shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help from any Canadian -

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Merry-lynn

Rough_Rock
I''m looking to learn more from someone who has purchased a diamond or diamond ring from a US site. I''m curious about customs, duty, etc.

Can anyone help me out?

thanks

ML

digitring

Rough_Rock

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

While I have not purchased a loose diamond from outside of Canada, I have purchased pearls, gold, loose semiprecious gemstones and diamond jewellery from different online vendors of repute. In my case, no problems were encountered, regardless of whether the jewellery was shipped via FedEX or insured US Postal Service.

When the vendor ships a parcel via the Postal Service across the border, they are obligated to disclose to Customs what is inside of the package. In any case, ande especially if there is a substantial value attributed to its contents, you can be sure that Customs will open the package--this has happened to me in 10 purchases out of 10. All they need to do is look at the enclosed receipt of the transaction, and assess the tax on the US exchange/amount (17%: GST and excise tax on diamonds and jewellery). In the case where there is no receipt enclosed, the product may be held in Customs until proper paperwork is produced. Packages that I have received through USPS have been rewrapped by Customs and sent with their original boxes, etc., to the post office near you, where you pick it up and pay the charges to the post office.

Any products that I have received through a courrier such as FedEx, also have the value disclosed on the package, but FEDEX charges a surcharge (I've paid up to $40) to "get" it through customs for you, and you receive the "bill" when you sign for the package at your door or at the depot.

Should you decide to return your across border purchase, these taxes will be refunded, just show proof of return (mailing proof) and Customs will refund your money.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Sharon

Merry-lynn

Rough_Rock
Thanks for posting this link:

From BN - "This charge is a reimbursement for costs Blue Nile incurs when shipping your order to Canada. Costs include shipping fees paid to carriers, as well as federal and provincial taxes levied when your shipment is imported into Canada. It is our intention that you will not have to pay any additional tax on this purchase other than these anticipated costs."

However, I also read (somewhere) that we STILL can get dinged with the duty, etc. although that has been taken into account by the seller.

I'm really paraniod cause a uneducated decision on my part could result in paying more for the ring than I would here.

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results