shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help picking out from these 3 Rings

radeonpro

Rough_Rock
I've done some research online and read abou the HCA and all the ideal specs, and I recently bought my fiance a Tiffany ring with these specs:

.57 G VS1 $6350
Depth 61.2%
Table Size 57%
Crown Angel 34.7
Pavillion angle 40.8
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Fluorescence: None
HCA Score 1.4
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Very Good

I was thinking this is really good since all the numbers are within the recommend range. But after she tries it on, she thinks she might want something a little bigger if the budget fits, so I checked again with the salesperson and she was able to find a couple that are within my budget and still under HCA 2.0:

.74 H VS2 $7900
Depth: 61.2%
Table Size: 59%
Crown Angle: 33.8
Pavilion Depth: 43.3%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
HCA 1.6
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread Very Good

.67 G VS1 $7650
Depth: 59.8%
Table Size: 59%
Crown Angle: 33.6
Pavilion Depth: 42.7%
HCA 1.0
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Excellent

know the spec is not ideal as the one above as the i read from some posts saying table size is too high at 59 and crown angle too shallow under 34, But both the HCA scores are under 2.0, and the last one actually have all excellent values, so I am wondering are these two actually good buys or I should try to convince her to stick with the old one since that has a better spec? I am leaning toward the 0.74 since that's the largest one but should I be worried about the Scintillation being very good instead of excellent? Thanks.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these all from TIffany?
You can get an Ideal Cut .80 for under 4K plus Tiff. style setting if you can forego that little stamp inside the ring.

radeonpro

Rough_Rock
Yes, I know she wanted a Tiffany as the engagement ring so I didn't wanna get it from somewhere else, I knew Tiffany is a huge mark up, but you know how women feels toward Tiffany, it's not something I can easily convince her, lol.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

radeonpro

Rough_Rock
Yeah, if I were to pick anything over 0.80ct, I wouldn't buy a Tiffany, but since she wants something around 0.5-0.75 that she can wear everyday, and the it was still under my budget so I was willing to pay the markup. I just wanna know if I should worry about the HCA at all for the 2 larger ones. I know that HCA is a rejection tool so anything under 2 should be looked at, but I just wanna check if you guys see anything obvious that I should just rule out, because honestly I probably can't tell a difference between those when I am looking at them except the obvious carat size.

radeonpro

Rough_Rock
ecf8503|1442428724|3928505 said:
Read this: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond

Personally if I were paying for a Tiffany name I'd want the best little firecracker I could get.

Yeah, that's what I am trying to aim for, color wise I don't think she or I can tell a difference between G or H, but I want to get the most sparkle one, and it's the Scintillation on HCA that's very good instead of excellent that worries me the most, so are you saying that this range is okay as by the 60/60 rule? I didn't find the 40 combination by GIA or 26 combination by AGS that was mentioned on that link.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the measurements on the current ring and would not choose either of the two extra ones. Stick with your parameters and make them find others. Tiffany is a big company. I am sure there are other rings they can bring in. I'll never understand with their mark-up why all their stones aren't superideal cut. But since they are not, it is great that you are doing your homework to get the best possible diamond!

I look for:

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

radeonpro

Rough_Rock
Well, I had them found another one after searching, Tiffany apparently carries a lot of steep cuts, which the depth is over 62%, so this the only one below 10k:

.82 H VS1 $9650
Depth: 61.7%
Table Size: 57%
Crown Angle: 34.6
Pavilion Angle: 40.9

HCA score is 1.7, but scintillation is only very good (not excellent like I expected).

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be fun to get a little ideal scope for her to look at some ideal cut diamonds to compare to Tiffany stones so she can make an informed decision. I hope I am not harping on this subject by saying that, but as a logical person it would pain me to buy something not as well cut just because someone at a bench stamped a brand name on a setting the stone sits in.
Now I'll be quiet : )

radeonpro

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1442448089|3928634 said:
It might be fun to get a little ideal scope for her to look at some ideal cut diamonds to compare to Tiffany stones so she can make an informed decision. I hope I am not harping on this subject by saying that, but as a logical person it would pain me to buy something not as well cut just because someone at a bench stamped a brand name on a setting the stone sits in.
Now I'll be quiet : )

I asked about the idealscope and they told me that it's not possible to see the heart and arrow from a Tiffany ring, because every Tiffany diamond is preset on a setting, so you can never look at it a raw diamond, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you'll need the light to see thru the diamond in the idealscope to see that right? The only thing they can provide is a microscope that's about 10x zoom size. So I guess idealscope is not an options for me.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can easily see the arrows with a preset diamond, just not the hearts. I routinely take my scope with me when I shop for estate jewelry.
FYI, here are two photos taken through an Ideal scope for a guessing game I did with friends. One is a Tiffany and one is an Ideal Cut.
Hope this helps clarify.

img_9884.jpg
img_9878.jpg

radeonpro

Rough_Rock
Oh, great I didnt know that, where to get such idealscope thingy locally? Or is online only?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
radeonpro|1442513923|3928905 said:
Oh, great I didnt know that, where to get such idealscope thingy locally? Or is online only?

I don't know - maybe someone else can help.
Mine have come with diamonds or diamond jewelry I've bought.

I found this resource for a $25 one: http://ideal-scope.com/
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results