shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help selecting a pear.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone,

I realize that there is another thread already on this same topic, but I wanted to create my own as I wanted all of your expert opinions. Basically, the plan is to get a nice pear for a teardrop necklace for my fiance as a wedding gift. When it comes to rounds (thanks to many of you fine people and lots of reading) I am pretty proficient reading the numbers and images etc, but when it comes to pears I am not near as confident.

I'm Canadian, so the current value of the dollar hurts my overall budget, which isn't huge to begin with, as I spent a large chunk of the engagement ring a while back. I think it's important to have a realistic number and stick to it, so that's what I'm going to do. What I figured I would look at for a pear are the following characteristics.

- Roughly .5 a carat
- Colour no lower than I
- I'd like an SI1, but would go with SI2 or even an I1 (GASP!) if the inclusions were manageable.
- It will be set in a very simple/classic solitaire pendant, but I am not sure if I should bezel or do a classic three prong type one?

I've narrowed my search to James Allen, simply because they have all the prices converted to CAD, they have a lot of pears of this size in stock and imaged (which many other sites do not), but am open to all suggestions.

Some questions..
- Is .5 too small for that classic solitaire pear look?
- What ratio should I ideally target? ( i don't like them too chubby or too long.... so 1.5?)
- Will JA still give me ASET images of three even at that size?

Thanks in advance for all your help. You guys are great and I find so much about this process fascinating.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
No one? Have pears really lost that many fans? Or are they just super tough to buy? I figured it'd be a very classic looking necklace.

E B

Ideal_Rock
.5 carat is a great size! As for the ratio, I'd just say go by what looks best to your eye. And the ASET question, I would assume so, I've never heard of a carat cutoff.

Found any you like, yet?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi :wavey:

I think 0.5 ct for a pear is a nice size! I've settled on a 0.57 ct pear myself! The way I figured out the ratio I liked was to click on the pears that appealed to me on Jamesallen's site and jot down the ratio. I started seeing a pattern of 1.4-1.5 ratio.

I am working with IDJ for my pear project. They have access to a lot of stones. For example, any stone you see on James Allen's site that is located in NY can be called in by IDJ for evaluation ASAP.

What is your budget for the pendant?

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
This is the thread I need to be in!! LOL

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
E B|1457564226|4002271 said:
.5 carat is a great size! As for the ratio, I'd just say go by what looks best to your eye. And the ASET question, I would assume so, I've never heard of a carat cutoff.

Found any you like, yet?

I've found a couple ya. I'll have to post when I get back to my laptop, however I am open to suggestions! I wanna narrow it down to 3 solid possibilities and then get asets of them. As for budget I figure about 1300 CAD (1000 USD ) would get it done for the diamond, then the setting will cost what it costs. I'm flexible but figure I should try to stick to something modest as it's easy to get carried away! I see a lot of .5's on JA in that price range, but know I get what I pay for... Especially with diamonds. Hopefully we can find a good performer!

Bezel or prongs?

Stive85

Shiny_Rock

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1457580140|4002369 said:
I'd probably stick with G color or higher, because with pears, color will concentrate in areas.

Good pears are hard to find. Are you sure you don't want to go with a round??? You'll get better light return, and in a small stone, that really matters!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.50-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-969696

I agree about the light return for sure. I just think a pear is so unique, in that classic sort of way, if that makes sense. I do love rounds and the info that is available when selecting them, but would love to find a pear. How telling are ASET images when it comes to pears? Thanks everone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASET images are definitely useful. You just always see a lot more leakage in them than well cut rounds. However, I really do like pear shape stones in pendants.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1457588706|4002413 said:
ASET images are definitely useful. You just always see a lot more leakage in them than well cut rounds. However, I really do like pear shape stones in pendants.

Ya, absolutely. I knew that selecting a pear that sparkled as much as the ideal cut round I purchased a couple years back would be difficult/impossible, but I just find them very classic and don't see many people with them.

So essentially I look at JA and just judge as best as I can the picture, inclusions, ratio and presence of a bow tie, cross my fingers on 3 and get asets and go from there?

What about a setting? Should a .5 carat pear be set in a bezel or would prongs look ok and my make it look tiny? Thanks everyone. I'm gonna post a few to look at when I get to work.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.50-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-786984

Quite a ratio at 1.74 and I can't tell if there is a bowtie (I find it hard to ID on some stones)... Are there structural problems with these longer pears?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.50-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-969687

Another longer one, but appears to have a good spread

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.50-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-851874

Are polish and symmetry ratings very important when selecting a pear? I find it varies so much from stone to stone.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1457636967|4002806 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.50-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-786984

Quite a ratio at 1.74 and I can't tell if there is a bowtie (I find it hard to ID on some stones)... Are there structural problems with these longer pears?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.50-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-969687

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.50-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-851874

Are polish and symmetry ratings very important when selecting a pear? I find it varies so much from stone to stone.

If you would like to work with IDJewelry, you can call them and ask Yekutiel to check if any of these diamonds are in NY. If they are, he can call them in and evaluate them for you. He will provide you the ASET and IS images for you to post and get opinions on, in addition to his opinion.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1457641113|4002837 said:
Stive85|1457636967|4002806 said:

If you would like to work with IDJewelry, you can call them and ask Yekutiel to check if any of these diamonds are in NY. If they are, he can call them in and evaluate them for you. He will provide you the ASET and IS images for you to post and get opinions on, in addition to his opinion.

Thanks! My only issue with that is that it hardly seems worth it for a stone of that value... you know? There is SO much knowledge on this forum that I feel confident that I can come away with an above average pear with peoples help.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - but it is a good idea to have any vendor supply you with the ASET and IS images for the PSers to review. And any good vendor knows that today's 0.5 carat pendant can be tomorrow's earrings, upgraded e-ring, additional wedding band, etc., so it is in their best interest to treat all their clients well, and to give you all the information you need to come to an informed decision, whether it is a 0.5 carat pear, or a 5 carat pear. Just my 2 cents :D

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1457642778|4002860 said:
Yes - but it is a good idea to have any vendor supply you with the ASET and IS images for the PSers to review. And any good vendor knows that today's 0.5 carat pendant can be tomorrow's earrings, upgraded e-ring, additional wedding band, etc., so it is in their best interest to treat all their clients well, and to give you all the information you need to come to an informed decision, whether it is a 0.5 carat pear, or a 5 carat pear. Just my 2 cents :D

Thanks so much! I'm pretty sure JA will send those images as well. The thing is I have to pick three diamonds and they will give me the images and expert opinion on each, but I will definitely look into the person you suggested.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
any other opinions regarding the three I posted? Should I continue looking? Thanks

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reach out to JamesAllen or IDJ or whatever vendor you like to ask them to check out the diamonds for bowties, and if they are eyeclean to see if they are good candidates for requesting ASET and IS images, or else suggest another candidate diamond for you.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks nicely cut. Feather is running from under star facet and under edge of table on rounded end left side. Left side hip of the diamond not left side of picture. Looks good in display does not look too bad for SI2. When the display video is not moving you can see a darkened line there due due to reflection.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Pyramid|1458667434|4009443 said:
Looks nicely cut. Feather is running from under star facet and under edge of table on rounded end left side. Left side hip of the diamond not left side of picture. Looks good in display does not look too bad for SI2. When the display video is not moving you can see a darkened line there due due to reflection.

Thanks for the input! Does the feather appear too intrusive to the light return/durability of the diamond? I am also curious as to the measurements and relation to the seemingly average ratio? It looks to face up quite large, am I missing something?

Finnallllly.... haha.. How important are polish and symmetry grades for pears?

Thanks again everyone, I plan to have 3 narrowed down and imaged this week.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that's a nice looking pear! I like the shape a LOT!
Have you decided on how you want to set it? A good question to ask JamesAllen is if the feather will be affected by setting and possibly unsetting for a different setting in the future? For example, if you were to bezel the pear, could it shatter if you were to remove it from the bezel, based on where the feather is located?

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1458670382|4009467 said:
I think that's a nice looking pear! I like the shape a LOT!
Have you decided on how you want to set it? A good question to ask JamesAllen is if the feather will be affected by setting and possibly unsetting for a different setting in the future? For example, if you were to bezel the pear, could it shatter if you were to remove it from the bezel, based on where the feather is located?

I can't really decide on setting. Personally, I am not a huge fan of bezel, as I feel it hinders the light return....but then again, I won't be the one wearing it! Initially I thought of as classic a look as I could get, just a simple 3 prong setting with a thin white gold chain? Is that too simple, or even doable at all? I am certainly open to suggestions, as I know we are limited with the size of this stone. Thanks again for the dialogue everyone.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's simple at all! A pronged setting sounds lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results