shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help guys, rookie in here

zma21

Rough_Rock
Hey everybody, first post here.

I have a little bit of a sad story that I'd just like to touch on so you know where I'm at in my shopping right now. My girlfriend of 3.5 years and I are doing great, and I was planning on popping the question around christmas time of next year. Unfortunately, my mom has been battling cancer for 6 years, and is in the last months of her life. I just found out that this will be my last summer with my mom, and I've decided that I would like my mom see us get engaged. The only problem I have with proposing 6 months ahead of time is that I have a little less time to save. :naughty:

Anyway, I know what she wants. A pear shaped (MUST be pear) diamond with a simple band. Easy.

I've looked around at bluenile, but honestly I'm not even sure if it's too chincy to buy online, and I'd surly like to get the most ring for my money.

Here comes the numbers: I'd like to spend $2000 to $2500 (? -Subject to change The number will only go up, not down.)

I've been able to find .75 ct diamonds and simple white gold band combos that fit this. Any and all suggestions will make my day. Seriously.

The big stress factor his is the financial details. I'm a college student (Senior pre-med, getting ready for med school ($$$$$)), so having a short credit history paired with thousands of student loan dollars to my name leaves me in the low 600's for a credit score. I'll have over half to put down on the ring, but am worried I'll be thrown out of the store due to my credit.

Sorry guys, this is just a stressful and emotional time. I don't even know if .75ct on a pear cut is worthwhile.

Thanks so much for reading. :praise:

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I am in a similar boat here. I am just about to start on my master's in mathematics and got turned down for financing. I'm not sure if this will help, but I am working on a layaway kind of setup in my diamond shopping. My local jeweler will hold a diamond for me as long as I put down some kind of deposit and make some kind of monthly payment on it (They said even 10% down and 2% a month was fine, I didn't ask about less). Also, I e-mailed a bunch of online vendors and Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, Eternity Diamonds, Good Old Gold, and B2C Jewels all responded positively when I asked them about the possibility of layaway.

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
Try BlueNIle and GOG.com. They both offer financing with 0% APR for 6 mos. There could be other sites that have financing too.

Go ahead and apply. It couldn't hurt, and no one is going to laugh at you. Finance companies want to make money. They make money by lending money. I don't think a grand is a lot of money to ask for from a finance company. At least they will tell you just how much they will lend you.

As far as buying online, perfectly safe with a reputable company. Just read all the posts from PS'ers who have bought online. You could have the stone set by the jeweler online. Or you could finance just the stone online, and then put the cash you do have toward a setting that a local jeweler has/can get for you. That way you can have the ring in hand, and then pay it off in six months.

But make sure that you can pay it off in six months. Otherwise, whatever you owe, will be charged at a very high interest rate compounded from the first day that they gave you the loan.

Here is a pear from GOG...http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5590/

Worth a shot.

Best Wishes

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would call Good Old Gold and explain your situation. They can call in a couple of stones for you to choose from and take pictures for you. I think it is really thoughtful that you'd want your mom to share in the joy of your engagement. That is really a sweet, sweet thing for you to do. Do you think there is any chance your dad or a grandparent couple lend you the extra money under these circumstances and then pay them back monthly?

A .75 pear will be a lovely stone to start with. If in a few years you are able to get her a larger diamond for an anniversary, the pear could be set into a pendant. But I am sure she would be thrilled with whatever you give her!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A .75 pear in a simple setting would be lovely. I cant help you with any of the financial questions but I can point out some
stones that may be worth a further look. You really need to be able to see pictures of fancy cut stones. You can not buy
by the numbers.

I didnt find any that I thought were perfect but these looked to be about the nicest.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1175396.asp / kind of big bow-tie /
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1337617.asp / same here /
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Premium-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1342032.asp / ? /
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1334284.asp / looks like probably leakage down in the point /

Diamonds by lauren has some pears...
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/categories/loose-diamonds-pear-shape-diamonds/page-1/

This one is cute but its at the top of your budget and may have visible inclusions.
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-76ct-pear-shape-fsi2-gorgeous-stone-r3976

GOG will bring some stones in for you to look at (pics/videos). They are good at finding nice stones that match your specs.
For some reason all the small pears in stock are really ulgy :wink2: .

Hope this helps. Sorry to hear about your Mom. :((

zma21

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much to everyone. Your fast responses are serious great help.

Apparently, you guys are MUCH better at searching for diamonds than I am. That pear from GOG for $800 has better stats than the stones I've been finding for $1500. Of course, I'm going to try my best to buy the stone for ... the stone, not the price.

By mid July, I should have over a grand saved up. If I can get that $800 rock on hold and I deem it to be the one, I won't be far off at all!!

Time to do more hunting, and once again thanks so much everyone! If you guys find any other good stones, please feel free to post them up. :wavey:

zma21

Rough_Rock
Howdy again everyone.

Well, it's been a while and a lot has happened. A little less than a month from my original post, my mother passed away. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to get anywhere near popping the question ($ wise) and even If I did have the dough my girlfriend was in Spain for the last month of my mom's life.

Anyway, fast forward to present day, and I'm in a slightly better decision to buy an engagement ring. Over christmas I manned up and asked my dad for a small loan ($1k) and he counter offered in excitement and said he'd give me 2-3K. Holy crap. Also, I received a check in the mail from my grandma for $1500, because she wanted to help with the ring as well. If you can't tell, my family loves my future fiance'.

Now I'm back looking to buy again, but this time my budget is closer to $4000. I will have the full $4000 in my hands the first week of March (I have about $2k right now), so I'm not necessarily interested in financing.

I'm still unsure about buying online though. I feel that I will be able to get the best diamond for my money online, but I need some help looking. I plan on picking out the band in person, as my girl has given me a little bit more of a clue as to what she likes.

Did I mention I'm planning on proposing April 9th, my birthday? Should I be freaking out that it's less than 2 months away and I'm starting from scratch, buying wise?

Anyway, here's what I'm looking for in regards to the ring:
1) Must be pear shaped. Must be. I want to find a hybrid of the biggest/best quality diamond I can for my money. Greater than 1ct sure would be nice!!

2) The band has to be antique looking, with somewhat of a "fish tail" design where it meets the diamond. Leave this part up to me, however.

If you guys can post up some links to some good PEAR shaped diamonds, I'd be forever in your debt. Do you think I can pull this off in this short of a time frame? I'm taking the MCAT on May 31st, so I've been so busy time flew right out from under me. :wink2:

The band is going to be white gold, and simple yet antique looking with no diamonds. I'd be surprised if I spent > $1500 on this, but then again I have no idea.

Hopefully you guys can help me organize my thoughts and get the best possible ring for my money that I can!

Thanks again everyone, you're lifesavers. :lol:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know much about pears or how to judge them but I would absolutely recommend GOG. Jon and his staff will be able to help you! :))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo said:
I don't know much about pears or how to judge them but I would absolutely recommend GOG. Jon and his staff will be able to help you! :))
agreed. You really need images to judge fancies. Ask a vendor for their opinion in regards to your budget and desires. GOG is a good place to start

zma21

Rough_Rock
farmer gal|1329363109|3127152 said:
This looks like a nice pear from GOG
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9114/

Ask if it is eyeclean

Here is a white gold antique looking setting

http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7222W4JJJ

Wow....I love...that setting. Seriously. She stated she wanted some sort of an antique setting almost with a "V" as it comes to meet the diamond, but I know she would love that. I love that too. As of right now, that's my #1 setting. Since she's not particularly picky about the setting, I'd be totally cool spending that little for it, and splurging on the rock. Being able to spend $3500 on the stone would be fantastic. Plus, I'd feel better if she wanted to change the setting down the line, rather than the stone.

Thanks so much guys!! Keep the wonderful advice coming!

I'm going to sleep on that setting for about a week. If I come back to it and still love it and haven't found anything better (or with a rounded v shape) I'll probably order that setting.

I cant tell you all how thankful I am you guys are here to help me. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :love:

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
If you look on the gabriel website they have a lot of settings to choose from, GOG carries this line so if you call them about a diamond I would get the setting through them as well it makes it easier :twirl:

zma21

Rough_Rock
farmer gal|1329407877|3127381 said:
If you look on the gabriel website they have a lot of settings to choose from, GOG carries this line so if you call them about a diamond I would get the setting through them as well it makes it easier :twirl:

I looked on GOG and was struggling to find a pear diamond that I was interested in.

Thank you again for the setting...I looked over 2 hours yesterday and didn't find a single keeper. Then you popped up and aced it. :lol:

Any way to find out if that setting will hold a pear besides calling GOG? I'll have to wait until I get to my office tomorrow to call, so my girlfriend doesn't see the awkward call #.

If it will hold a pear, I'm about 95% sure I'm going with it. Thanks!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I would talk with John at GOG, hopefully that is how he spells it. He should be able to tell you more about the setting and also look at pears that he has in store, and perhaps source some if needed :twirl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, JA is the only place to shop for pears on-line unless you want to go with a single vendor and let them find you
a pear that meet your specs. JA has pictures and can provide you with aset images.

Well, I just took a look at JA. The good news is that JA has lots of pears in your price range. The bad news is that
there arent too many nice looking ones.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1396332.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1428503.asp a little over budget
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1461406.asp I color may show a little color in the tip
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Very%20Good-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1462335.asp over a 1 carat but dont like the faceting
pattern too much

So sorry for your loss.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
If you have a little left over in your budget, you might consider buying the matching wedding band at the same time as the engagement ring. That way, if your wedding isn't soon, you don't risk the matching band being discontinued.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I don't know anything about pears, but you might consider this one:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7330/

Make sure to ask if it is eye clean. It will be a little over budget once you throw in the setting though.

zma21

Rough_Rock
Thanks again to everyone who is helping me along with this mission.

I have some questions regarding the diamond. I'll realistically buy one in the $3500 range (considering I'm almost sold on that vintage setting posted above), but what are the characteristics I should be interested in?

Obviously, size is somewhat of a factor, but if I had to choose between a Very Good .8 Carat vs. a Mediocre 1.0 carat, I'd go for the better diamond.

However, to those that have compared pears to pears (so to speak :rodent: ) is there visually that much of a size difference between say a .8 and a 1 ct diamond? Really?

I've gone to a store recently and it was terribly awkward, and the salesperson must have said "online diamonds are terribly misleading" about four times in the first two minutes of our conversation. She also told me that my $3000+ budget wouldn't get me much of a diamond over .5 ct, so I decided to walk out. Anyway...

I really want a diamond that is as close to colorless as possible, and I want there to be no (unmagnified) inclusions at all. I'd rather any inclusions be as minuscule as possible. I almost wish I could push back the proposal date to this summer because I'd net an extra grand, but the timing is oh so perfect in 2 months.

Anyway, I apologize for rambling as I have so many questions to ask. Please bear with my unorganized thought process. :oops:

zma21

Rough_Rock
So I just got off the phone with GOG, and they're going to call me back to make sure that the setting I like can work with a pear in the .8-1 ct range. I'm really going to try to do my transaction 100% with GOG, unless someone finds me a diamond elsewhere that I simply can't turn down.

Also....he said that setting will take 2 weeks. How much will this generally cost? I didn't figure setting the diamond would be that laborious of a task. Looks like I still have more research to do. :read:

Thanks again everybody! :wavey:

zma21

Rough_Rock
I'm blowing up my old thread.

So I didn't love any of the diamonds that GOG had in stock. There was one in my price range and I didn't love it...weird dimensions. So, they are going to look elsewhere.

Will they look at other online resources such as blue nile, whiteflash, etc?

Because I found what appears to be a great stone at a good price at bluenile.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02395491

Or am I looking at this totally wrong? :lol:

I'm going to start reading more and posting less, I swear. :???:

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
One thing you should know is that when a diamond gets to 1 ct., the price jumps a little. Because many people have the idea that a diamond should be 1 ct., there's more demand for that size, so the price goes up. If you stick to just under 1 ct., you should be fine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results