, nor do I know what a jeweler actually does in a case like that. I just know setting my stone...2.11 carat many jewelers quoted me $350 to set it. I thought that was the insurance incase they chipped it. Insurance to return me to comparable status of a new stone. But again, I never asked the questions you did. I so hope Gary or someother diamond guru will help you with the proper phrasing to use and to get the right answer. Sorry I can''t help you with the prices. Just the funny feeling I get when I read what you wrote.

DKS

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
" does he mean he covers it by hiding it under the prong? " Well said DKS I was not sure what he meant by that , so I asked.Never thought that he possibly meant to cover with prongs.ONe never knows , so I asked and after he said I could walk out without paying just take the ring and go...Have been on this forum for a while and read a bit, so now I know a bit more..Thanks to everyone here.You guys are always so very helpful.
Thanks for the warning Neat F ; I have not decided to go with him.Just got a quote so far.Because I have the same concerns I posted here.I m also wondering about the prices he gave me..Thanks again..

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
It is hard to judge from reading just this post... but i say if you have any doubts (even tiny ones) about this jeweler, I say don''t use him.

Also

Is Gold really harder than Plat? I always thought Plat was harder and also harder to work with. Maybe that is why he wants to use Gold - easier for him to work with?
33.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to everyone who " chipped in" I will get another opinion.Many thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results