shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help looking for a diamond...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I updated my other thread but I see this one has more views so here goes and thank you to everyone that has contributed so far.

This is regarding the F VS1, I'm really not sure what to do at this point.

So as an update, I spoke to the gemologist at James Allen a couple of hours ago.

The gemologist described it as 'average - 5/10'. 'Big dark band across the bellyas opposed to a traditional black tie.' 'Plenty of crushed ice'. Overall'quite dark'. There were positives as well but with regard to these nothing I didn't already know unfortunately - 'faces up quite white', 'no visible inclusions', 'nice shape'.

Needless to say my order is cancelled and I am awaiting my refund and considering my options:

1. Get a round. I know I can get find something with optimum performance much easier. But it isn't what I had my heart set on and I doubt I can get to a carat whilst being mind clean.

2. Go vintage - there is an Edwardian cushion halo ring that has caught my eye, it is local enough to view in person. The colour is lower than I hoped for and I would have to totally trust my eyes. I do really like old cuts though.

3. Employ the services of GOG to search for an oval for me. I'm worried I won't get the specs I want for my budget and I can't find the cost of this service on their website which puts me off as it makes me think it's too much for me.

4. Don't get an engagement ring (already successfully done for 5 years, this is what happens when you are a picky customer with more limited funds I guess!)

5. Get a cushion, this would potentially work with my setting idea but I'm not convinced this would be any easier.

I would be grateful for some friendly thoughts, this isn't really important I know but it would be nice to have it resolved one way or another.

Since you like old cuts, have a look at JewelsbyGrace, LoveAffairDiamonds, and IvyRoseVintage@Etsy. Maybe one will speak to you.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/91ct-antique-marquise-cut-diamond (maybe a but chubby for you, but maybe a marquise old cut would work?)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/539897525/116-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-loose?ref=shop_home_active_23
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-04ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-j-si1

A few PSers have recently positively reviewed this seller.
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...ond-vintage-antique-certified-engagement-ring

Like sapphire? This might benefit from having Dan Stair or Jerry Newman to give the culet a tweak, but its a fantastic color and good proportions.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/528955...rat-natural-madagascar?ref=shop_home_active_1

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am asuming that you are reffering to the F VS2 .

If the gemmologist is right, the video isn't - odd enough ... I would have certainly appreciated an ASET shot.

Not sure what to pick from your other options: you coud always send an email to GOG - who knows, perhaps they just happen to have what you need.

It seems that the world is full of diamonds within your price range.

Cusions will not be any easier to pick than any other shape that is not a round - with the exception of the specialty cut for optics ones ... Of course, colourless D-F are not the most common option in anything.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"This is regarding the F VS1, I'm really not sure what to do at this point.

So as an update, I spoke to the gemologist at James Allen a couple of hours ago.

The gemologist described it as 'average - 5/10'. 'Big dark band across the belly as opposed to a traditional black tie.' 'Plenty of crushed ice'. Overall'quite dark'. There were positives as well but with regard to these nothing I didn't already know unfortunately - 'faces up quite white', 'no visible inclusions', 'nice shape'."

These comments are in reference to this stone correct?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3346524

Did you hear from the gemologist or a SA? I find the above statement to be conflicting
- faces up quite white VS Overall quite dark

Did you ask them for their recommendation? It is good to have a point of reference to help understand what they think is a nice stone.

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old school cut diamonds are an innteresting option.

Caveat: not many colourless ... & with few exceptions, there is no point quibbling about cut - criteria are somewhat different (not entirely a bad idea, IHMO)

Perhaps - WWW - that cuhion is so l o n g , it is almost oval ! [kidding] The same source does happen to have colourless ones - often very interesting little diamonds.

Grace has one item almost 1 ct & almost 5K - WWW ... Another interesting corner to shop, for sure.

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find the above statement to be conflicting
- faces up quite white VS Overall quite dark

... even if one 'white' refers to the colour gade & the other is about brighteness, the video still does not show anything 'dark'. On my behalf, I would play stubborn & trust what I see over what I hear.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 I definitely won't settle for a diamond I don't love or feel sure about. Over the last three years I've looked at placeholders (I have a couple of threads) the problem is these options have ended up getting pricier and pricier as I have got more knowledgable and fussier! You may be right about the holidays.

@valeria101
I was, here is the ASET the leakage is there
IMG_9712.JPG
I wondered about a Canera cushion but they are all over budget though one I found very pleasing to my eyes but it was a K I think, too low. I really like the super rounded encongated cushions and some of the old mine cuts but never seen anything in my budget preferred specs and perhaps the charm of the cut would come to bother me. I have a tennis bracelet and contemporary turquoise halo ring that I wear quite often and I would like my engagement ring to work with them, that concerns me with old cuts not sure it would work. Here is the ring I had eventually decided to base my engagement ring off, you can see it would work with any of those cuts.
IMG_9727.jpg
Here is a very very rough mock up with the now discarded oval.
IMG_9763.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander
Thanks for the suggestions. Of those posted the marquise from Grace looked the nicest (for me). I tried on a antique marquise ring recently that I really liked but ultimately decided against.
IMG_4390.JPG
I have considered sapphires but on balance I would really prefer a diamond, at least as a centre stone, not opposed to sapphire on emerald accents in a vintage piece.

On my other thread ID jewelry was mentioned by @oval_seeker as being good at finding ovals. Anyone else able to chime in with experience of this?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... even if one 'white' refers to the colour gade & the other is about brighteness, the video still does not show anything 'dark'. On my behalf, I would play stubborn & trust what I see over what I hear.

Yes, I am having problems understanding where the Gemologist is coming from. I would like to know what oval he thinks is a good stone. He may
be biased towards a certain cut of oval (which is fine, we just need to know)???

OP...this is my opinion on Aset images with respect to most fancy cut stones...they help but arent as big a help as the videos. An Aset image is just one
view of the stone. Video is multiple views of the stone...you get to see what happens as the stone moves (like in real life...except some of these videos
are flooded with light). Maybe in the future we'll get video aset images so we can see the red/green as the stone moves to actually see whats coming
into focus/lighting up etc.

I think you should ask the SA to ask the Gemologist for a recommendation in your specs so we can see what he thinks is a good stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am expecting much green & wishing for red beyond the 'bow-tie' pattern of ovals; the respective ASET isn't all that red.

Not sure why some of the most reflective areas in the video (the ends of the 'bow-tie') appear white in ASET - unexpected; however, even if this is due to some problem with strong back-lighting, correcting would turn green to red elsewhere. At best, I would expect a diligent ASET to show red over the reflective facets as they appear in the video - not allot.

The JA process does seem tedious... I am not sure I would insist on ASET details etc. given how long it takes to bring stones in.

E B

Ideal_Rock
These are a little outside your perfect ratio but they look pretty bright (apologies if they've already been suggested):

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.01-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3085570
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.01-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3139997

Kind of a wildcard as it's a modern marquise, but has chunky facets. May be too big at 10mm?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/1.01-carat-e-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-2617935

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"On my other thread ID jewelry was mentioned by @oval_seeker as being good at finding ovals. Anyone else able to chime in with experience of this?"

I find that they are hit or miss (from what I've seen)...but thats pretty much how I feel about all the vendors with respect to ovals. I like IDJ and think
they offer good value so they are worth a try. Does seem like they are willing to bring in stones until they find something you are happy with. They
are in the NY area so I think it is easier for them to bring in stones.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Digressing from the theread somewhat:

Aset images with respect to most fancy cut stones...they help but arent as big a help as the videos. An Aset image is just one view of the stone. Video is multiple views of the stone...you get to see what happens as the stone moves (like in real life...except some of these videos are flooded with light).

I am thinking that ASET does tell of how light would reflect if the stone were to move - e.g. green would be red, if the stone would turn over 45-ish degrees, red stays red within 70 deg. etc. My numbers are quite back-of-the-envelope approximations, because ASET colors are not readily labeled for this. I have always thought that IS ditched one colour tier to remain relevant over a reasonable range of realisti movement - althouth there was never much talk of this back in the day. Easy enough exercise for ray-tracign software owners.

Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone, off out now will read comments when I get back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results